Owning a Samsung carrier exclusive device

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What are the issues some of us might face when owning a carrier exclusive device such as the S6 Active and S7 Active? Here are some of my observations after spending time in this forum:

Limited Support
Deciding to purchase a carrier exclusive device, one should realize that Samsung and AT&T allocate a minimal amount of resources to address issues with the device. I'm not saying that they ignore the device, but its not likely they have people developing, testing, updating and repairing as much as the S6 or S7 versions. I experienced this last year with addressing the "water damage not covered under warranty."
The Marshmallow update came in late June if I recall correctly. Even with the Samsung repair center in Plano, TX it was almost certain that a repair was delayed on the S6 Active due to unavailable parts.

Samsung Protection Plus
Now this is purely speculation, but after learning a bit more about Samsung's process in terms of replacement devices, I feel a bit more educated. Carrier exclusives seem to be absent from Protection Plus. Even though the S7 Active is a big deal (and a big hit), its not there. There probably isn't a huge supply of these devices readily available. It wouldn't make sense for Samsung to make more than what AT&T wants, and I expect AT&T would return with another order if the demand was high. But certainly there is enough to support and repair based on some formula. Can Samsung not guarantee replacement Active devices can be sent out within 1-2 business days? ( The insurance is managed by an independent entity)

Smaller User Base
For people who often dismiss screen cracking issue or water resistance issue, their argument suggest that we are only a few out of millions who own the device. Perhaps they are thinking there are the same amount of S6s or S7s exist and the problem isn't as large as we're making it out to be. On the contrary, we're a smaller group and unless someone knows the exact number of devices out there they can't make a valid point as to what is a defect or error on part of the manufacturer.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
What are the issues some of us might face when owning a carrier exclusive device such as the S6 Active and S7 Active? Here are some of my observations after spending time in this forum:

Limited Support
Deciding to purchase a carrier exclusive device, one should realize that Samsung and AT&T allocate a minimal amount of resources to address issues with the device. I'm not saying that they ignore the device, but its not likely they have people developing, testing, updating and repairing as much as the S6 or S7 versions. I experienced this last year with addressing the "water damage not covered under warranty."
The Marshmallow update came in late June if I recall correctly. Even with the Samsung repair center in Plano, TX it was almost certain that a repair was delayed on the S6 Active due to unavailable parts.

Samsung Protection Plus
Now this is purely speculation, but after learning a bit more about Samsung's process in terms of replacement devices, I feel a bit more educated. Carrier exclusives seem to be absent from Protection Plus. Even though the S7 Active is a big deal (and a big hit), its not there. There probably isn't a huge supply of these devices readily available. It wouldn't make sense for Samsung to make more than what AT&T wants, and I expect AT&T would return with another order if the demand was high. But certainly there is enough to support and repair based on some formula. Can Samsung not guarantee replacement Active devices can be sent out within 1-2 business days? ( The insurance is managed by an independent entity)

Smaller User Base
For people who often dismiss screen cracking issue or water resistance issue, their argument suggest that we are only a few out of millions who own the device. Perhaps they are thinking there are the same amount of S6s or S7s exist and the problem isn't as large as we're making it out to be. On the contrary, we're a smaller group and unless someone knows the exact number of devices out there they can't make a valid point as to what is a defect or error on part of the manufacturer.
Great time for me to read this... a week AFTER a buy my S7 Active! :cool: Never really gave it a lot of thought - just liked the phone after dealing with the Note 7 Fiasco. Did not like the S7 Edge and the regular S7 was too small so I went with this... the battery had a lot to fo with my decision. We'll just have to see how it all pans out.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, as with every single device made, YMMV. I've had a great experience with the software on the Samsung phones that I've owned. That's one reason I keep going back. The cameras are great and you can be sure that your device is capable of taking great pictures.

It might be a good idea to get carrier insurance on your device if you haven't done so. This will allow you to avoid the whole repair process for a bit more money. $8 per month/with a $200 deductible I think. File a claim if your screen shatters (the most expensive repair) or send it in to Samsung for water damage.

It's also a good idea to have a back up phone handy as the repair process can take up to 10 days.

I'm not trying to scare you into returning the phone, because the S7 line is great, including the Active. Just make sure all the bases are covered so you can use your phone the way it was meant to be used.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Great time for me to read this... a week AFTER a buy my S7 Active! :cool: Never really gave it a lot of thought - just liked the phone after dealing with the Note 7 Fiasco. Did not like the S7 Edge and the regular S7 was too small so I went with this... the battery had a lot to fo with my decision. We'll just have to see how it all pans out.

Definitely do not regret buying an S7 active. It is likely one of the best, if not the best android device available to date. I own the S7 active and an iPhone 7 Plus and am thoroughly satisfied with both. Remember also that when you buy an exclusive device such as the S7 active that runs on GSM bands it is much more highly sought after when you want to resell it. Unlock the device and sell it abroad for almost what you paid for it. That has been my experience with previous carrier exclusive devices and I expect it to be the same when I choose to sell my S7 active and move onto the S8 active or whatever is available at the time.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
That's a good point on resale. I think I traded off my S4 Active back to AT&T for $75 and it was only a year old. :(

The user base being small does suck, though. Even when I go into the AT&T store, they act like they've never seen the phone before, even though they still have a poster of it on their wall.

I will say, water resistance has held through hundreds (maybe thousands) of miles of running and the resulting sweat. I'm happy they fixed what was wrong to my satisfaction.

That being said, if my iPhone 6 Plus had waited a few more months before suffering water damage, I'm almost certain I would have gotten an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. Really, the thing that got me willing to try Samsung again was all the commercials for the Note 7. But it wasn't out yet...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown