S7 Active stock battery performance for an average user

djarvik

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Recently got S7A and have a question about battery performance for stock everything.
Last few days I was getting around 15-16 hours from the battery with about 4-5 hours of screen time.

(sorry, no screen shot yet, will take one in the next day or two, this is from my observation)
Biggest hogs were:
screen at 22-25%
android system 20-22%
google services 10-12%%
pokemon go 10-12% (errrr, don't judge)
chrome 8-10%
android OS 8-10%
Facebook 7-8%
rest is small stuff

My question is: Does this look normal for an S7 Active?

(I did download the latest update)

Last edited:

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
No joke I get about 30h. I just opened the battery app and with 100% charge its saying estimated time remaining 41 h 20 m.
I have heard facebook is a hog.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday was the first day I've not plugged the phone in any during the day and also didn't heavily use the phone during the day except for an hour of Facebook and Flipboard before work. Got down to 5% by 11 pm after initially taking it off the charger at 5 am.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Facebook and Pokemon are battery hogs. I guess for zero optimization it isn't bad but I get 8 hours SOT practically every day and I sync email, have a smart watch connected thru bluetooth, auto brightness, the works. All I did is disable all bloat, use dark wallpapers and only turn on location when I need it.

djarvik

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
If facebook and PGO are such battery hogs, then why I don't see it through battery stat screen? Is that because the Location services and Data services are not included under these apps in the stats?

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Only, sometimes it dims out too much and I'll bump it back up a bit. I'm not really complaining about the battery life, TBH. But it would be nice to be able to get more out of such a massive battery. But...the phone does what I need it to do. And now that I switched to unlimited data, even more so.

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
most i got was 44 hours, LOTS disabled, mostly on wifi, 50% of the time GPS enabled, but 8 hours SOT; LITERALLY down to 1%, and it died about 2 minutes after i got the screenshots. This was in an area of 4-5 bars signal strength initially, and at the VERY last hour, in a location where signal strength is 1-2 bars at BEST. With the EXACT same app settings, VERY similar usage, about same SOT, we see about a 30% reduction in battery life, due to the phone radio needing more power to maintain signal contact, as well as wifi signal as we have 2 repeaters to cover our house and yard (cinderblock and steel building, middle of nowhere, LTE is iffy its mostly HSUPA/HSDPA mostly, about 20% is real LTE speed/coverage).
oil2a.png

1zovytt.png

Average, with no facebook/messenger, wifi on maybe 10% of the time, 8 hours SOT, GPS on 50% of the time, everything i use daily enabled, i get about 34 hours reliably to about 10%, again in the 'middle of nowhere', mostly cellular network. WITH wifi on all day, about 40 hours with 8 hours SOT.

In more urban areas with better cellular and wifi strength, we average closer to 42 hours with 8 hours SOT. I tweaked both identically utilizing app power saving, tasker, greenify, no 'always on display' unless charging, App disabler Pro, etc. Both are within an hour of eachother; probably due to differences in app utilization.

Signal strength affects battery life considerably; where we live, 1 bar is average, 2 is in specific places, so the radio has to chew WAY more battery and work WAY harder. Sadly, our phones are about 4-5x faster than our internet/wifi (2Mb down, 512kb up cable LOL), so that ABSOLUTELY affects battery life, rather dramatically.

These screenshots represent about 33 hours (35 according to battery stats if you add it up; i always take off some time to be safe) with NO wifi at ALL; 1-2 bars of strength (havent had internet for 2 days due to storm damage), and an estimated 8 hours SOT based on battery at 50% and 4 hours SOT so far.

abqo9y.png

2j4pqxh.png

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Seems about right. I've been getting about the same, but a little more. I use the following apps and it has helped:

- Package disabler pro (remove all bloatwate, disable KNOX)
- Force Doze (default setting)
- Greenify (manual hibernate only, default settings)
- Using METAL or FOLIO instead of Facebook and FB Messenger

Attachments

• 19708.jpg
    19708.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 21

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
most i got was 44 hours, LOTS disabled, mostly on wifi, 50% of the time GPS enabled, but 8 hours SOT; LITERALLY down to 1%, and it died about 2 minutes after i got the screenshots. This was in an area of 4-5 bars signal strength initially, and at the VERY last hour, in a location where signal strength is 1-2 bars at BEST. With the EXACT same app settings, VERY similar usage, about same SOT, we see about a 30% reduction in battery life, due to the phone radio needing more power to maintain signal contact, as well as wifi signal as we have 2 repeaters to cover our house and yard (cinderblock and steel building, middle of nowhere, LTE is iffy its mostly HSUPA/HSDPA mostly, about 20% is real LTE speed/coverage).
http://i66.tinypic.com/oil2a.png
http://i64.tinypic.com/1zovytt.png

Average, with no facebook/messenger, wifi on maybe 10% of the time, 8 hours SOT, GPS on 50% of the time, everything i use daily enabled, i get about 34 hours reliably to about 10%, again in the 'middle of nowhere', mostly cellular network. WITH wifi on all day, about 40 hours with 8 hours SOT.

In more urban areas with better cellular and wifi strength, we average closer to 42 hours with 8 hours SOT. I tweaked both identically utilizing app power saving, tasker, greenify, no 'always on display' unless charging, App disabler Pro, etc. Both are within an hour of eachother; probably due to differences in app utilization.

Signal strength affects battery life considerably; where we live, 1 bar is average, 2 is in specific places, so the radio has to chew WAY more battery and work WAY harder. Sadly, our phones are about 4-5x faster than our internet/wifi (2Mb down, 512kb up cable LOL), so that ABSOLUTELY affects battery life, rather dramatically.

These screenshots represent about 33 hours (35 according to battery stats if you add it up; i always take off some time to be safe) with NO wifi at ALL; 1-2 bars of strength (havent had internet for 2 days due to storm damage), and an estimated 8 hours SOT based on battery at 50% and 4 hours SOT so far.

http://i63.tinypic.com/abqo9y.png
http://i65.tinypic.com/2j4pqxh.png

WOW how did you do that? Brightness all the way down? That is impressive...