So when do we get Nougat?

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Everywhere announcing it's coming to the S7 and S7 Edge. I can't remember from when I had my 4 Active how much of a lag there was...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately there hasn't been any official word from Samsung, let alone carriers, on when exactly these are coming, and since the Active (if I'm not mistaken) is an AT&T thing, they're the ones that should release the update. For the S7/S7 Edge it allegedly is coming this month (and some users HAVE received the final build already), so unless AT&T slacks too much, it shouldn't take terribly long for the Active to see an update since it's basically the same phone.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
From "The Android Soul" (don't know how reliable they are) "AT&T Galaxy S7 Active - Nougat: expected release date: April-May 2017.

Don't shoot the Messenger but I wouldn't doubt it at all! Hell, I can wait... I still have to wait until fall of 2017 for my Note 8 so "waiting" and "patience" are going to be the new things for 2017 for me!

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Hah! That's cool. Hope I still have the phone by then. Battery drain and lag has been atrocious. Been tempted to fish my water-logged 6 Plus out of the drawer.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hah! That's cool. Hope I still have the phone by then. Battery drain and lag has been atrocious. Been tempted to fish my water-logged 6 Plus out of the drawer.

??? Because I no longer have my Note 7 (and it's better than my Note 5, that's why I bought it!), I basically told myself I JUST have a smartphone and I guess I don't use it as much as I did my Notes. However, I see no lag and the battery has been excellent for me... as a matter of fact, probably the best Android phone I've had yet for battery life! Maybe I'm just not doing enough to create your "atrocious" drain, but I'm not experiencing your problems!

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I know. I think we've had this convo before. My battery life stinks. I use Facebook a lot for persoanal and my wife's business page. Something about FB's apps taxes my Samsungs' batteries a lot more than it ever does my the iPhones I've had. Maybe that's it. I also keep most of the google stuff enabled. When I switch to power saving mode, my bat. life is a lot better. Right now I'm at 78% battery life after taking my phone off the charger 5 hrs ago and that's pretty exceptional for this phone lately. A couple of days this week I was at 40% by lunch. I thought it was because I had a Gear S2 Smartwatch that was tethered to it and all the associated synching involved. Ditched it and it's still a fairly fast-draining phone for me.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, the FB apps have always been battery hogs in Android (remember, the team that does iOS is a separate entity) and FB has even admitted that, for some random users, they do introduce bugs on purpose to evaluate reactions and feature use. If you use FB a lot, you might try to look at either using the mobile site (which you can still get notifications from via Chrome) or a 3rd Party FB app.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

It's amazing how different usage scenarios affect battery life. My battery life is absolutely amazing. Now my S7 active is no longer my primary phone,
f466d9ed7116a5bccf04aefeda3c41d8.png
579336a1adb025a1139c83f871fb8ac3.png
it is my back up but on the current battery cycle it looks like I will probably get at least four days with about 1 to 2 hours of screen on time. Perfect for me.

To stay on topic though, I'm in no hurry for the new nougat release since marshmallow is perfectly good as it is.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Since the Galaxy S7 Active is an exclusive deal with AT&T, this means even if Samsung releases the update for the standard and edge variant of the S7, it's up to AT&T to release it for their device. So I presume it will take a little longer but hopefully before March we can get the update.

Maybe send a message to AT&T and ask.

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Forget about March Matty - the article I read that said April/May and what Aquila said about June/July are much more realistic for a one-off, single carrier phone like we've got here. "Patience" is going to be the word for the next six months, unfortunately!

Cricket Jiminy

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
New to this little forum. I got the S7 Active the very day it went into AT&T... and on that same day, I got it unlocked and put it on Cricket. Before I had gone back and forth between the S7 Flat and S7 Edge. The Flat had a tiny battery, and the Edge I kept reading was super fragile. So that is why I went for the S7 Active.

I was very disappointed to find out that the S7 Active were not that waterproof (not like advertised), and I had to drown my phone to get it replaced with a proper one. Now I am very disappointed that Nougat is taking forever to update. The unexcusable glacial speed of Samsung updates has been enough to make me swear off Samsung.

BKRel, I have pretty much the same battery life as you do in my S7. Rather disappointing. I too have a Gear S2 tethered to mine. I am really looking forward to the Nougat option with the dialed-down display which might mean extra battery life.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
In my experience Android devices, especially Samsung, usually run best on the version of the OS they were released on and actually begin to under-perform when updated to the next. As a matter of fact I have a Note 4 that is a beast running a custom KitKat ROM. I did try it on Lollipop but went back to KK while I still could. At any rate, that is why I do not yearn for what the next version promises.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well... if, and I'll emphasize IF you're adventurous, you can have it now. I loaded it tonight and the phone is up and running fine - smooth, clean, no glitches, no errors, no lag... sweet! Android 7.0 - G891AUCU2BPL4... got the .zip file from XDA Developers site, put it in the root directory of the SD Card on my phone, then just used the "Apply Update from SD Card" command from the same Menu where you "Clear Cache" from. Took about an hour and a half to do the install and "Restore" my Apps, Data, etc from 6.0.1. *TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK* Just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone - I've done this many times in the past with several other phones so I am used to it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie