Facebook issues since update!

blansh

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I just updated my s6 Facebook app and my feeds no longer load.
I sent them a message but nothing yet. It seems to have started with the update, i cleared the cache and data, reinstalled and no change.
the feeds look like this (screenshots)
18052822_10155221536399859_1876656023_n.png

if anyone has any suggestions. One told me to turn off/and on wifi, then airplane mode.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
While you're waiting for a solution from Facebook, I suggest using Facebook's mobile browser site, which is almost as fully functional as the app (and hogs less memory and battery).

blansh

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
i might just do that, or stick to desktop for the time being. Any idea what could be the issue? Nothing I've tried so far has worked, but no one else seems to be having this particular issue. My phone is fine otherwise, I've checked it out thoroughly as I can.

Lo and behold, the mobile browser site is functional...all news feeds working.

jevalladares

Samsung Galaxy S6 Champion
Q&A Team
Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello blansh

Try resetting the facebook app and setting it up again. Don't worry, you wont loose any information.

To reset your facebook or any app just follow the steps below:
1. Goto settings
2. Tap on Applications
3. Tap application Manager
4. Search for the facebook app and select it.
5. Tap Storage and then tap on the "CLEAR DATA" button.

Next log in to facebook like it's the first time.

Hope this helps

Erasmo

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe the OP already tried that -- mentioned clearing cache and data, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

It can be hard to know why the app is malfunctioning. It might be a glitch in the current version that only surfaces on your particular S6's firmware. Or perhaps you have some other app that's causing a conflict (which would be difficult to pinpoint).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
While you're waiting for a solution from Facebook, I suggest using Facebook's mobile browser site, which is almost as fully functional as the app (and hogs less memory and battery).

This, absolutely. I always think about switching to their mobile browser site or a Facebook-alternative browser.

blansh

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I know, I have tried to figure out what could be causing this issue. All other apps are working and I have indeed tried all those solutions: clearing data, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc. The news feeds still do not load. I have yet to find a solution, but it does seem to be recent since the latest update. Every time facebook updates there's a problem!
How would I be able to pinpoint if another app is causing it, or what in the firmware could be the issue?
Meanwhile, I'm using the web based browser with no problem.

blansh

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
yes, i'm using the mobile browser site on chrome and no problems with anything. The desktop version is fine. I have no idea what the issue is but have sent the problem to facebook.

UPDATE: One of the newsfeeds is now loading properly, that is the local one. The others, i.e. Most Recent, still not loading. Whatever, Facebook....

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're still on Marshmallow, then go to the Play Store and look for Android System Webview. If it needs to be updated, then update it and see if the problem goes away. But if it says it's up to date, try tapping Uninstall (which will only uninstall updates), since updates to this system app can sometimes cause odd glitches on only certain phones.

Android System Webview is automatically disabled in Nougat, because it's essentially integrated into Chrome.

Sheldon1451

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
VERY frustrating! Same issue with Facebook. It acts like it disconnects from the wifi and just won't reload. I've tried it all. Uninstall. Reinstall. Force stop. Clear data. Turn off WiFi and turn it back on.. The only thing that works most of the time is to restart my phone.. It's a pita!! I'll send a complaint to Facebook now... Maybe if they get enough they'll fix it. Good to know I'm not alone though

blansh

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Maybe you can help me out then, it says the version of android is 6.0.1, but I believe it's nougat not marshmallow. Is there a way to find the exact info?? I do have webview installed and it is up to date. thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you can help me out then, it says the version of android is 6.0.1, but I believe it's nougat not marshmallow. Is there a way to find the exact info?? I do have webview installed and it is up to date. thanks!

6.0.1 is Marshmallow, so Android System Webview would not be Disabled.

blansh

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
thanks. I haven't gotten Nougat yet then.
Facebook updated again, but the same problem is more or less there, slow updates on news feeds etc.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The web version is just a website. The app has code that could be glitchy. If the problem is with Facebook's servers, then you might see the problem on the site as well, but if it's a glitchy app, then the site should work fine.

blansh

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
yes, of course, it's just a website! but this glitch is new...either that or Facebook for android has changed features. Every time they update, something goes kaflooey, at least the website works and doesn't drain the battery as much. I've sent them help requests but....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was just trying to explain why the website works better than the app. You're probably right -- it may have been due to a glitchy app update. Perhaps they were trying to fix something related to Nougat, which backfired and caused issues on Marshmallow.

Ree55

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
There's another update in January 2018 that causes issues...my mobile FB closes on it's own now that I've updated it. Beware.

Ree55

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
There's another update in January 2018 that causes issues...my mobile FB closes on it's own now that I've updated it. Beware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt