Unable to set DEFAULT APP on my S7 Active

anon(9126477)

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I've followed every instruction available and I cannot get Google Photos or Gallery to set as Default. Both of the apps "clear all" buttons are grayed out and showing, "None set as default" which are also grayed out.

Thanks for any and all Help.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, can you clarify--are you trying to make either Google Photos or Gallery as the default app when you want to view an image, or are you trying to set a certain app as a default to share an image when you're in that gallery app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
"Go to supported URLs" doesn't look greyed out for Google Photos--what happens if you tap it?

anon(9126477)

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
It gives you three options, Via this app, Always ask and In other app. Choosing any of the three changes nothing. I'm just going to leave it alone for now because if I take a photo for some reason it goes to both apps which is a good thing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm just going to leave it alone for now because if I take a photo for some reason it goes to both apps which is a good thing.

Oh wait--from what you just said, I think I see what the issue is. When you take a photo, it will automatically show up in both the Google Photos and the Gallery app, because both of those apps display your photos by building a database of locally saved images (as well as those in the cloud). In other words, the photo files aren't actually being saved to those gallery apps--they're saved instead to the /DCIM/Camera directory. The gallery apps are simply a way to display the photo files that are saved on the phone.