04-03-2017 07:20 AM
57 123
tools
    Now you're lying.

Also, this is what I meant: "In several fields, deprecation is the discouragement of use of some feature, design or practice; typically because it has been superseded or is no longer considered efficient, or safe – but without completely removing it or prohibiting its use."
    Right but that didn't happen. Both voice and text input are still possible and easily accomplished. Please don't accuse me is lying. You not understanding something doesn't mean I'm trying to deceive you.
    03-24-2017 06:02 PM
    On Tap never had text input. Never. What it did have is an icon that dumped you back to the Google app where you could type in a query. The Google app is still there, the only thing missing directly from Assistant is the quick link icons.

In fact, On Tap deprecated the old ring launcher that brought you directly into Google Now... Requiring you to add an extra step to get into text input, which is no different than Assistant.

There are still several ways to get there... Hell, you could tell Assistant to 'open Google' and drop you into the same search On Tap to.
    03-26-2017 09:45 AM
    Those quick link icons also seem to still be there.
    03-26-2017 10:25 AM
    On Tap never had text input. Never. What it did have is an icon that dumped you back to the Google app where you could type in a query. The Google app is still there, the only thing missing directly from Assistant is the quick link icons.

In fact, On Tap deprecated the old ring launcher that brought you directly into Google Now... Requiring you to add an extra step to get into text input, which is no different than Assistant.

There are still several ways to get there... Hell, you could tell Assistant to 'open Google' and drop you into the same search On Tap to.
    Where is there no text input on Now on Tap? (the last version before Assistant was forced)
    Attached Thumbnails How do I get rid of Google Assistant on my home button-2663.jpg  
    04-02-2017 08:34 PM

This is what happens when you start typing.

When I'm in a place where I need to be silent, and not say "open Google" (eh, about ⅔ of my searches) and I do want to search my screen at least half of those times, and the other third of the time, I just want to type my search without having to stop what I'm doing to open the app. It's inconvenient for Samsung users. I take it you're not a Samsung user because you mentioned the ring which Samsung never had, though they might for the S8.
    Attached Thumbnails How do I get rid of Google Assistant on my home button-2665.jpg  
    04-02-2017 08:39 PM
    And you can get to that same Google search widget any number of ways with as much effort. Besides, it's a matter of when, not if, Assistant gets a text entry shortcut, like the screenshot shortcut that's in there now.

So you have to alter your usage patterns a little bit. What did you do before On Tap? Software isn't static, it evolves in steps.
    04-02-2017 10:13 PM
    Data from screen

Text search

Both still exist with either one or two button presses, depending on what you're doing.
    04-03-2017 07:20 AM
57 123