Nougat 7.0 on Galaxy S6 - NOT happy

Davide Carozza

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Cricket too. Your best bet is to go to a Best Buy with a Samsung Experience Center in it. You can find their locations online. They'll update the phone for you for free--this includes small updates for security patches, by the way. I used the service to upgrade from 5 to 6, and will go back soon for 6 to 7. I went in about ten days ago and they gave me the latest security patch but told me they didn't yet have the Nougat update. They tend to run 2/3 weeks behind the OTA release. Still, it's a great option. If you go soon and they do have the update, please let me know!

Otherwise, head over to XDA and you can learn how to manually install the update yourself. It isn't very hard, but it does involve wiping your phone.

Smithy Smith1

May 17, 2017
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy S6 phone was just updated to Nougat (Android 7.0.x) with much fanfare about the "new look". I am extremely unimpressed. Specific irritations:
(a) The font is much smaller, with more blank space around the font, with the result that each icon takes more space but is (for my eyes) harder to read. In other words, the screen is much less efficiently laid out than before, and more difficult to read.
(b) The calendar now doubles every entry, and each is harder to read for the same reason of the "look".
(c) The telephone app (supposedly the reason for owning that device) is more difficult to use: it's harder to read, for reasons stated above, and the "Favorites" tab for telephone numbers has disappeared so that it's necessary to go an extra step or two to call home.

I am currently typing on my Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet, and it's nagging me to make the update. I don't want to do that if the same change in "look" will happen, and I have little doubt that it will.

So here are my questions:
1. Is there a way to change the look and feel of Nougat to more nearly mimic the old Marshmallow appearance? Accessibility settings aren't helping. Maybe there's a default font setting I've missed.
2. Is there a way to undo the change and revert back to Marshmallow on my phone, now that it's already had Nougat installed?
3. Is there a way to set up my tablet (still running Android 6.0.1) IN ADVANCE so that I can revert back to the older software if Nougat is as inconvenient on this device?
4. What happens if I just don't update the software?
5. Any suggestions on how to get the calendar apps to stop duplicating entries? It happens with both the Samsung and Google calendars. I installed the Google calendar after the Samsung calendar began duplicating.
6. How, and to whom, can I give feedback to the developers? I want to complain and give them specifics!

I can attach screenshots of the phone's 'new look' and the tablet's current look, for rough comparison, if that would be useful.

lslajohn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy S6 phone was just updated to Nougat (Android 7.0.x) with much fanfare about the "new look". I am extremely unimpressed. Specific irritations:
(a) The font is much smaller, with more blank space around the font, with the result that each icon takes more space but is (for my eyes) harder to read. In other words, the screen is much less efficiently laid out than before, and more difficult to read.
(b) The calendar now doubles every entry, and each is harder to read for the same reason of the "look".
(c) The telephone app (supposedly the reason for owning that device) is more difficult to use: it's harder to read, for reasons stated above, and the "Favorites" tab for telephone numbers has disappeared so that it's necessary to go an extra step or two to call home.

I am currently typing on my Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet, and it's nagging me to make the update. I don't want to do that if the same change in "look" will happen, and I have little doubt that it will.

1. Is there a way to change the look and feel of Nougat to more nearly mimic the old Marshmallow appearance? Accessibility settings aren't helping. Maybe there's a default font setting I've missed.
2. Is there a way to undo the change and revert back to Marshmallow on my phone, now that it's already had Nougat installed?
3. Is there a way to set up my tablet (still running Android 6.0.1) IN ADVANCE so that I can revert back to the older software if Nougat is as inconvenient on this device?
5. Any suggestions on how to get the calendar apps to stop duplicating entries? It happens with both the Samsung and Google calendars. I installed the Google calendar after the Samsung calendar began duplicating.
6. How, and to whom, can I give feedback to the developers? I want to complain and give them specifics!

I can attach screenshots of the phone's 'new look' and the tablet's current look, for rough comparison, if that would be useful.

Same concerns here and I am a low vision user, so it's a real problem. I've called my provider , ATT, Samsung, and Google. After six conversations it was determined they have lots of complaints of this type. Duh! There are third party apps you can install to enhance the notification bar and pull down window. I use Material Status Bar Pro (paid version). But my biggest issue is the loss of adaptive fast charging. The device drains fast and no longer has fast charging available.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Same concerns here and I am a low vision user, so it's a real problem. I've called my provider , ATT, Samsung, and Google. After six conversations it was determined they have lots of complaints of this type. Duh! There are third party apps you can install to enhance the notification bar and pull down window. I use Material Status Bar Pro (paid version). But my biggest issue is the loss of adaptive fast charging. The device drains fast and no longer has fast charging available.

General visibility and contrast / overuse of negative space has been an issue since Material Design imo. But Nougat is even less visible. I use the Material Black theme which helps me for almost everything, and seems to help the battery life. My VZW GS6 battery life is actually much better with 7.0, but this phone was produced late 2016, so the battery is fresh...maybe that has something to do with it.

You should not have lost Adaptive Fast Charging. It may have been disabled in the settings? (Settings, battery, 3 dot menu, Advanced Settings). If it's enabled and not working, try a different cable / vacuum out your charging port and the cable.

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site

As for your font, I switched to Samsung Sans and it's helped greatly in making it easier to read but also looking like marshmallow?

Eric Peterson8

May 4, 2017
Visit site
And there doesn't even seem to be the excellent ultra power saving button that was on Marshmallow

Under settings -> Device Maintenance -> Battery there is a Power Saving Mode menu with Off, Mid and Max. I have mine on Mid which doesn't help with my lousy battery life (started when I "upgraded" to Nougat). On Max it behaves like Ultra, turning off all apps and providing a very limited main menu. But that still doesn't help (much) with my battery life. On Mid I have 11% discharge after 4 hours. On Marshmallow there would have been about 3-4% I do nothing with my phone. The battery discharge screen always shows Device idle and Android System as using all the power.

I have tried clearing cache, factory reset, safe mode, airplane mode (that helped once but only once), turning off packages with disabler pro, resetting the battery, fully draining and recharging the battery, etc. Edit: also had Sprint store reload nougat. I would have preferred going back to MM, but the reload was what they offered. That made no difference either.

Last edited:

Abi Morrison

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I have been searching for way too long for any mention from Android that they are both aware of AND are going to be fixing the battery drain problems so many of us seem to have with the Nougat update. I can't find anything. Does anyone else know if they are going to be fixing this? It is completely maddening!

Eric Peterson8

May 4, 2017
Visit site
Abi, I have no idea but I think the ball is in Samsung's court. Do you have a Galaxy S6 like me? I leave mine plugged in so it less useful. I have wasted many hours trying various suggestions, from many well-meaning people, but ineffective to solve the problem. It is almost certainly a bug within the OS. Not a rogue app since turning apps off (safe mode) doesn't help. Also it is not mere coincidence that it started the moment I completed the nougat upgrade.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech