Recs for a somewhat thin/lightweight case that still provides some drop protection?

JLB22

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung S7 with a Speck Candyshell case. It's a great case but it's a little bulkier than I'd prefer. It's such a nice phone that I'd like to try a thinner case that shows off the phone a bit more. However, with the glass backing of the phone and lack of a decent tempered glass screen protector, I'd feel safer if I had a case with a least some drop protection and a bit of a lip around the screen. I'm very responsible with my phones and almost never drop or damage them, but at the end of the day, I'm human.

I have the Ringke Fusion now which is really nice but I'm a little nervous that's not not quite enough.
Does a light and thin case with drop protection even exist? I feel like Goldilocks here...Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Some cases I'm considering:

Spigen Ultra Hybrid (Had this with my iPhone in the past and liked it a lot. It has military grade drop protection while still being light but I see some people are having issues with the back sticking to the phone)
Caseology Skyfall Series
Diztronic Full Matte TPU
Incipio Dual Pro (this might be thicker than I want)
Oblique Naked Shield
Tech 21 Impact Clear Case (I think this is UK's pricing)

kelela92

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna have to follow this thread. I purchased a Spigen Thin Fit. Love the form factor, but I know it's not protective to drops. However, my phone is still thinner and more narrow than my S5 with the wireless battery cover and that was my goal. :) Actual drop protection would still be nice. I looked at the specs on all of them. The front lips are always my biggest issue/concern. And most of them are so thick! Boooo. Hopefully you'll get some replies.

Needkeys

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Take a look at the Tumi case for the S7. I had the speck but stopped using it because I didn't like how it felt when pocketing the phone. The Tumi case doesn't add any bulk to the device,models good in the hand, and offers drop and screen protection

teg10

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Also check out the Seidio Surface case, or if you want more versatility, the Seidio Convert Combo: https://www.seidioonline.com/device/galaxy-s7/. I posted this under the Cases sticky, but Seidio is having a 30% off sitewide sale with free shipping.

While a tad spendy, Seidio is very high quality and their Surface case strikes a great balance between lightweight and durable. The Combo is basically the Surface + an added optional layer and holster. The holster is an add-on (i.e., you have to pay more) with the basic Surface model, and is a slightly different design.

FYI, like Needkeys, I came from a Speck (and also a Spigen Tough Armor, which I still like).

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I'd recommend looking at evutec,patchworks,and ballistic. I've tried all and they are all great. Thin but protective. Magpul should be coming out with their galaxy s7 cases soon as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering what you landed on. I usually just default to Spigen because I like how they feel. I have the Slim armor with kickstand. It feels great for a protective case. But like you I wanted something slimmer so have the Spigen Thin Fit on order. I think I may end up going between them. I don't think one case will offer it all.

H2oflyer

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
I use 2 Griffin cases, both drop rated with real testing and good grip and anti slide backs and raised edges.

Survivor Clear... not too bulky and shows off the S7...classy.. 4ft drop rated.
Survivor Journey...bulkier, tougher, charcoal with coloured accents.. 6ft drop rated.

My S7 in the Clear case has been knocked off the kitchen island a couple of times with no problems.

I did try the Casemate Tough which I had previously used on my Sony Z5 which
survived many drops. But the S7 version had over sensitive chrome buttons which I couldn't live with.