How do I get rid of Google Assistant on my home button

theonlynikki

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
When I long press the home button Google usually comes up. Now all of a sudden it's Google Assistant. I went into the settings and turned the toggle switch off, but now when I long press the home button it only asks me to turn it back on again and won't go to Google. How do I fix this? I don't want assistant.
Galaxy s6

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
When I long press the home button Google usually comes up. Now all of a sudden it's Google Assistant. I went into the settings and turned the toggle switch off, but now when I long press the home button it only asks me to turn it back on again and won't go to Google. How do I fix this? I don't want assistant.
Galaxy s6

I had to uninstall the current version of the Google app. You may also need to disable automatic app updates.

I don't know what has been going on with the Google app the past 5 or 6 months, but the "now on tap" screen search makes the app erase my typed text after about 5 or 10 seconds, on every version except the stock installed app. And the current version will not disable the assistant. It has these issues with the GS5 and GS6!

Is there a way to type your result with the Google assistant active? I don't want to talk to my phone all the time.

theonlynikki

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
I honestly haven't messed with the assistant app. I need to google stuff when I'm in meetings or at my desk and I can't just talk to my phone. And don't want that stupid voice interrupting a meeting! It's embarrassing.

arak_sonofthunder

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Galaxy S6 - Had the same issue today - very annoying. Was working yesterday and now only Google Assistant with long press. How do I get the Google App with the news headlines back with the long press? Went through all settings and cannot find where to delete Google Assistant; only to turn it off.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S6 - Had the same issue today - very annoying. Was working yesterday and now only Google Assistant with long press. How do I get the Google App with the news headlines back with the long press? Went through all settings and cannot find where to delete Google Assistant; only to turn it off.

Go to the Play Store, use the hamburger menu to go to "My Apps and Games" and uninstall the "Google" app's updates. You should also hit the 3 dot menu when you are on the Google app's description page, and ensure that automatic updates are turned off for that app.

TKemist

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
DGCamero … I unstalled recent update as u suggested but now Google jus force closes when I try to open it from the app store or by long pressing home button. I haven't yet updated to Nuget… but I doubt that will fix it, will prolly jus update goigle and reinstall Assistant. My other thought is to find the last all just before the incorporation of Goigle Assistant? BTW… what good is an assistant if it doesn't know when to shut up… when u wanna talk and when u can't and need to type????

arak_sonofthunder

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
I un-installed and it almost came back. I was able to get the weather and 1 news story but could not see any others. Went into settings and all my interests are still checked off. Re-did the update and it's back talking to me again. Shut it off for now.

Finally moved the "G" button that also opens the app to a convenient place on my home page and will be using that until this get's resolved.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
DGCamero … I unstalled recent update as u suggested but now Google jus force closes when I try to open it from the app store or by long pressing home button. I haven't yet updated to Nuget… but I doubt that will fix it, will prolly jus update goigle and reinstall Assistant. My other thought is to find the last all just before the incorporation of Goigle Assistant? BTW… what good is an assistant if it doesn't know when to shut up… when u wanna talk and when u can't and need to type????

Maybe try clearing the Google app cache (settings, applications, application manager, Google) and then maybe the Android cache (settings, storage, cached data -- yes)...and then reboot.

If that doesn't work, I read to set the language to "English, US Virgin Islands" in the app and it will disable The Assistant because Assistant is not available for that language.

Good luck, and everyone please make sure you leave a review about wanting to be able to type your Google search while you have the app updated, and also send feedback to the developer. If people are not vocal, Google might never fix this!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Most of these are just temporary work arounds... Google is going to migrate every 6.0+ phone to Google Assistant over the course of the next few weeks/months. I am sure they will enhance things, based on feedback. But any fussing with versions and updates is a dead end.

If you need to search stuff, use the google homescreen widget, which is still the text-based interface.

sesesese

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Swipe up utility, home button launcher, or similar apps from the play store allow you launch any app when you long press the home button. You can set it to launch the Google app instead of assistant.

Last edited:

evaasineva

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
I think I solved it (At least for now). I went to the application manager in settings. Went to the Google app and uninstalled all updates. Restored it back to the factory app and now no more Google assistant.
(Galaxy S7)

Austin White3

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
I had to uninstall the current version of the Google app. You may also need to disable automatic app updates.

I don't know what has been going on with the Google app the past 5 or 6 months, but the "now on tap" screen search makes the app erase my typed text after about 5 or 10 seconds, on every version except the stock installed app. And the current version will not disable the assistant. It has these issues with the GS5 and GS6!

Is there a way to type your result with the Google assistant active? I don't want to talk to my phone all the time.

I'm on the GS7E I've had that same deletion issue happen to me for a long time and I'm getting really sick of it. How do you go months and months without finding a major bug like that? Sometimes I spend a good 10 seconds typing in the search bar only for it to be erased and I have to retype it.

Now they release Google assistant without the option to manually type what you want to search.. Google is making some bad plays. I'll be resetting Google back to an old version until they can pull themselves together and get it right.

Last edited:

Suad Mahmutovic

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
If you want just regular Google then just go to actual Google app and it will come up just like it did before assistant. Home button will only activate assistant. Hope this helps all!

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Just call 650.253.0000, hit 6,5,0, and then listen to the android responses...hit the correct ones, and tell them to disable the stupid assistant and keep whining and complaining until they fix it.

I'm on the phone number a real person who seems to have a US accent right now.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I also called a non US based Google rep on the phone with Samsung in a three way call...Samsung had me call Google's 855.836.3987 number. He's supposed to be calling me back tonight because he did not have information about Google Assistant, much less how to disable its hindrance.

Elbradito

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
Galaxy s6

Although I like the assistant, I was also upset by the change in functionality of the home button. Although long press still brings up the assistant I found this tweak in settings to keep the original function as well.

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7172704?hl=en

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170313-101808.jpg
    Screenshot_20170313-101808.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 19

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I also called a non US based Google rep on the phone with Samsung in a three way call...Samsung had me call Google's 855.836.3987 number. He's supposed to be calling me back tonight because he did not have information about Google Assistant, much less how to disable its hindrance.

Hate to break it to you... they are mostly going to just appease you a bit. Google Assistant is a core part of Google's services on your phone. You can turn it off, but it'll just ask to re-enable it, and you are not going to be able to go back to Google Now/On Tap (at least easily or without repercussions) ... because that feature is in the process of being deprecated by Google.

And you aren't going to get a lot of sympathy from Google, they are very proud of Google Assistant and have put a tremendous amount of time, money and effort into its development. (And they should, it's a great feature)