s8 Active - no love?

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
No chatter about the device from anywhere. A Google search pulls up a few sites that were made just to get searchers to click, but nothing solid.

No forum love either, but there is a sub forum for a Note 8 where people can talk about what they'd like/make explosion jokes.

I understand it is a carrier specific device so the appeal is limited, but surely someone is interested?

I want a phone that is not curved, that I can put tempered glass on. I finally found a wet install protector for my Edge that is great...but it feels like l'm swiping my fingers over grandma's linoleum, not glass.

VR capable would be nice too but not a deal breaker. As Ive stated Im really waiting on Note 8 though...but I would be stuck with either a scratched up screen or a protector that is less than ideal.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There was a 3 month difference between the S7 and the S7 active. Perhaps the same thing will happen with the S8.

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested. But like Golfdriver said, it's usually a few months after the main flagship. I too also wonder if we'll even get an Active this year considering the S8's ratings for everything already.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
No forum love either, but there is a sub forum for a Note 8 where people can talk about what they'd like/make explosion jokes.

I understand it is a carrier specific device so the appeal is limited, but surely someone is interested?

I want a phone that is not curved, that I can put tempered glass on. I finally found a wet install protector for my Edge that is great...but it feels like l'm swiping my fingers over grandma's linoleum, not glass.

Funny, I'm using mine to wait for the Note 8 also! BTW, I used the Bodyguardz HD Contour tempered glass screen protector and it's been on since I bought the phone last year - no problems and smooth as glass ('cuz it is, I suppose) no scratches yet either! Just an idea seeing we still have SEVERAL months to WAIT for the Note 8! :)

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested. But like Golfdriver said, it's usually a few months after the main flagship. I too also wonder if we'll even get an Active this year considering the S8's ratings for everything already.
This is what they said after the 7 as well and there was a 7 Active as we know. I am pretty sure there will be an 8 Active. Might be the same size as the 8 but I doubt it will be the limited bezel look to allow for the more rugged housing.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I spoke with a Samsung rep today who said there are no plans for the s8 Active. Im seeing chatter online that supports this. Im bummed out by this, I planned on waiting to see how the s8 performs and deciding between an Active or a Note 8 preorder when it is showcased.

Seriously considering just keeping my Edge now and when it dies buying J3 type phones.

ETA: or Motorola as my work phone will most likely be Samsung

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with a Samsung rep today who said there are no plans for the s8 Active. Im seeing chatter online that supports this. Im bummed out by this, I planned on waiting to see how the s8 performs and deciding between an Active or a Note 8 preorder when it is showcased.

Seriously considering just keeping my Edge now and when it dies buying J3 type phones.

I wonder what the Sales Numbers looked like on the S7 Active vs it's predecessors to see if there was a fall off or an increase or what? Would be interesting to know that but I doubt AT&T would ever "spill the beans" to us commoners on something like that! I mean, even if they just met the previous model's sales figures, Samsung would probably say "No" to making a new S8 Active Model for them! I'm sure they'd want to see a $$$ reason to set up an assembly line just for AT&T!

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what the Sales Numbers looked like on the S7 Active vs it's predecessors to see if there was a fall off or an increase or what? Would be interesting to know that but I doubt AT&T would ever "spill the beans" to us commoners on something like that! I mean, even if they just met the previous model's sales figures, Samsung would probably say "No" to making a new S8 Active Model for them! I'm sure they'd want to see a $$$ reason to set up an assembly line just for AT&T!

Very small potatoes compared to s7 and s7 Edge among At&t customers, but large enough I think to make a small batch. Most of the people I encounter with an Active specifically sought the phone out because of their occupation and lifestyle.

I cannot see how that need will not increase after looking at the s8 and no uncurved option being released.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

No disrespect but personally I think many Samsung representatives ONLY know about the main S series and the Note series. One time was talking to a Samsung representative and mentioned my wife was looking for the Rugby pro and he asked me who made the phone, and then said that phone didn't exist after I told him Samsung.

Pretty much the decision on if there will be an S8 Active will entirely be if AT&T wants it or not.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

The S8 Active is definitely coming :) This is why I've kinda stopped talking to Reps. To be honest, sometimes we know more than they do lol. Always look at the date when the S7 Active launched and only when that date has passed 1 year later then start to wonder. The 'Active' has been my dad's favourite since the S5 Active.

Android Central
9to5google

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Great find 'lafountain' - thank you! You should actually start a new thread and post that link so others can see it and title it "Galaxy S8 Active coming in the near future!" or something like that!!! That should catch people's eyes!!!

The S8 Active is definitely coming :) This is why I've kinda stopped talking to Reps. To be honest, sometimes we know more than they do lol. Always look at the date when the S7 Active launched and only when that date has passed 1 year later then start to wonder. The 'Active' has been my dad's favourite since the S5 Active.

Android Central
9to5google

'Matty' and 'lafountain', if you folks don't mind, I'm going to start the new thread - this is great news and should have a better, more noticeable Title. Let me know if it's O.K.? I don't want to steal your links and idea but we really should do this for the Forum...

*NOTE* I just went ahead and did it but gave you both credit! Thank you both for the research!

Last edited:

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Yee-Haaaaa! Awesome... can't wait to read more - this finally answers our question anyway. Great find 'lafountain' - thank you! You should actually start a new thread and post that link so others can see it and title it "Galaxy S8 Active coming in the near future!" or something like that!!! That should catch people's eyes!!!

I wonder if Justin has seen it yet?

He has now!

I will be accepting donations so I can afford to have both the Active and Note.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
No disrespect but personally I think many Samsung representatives ONLY know about the main S series and the Note series. One time was talking to a Samsung representative and mentioned my wife was looking for the Rugby pro and he asked me who made the phone, and then said that phone didn't exist after I told him Samsung.

Pretty much the decision on if there will be an S8 Active will entirely be if AT&T wants it or not.

Understood, but this wasn't a phone or store rep, someone has never given me wrong info before.
Im really hoping it is going to happen.

Cricket Jiminy

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
No chatter about the device from anywhere. A Google search pulls up a few sites that were made just to get searchers to click, but nothing solid.

Very true. Amazing considering that since June 2016 until a couple of days ago (ignoring a few weeks of Bruckheimering Notes), the S7 Active was the top-of-the-line model from one of the two global cell phone titans.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
IDk about that site, seems like a "hey lets register every dot com there is" type.
PLUS its not loading any text.

I read for a half an hour... ??? I read the original article and then there were like five sub articles? I just checked it again from your post and it worked for me from there too.