Active button doesn't work when screen has been locked.

L E M

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

This issue is driving me crazy. For some reason, once I turn off the screen by pressing the power button and then wait a little bit, if I press the Active button to bring up any chosen app, it doesn't do anything. This morning, for no reason, it worked for a few hours, but then the same problem. Other times, the screen comes up but it asks me for my fingerprint. Has anybody had these issues?
I asked this question in the XDA forums but only one person answered and it worked for him. But seems it's so random, that I would like to get more input from you guys to see if there is something wrong with my phone.

This is my configuration and how to test it:

1. Be sure that when you click the Active button it brings up an app.
2. Go to "Lock screen and security" and click on "Screen lock type". Select a fingerprint and a secondary locking mode (Pattern, PIN or password)
3. Go to "Secure lock settings" and click on "Secured lock time". Select the first option "Instantly with the power key or..."
4. Press the Home button and then the Power key to turn it off.
5. Wait a little bit. Sometimes it could be seconds or up to 10 minutes.
6. Press the Active button. Does it do anything?

Thanks so much

UPDATE: It seems that if you have the app "Activity Zone" configured for the active button, it usually works more often. Could you guys try with a different app?

Last edited:

L E M

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
Never mind. Since nobody can't spend a few minutes trying this, I went to an AT&T store to check this myself.

Last edited:

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the S6A and the active button works the same way. If you have a lock on your phone, the active button will bring up the app, but in the background. Once you enter your pass code (whichever option that may be such as swipe, PIN, etc), the app should appear and open. Unfortunately, even with the "active key on lock screen" option set to ON, the app will not bypass the security lock. I wish the phone would allow you to go into the desired app, bypassing the lock screen if the "active key on lock screen" option was set to ON, but it doesn't unfortunately.

L E M

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I have the S6A and the active button works the same way. If you have a lock on your phone, the active button will bring up the app, but in the background. Once you enter your pass code (whichever option that may be such as swipe, PIN, etc), the app should appear and open. Unfortunately, even with the "active key on lock screen" option set to ON, the app will not bypass the security lock. I wish the phone would allow you to go into the desired app, bypassing the lock screen if the "active key on lock screen" option was set to ON, but it doesn't unfortunately.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a developer so I have also be doing some testing about the active key. The Active key does bring the app back on, but only if it's doing something in the background, I assume if it has a service running, for example, getting the current location. If that's the case, it will come up, no matter how long the screen has been turned off. However, on the other hand, if the app that you want to bring up is the calculator, it will never do anything at all.

Also, it will ask you for a password every time, unless that app has the option to disable the lock screen (I think also needs to be in in the foreground but I haven't tested that), such as Google Maps or the Activity Zone. Not many apps do that. Even the activity zone I think it goes to a sleep state sometimes, and it won't bring it up at all.

primek

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
Hi LEM!
I am interested in this topic as well. Have you maybe find a way how to turn on torch/flashlight from turn off screen. It would be really convenient to just grab phone from pocket and press one button to turn torch on and off. (Maybe on a double press so it wont acitvate in the pocket). Going to activity zone and turn it on there consumes just much more time and ease of use if one uses it frequently

If not: Does active button turn on the screen if you press when screen is turned off?

Is there a torch app that you can use for that or you have to automate is with some app?

Thanks for the info in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38