love my s7 active!!!

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
...it shoots RAW, focuses faster than any other smartphone, and has OIS... I have access to an iPhone 6s Plus, which is more accurate overall out-of-box, but RAW totally trounces that. S7 series camera is also sharper than iPhone 6s Plus (which i seriously considered, having borrowed one, and an S7 as well, for a week, to make my decision). Also AF on S7 series is WAY faster, tracking works as well as a Nikon D300 pro DSLR, and RAW with Adobe Lightroom means you have every bit of data to play with... on your phone...

All taken with the S7 Active in Pro mode. RAW original files available if you dont believe me. One niggling issue with Lightroom is no noise reduction function; 1st and 4th photo i could do WORLDS better with on my editing machine, but all shot and processed on the device. 4th photo is also heavily cropped in. Originals and edits are also FAR sharper than shown; Google photo reduces them and i dont feel like taking the time and energy to post 1:1 crops or link full res.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 16

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Picked mine up yesterday. Got the grey version and had store install a Zagg glass protector. So far I am a little overwhelmed with touchwiz/Android. Stunned by the amount of bloatware, flipboard.... seriously??? Havent dunked it in the water yet but plan on it soon.
Coming from windows phone I am not overly impressed with the OS but will wait and see. If anyone has a good article to point me to for setting things up the first time I would appreciate it.
Regarding the phone itself, build quality seems top notch. Wireless charging works with all my old nokia qi chargers so thats great.
Of note, the material at the corners is not rubber, no rubber on this device, it is actually a leather type of compound.
Anyways, a lot more i need to look at, play with, figure out.

PLaBar

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
tkuhe - totally agree about the flip board and bloat ware stuff. Having come from WP too it was shocking. And I hate that every app you download seems to want access to everything. I'll get use to it, but WP was just a totally opposite experience. I get a lot of pop up too telling me my OS is corrupt and I need to download an Android Cleaner... I just laugh them off, but they are annoying.

I disagree on the corners of the phone. I am not a scientist, but they seem like a synthetic material. Which is not to say that's bad (in fact it may be good). It's just to say I don't think it's a natural material like leather or even rubber for that matter.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I disagree on the corners of the phone. I am not a scientist, but they seem like a synthetic material. Which is not to say that's bad (in fact it may be good). It's just to say I don't think it's a natural material like leather or even rubber for that matter.

My wife has contact allergy with rubber so I contacted samsung on two occasions to find out if there was any rubber. One time they came back and told me it has leather in it. Not sure if thats true or how is manufactured. Anyways, no rubber so thats all I care about.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Picked mine up yesterday. Got the grey version and had store install a Zagg glass protector. So far I am a little overwhelmed with touchwiz/Android. Stunned by the amount of bloatware, flipboard.... seriously??? Havent dunked it in the water yet but plan on it soon.
Coming from windows phone I am not overly impressed with the OS but will wait and see. If anyone has a good article to point me to for setting things up the first time I would appreciate it.
Regarding the phone itself, build quality seems top notch. Wireless charging works with all my old nokia qi chargers so thats great.
Of note, the material at the corners is not rubber, no rubber on this device, it is actually a leather type of compound.
Anyways, a lot more i need to look at, play with, figure out.

I agree!
I hate bloat and I hate flipboard...doesn't everyone? :p;)

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Samsung sure knows how to make an awesome camera. My iPhone takes great shots too but the color and detail definitely outshines it on the S7.

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
This is the first phone my GF and folks have had that they have not threatened to go back to Apple devices (grandfathered unlimited data which we use extensively with AT&T on android, switched from iphone 3g unlimited data to android unlimited data, so we cant go back to apple grandfathered unlimited data as far as i have been told). GF had an older Android and iPhone 6 for work; folks had an S3; now S7 Active. None of them care about root/ROM/tweaking etc; all they care about is stability, usefulness, camera, and battery life.

I have ALWAYS screwed with my phones (...and cars, computers, cameras, bikes; anything really); this is the first one that out of the box i was happy with. Yeah, i tweaked it, but its been very impressive, even totally stock. We've soaked ours with no issues, repeatedly. GF and folks love theirs; even my dad, and he DESPISES technology.

Technical camera review/synopsis below.

S7, S7 Edge, and S7 Active cameras have comparable OIS (optical stabilization) to lense stabilization found within the venerable $700 Nikon 18-200 VR f3.5-5.6 (Mk-II) and $650 Nikon VR 70-300 f4-5.6 with VR (Vibration Reduction, same thing as OIS). Thing is, with Nikon and Canon DSLR's, you have to buy specific optically stabilized lenses (typically zoom lenses), with the S7 series, its built in and always active. Granted, it has no optical zoom or interchangeable lenses (but its a fixed lens camera... on a PHONE...). Also, in RAW+Jpeg mode (available in Pro mode in Camera app), 12.5 stops of DR at ISO 400 which is comparable to the 2009 Nikon D300 pro/prosumer DSLR i drag around with me daily that was $1700 new, also at 400 ISO. I built a business and a career around that camera as well as ancient Canon XH-A1 tape-based HD footage. And i can now replicate the same results, with a MOBILE PHONE. Thats pretty impressive. AF tracking works JUST as well as the Nikon MultiCAM AF-3500DX in my 'drug-everywhere' Nikon D300 pro/prosumer DSLR with 51 point AF 3D tracking, and with a wider spectrum of available focus and focus tracking points. WORLDS better than the XH-A1 videocams i shot with, equipped with 35mm adapters, SLR lenses, etc etc.

Also, D300 is 12.3mp; S7 series is 12mp... Same difference. In RAW there is no sharpening or added BS; just raw data recorded, and i can view/edit them lightly in Adobe Lightroom on the fly, export as jpeg etc.

For what it is, it works incredibly well. For what it isn't, i can't complain; i have a D300 and D4s and a bag of crazy expensive lenses, as well as Blackmagic Design cameras that shoot RAW video and accept my Nikon lenses and OIS Panasonic Lumix 12-25 f2.8 lens that i use for work or whenever i want.

With such a tiny sensor, the perspective is always way off, i have basically no depth of field to play with, zoom is a total joke as its digital, and creatively i cannot get any distant shots remotely close to how i would like them, but thats a physical limitation. It also allows me to take RAW shots in places and circumstances i would not DARE risk taking $1400-$5000 worth of camera/lens combo's for a quick candid shot, so for that its awesome; lets me take shots i would otherwise have passed up so as not to risk expensive gear, and i have the same fidelity as a pro/prosumer SLR. And its a PHONE, that within its limitations, competes with a flagship DSLR (albeit from years past) with ease.

I would NEVER take any of my DSLR's, m4/3 RAW Blackmagic Design bodies that shoot RAW digital film (no phone shoots RAW video, YET...), or expensive lenses to the places ive already taken the S7 Active.

For me, its been great; dunked it, bonked it, swam with it, flipped my kayak with it, filmed under and over water with it; bitrate in video and fidelity in HDR is close enough to old AVCHD and HDV tapes (analog compressed vs digital compressed), and most of all, i am unafraid to USE it in places i would NEVER risk my precious work gear.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown