Is there a setting to disable notifications popping up after dismissing texts in messages app?

RedMugs

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Let's say I get a text from my friend that pops up, I dismiss it, then a little later it pops back up. The only way to stop this is to go in the app and actually go view it even though I already just read the text through the notification. This really bugs me and any help would be appreciated.

P. S. I'm not really looking into getting an alternative messaging app and my phone isn't rooted.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does this happen for every app or just the Messaging one? If it happens for every app,you might have notification reminders set up in your Accessibility settings (basically telling your phone to re-play notifications every set amount of time until you've read/cleared them all).

As for the messages being flagged as read, it depends on the app you're using whether or not viewing the message from the notification and not in the full app will flag it as such.

RedMugs

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Yes this is just the messages app when viewing through a notification. Is there any way to stop from showing up again once I clear the notification?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, if your Notification Reminder isn't on on Accessibility (and I assume it's not because you say this happens just with the Messages app), truth is this shouldn't be happening. I don't have an S6, but I tried running the stock app on an S7 and I can swipe away the notification and don't see it again, UNLESS you get another text, which prompts the notification back, and since I haven't read the conversation, the old message shows up as well.

Have you tried clearing the app's cache and see if that helps? You could clear data as well but not sure if that will wipe away your texts, which is obviously a bad thing so unless you can back them up, I wouldn't recommend doing that.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
i have just tested this on my s6 and it seems like if you just swipe the notification off it will still show as unread when you open the messaging app. so it looks like this is normal

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
i have just tested this on my s6 and it seems like if you just swipe the notification off it will still show as unread when you open the messaging app. so it looks like this is normal

Yeah, that's normal (unread status), but the OP is having the issue that, once swiped away, the notification is coming back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781