Wireless charging with case

Marcojul

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys.
This is probably a simple and stupid question but here it goes.
it
I got my new s7 edge with a wireless charger stand from Samsung now I want to invest in a protective case for the s7.
My question is: Can the s7 be charged wireless on the original Samsung charger stand even if the phone have a protective cover/case.

Thx

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the case, but so far the ones I've tried (both from Spigen, one very thin, the other a little thicker with a kickstand) haven't had issues at all with any of my charging pads.

You might run into trouble if the case is too thick, though, but I haven't heard anyone complain yet when using Otterboxes, and those are some of the thickest ones I've seen.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad we could help! Enjoy your new device!! I'd recommend you get a thin-film protector for the screen as well. You never know, and better to scratch a 7-dollar protector than a 700-dollar screen soldered and glued to the phone (S7 Edge is pretty darn hard to repair without damage). I got an IQ Shield LiQuidSkin HD Ultra Clear one and it's been great. Full coverage (even edges), exact cutouts for buttons and sensors, doesn't add glare or obscure the screen, pretty much 'invisible'. Only downside is that application can be cumbersome with their 'applicator liquid' (which is just water and detergent) and the edges can be tricky to get to stick, but if you use plenty of liquid and let it dry enough for the edges to stick afterwards, it's pretty great and a lot easier to install without bubbles than most.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
the only issue I have had is with a kickstand case. I have a casemate that will only charge in a specific location. my other cases are very forgiving.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I charge fine with the regular samsung charging pad and the otterbox symmetry case. I wouldn't be able to tell you if the case is hindering because I haven't taken it out of the case and compared charging times. I don't care that much, I just let it sit on it overnight.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Charges just fine even with a thick case like the Otterbox Defender. Have about 10 different cases and all work fine with wireless charging.

DeerSteak

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Is the Samsung "quick charging" pad worth the money? It's $44 on Amazon right now, where lots of others are in the $20 range.

I will be charging with an Otterbox Defender, btw. I'm a little concerned about the size of the lip being so small, like the phone might fall off.

Marcojul

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Dunno if it's worth the money.
But it does the job and I like the design as well.
The lip is small yes, but is secure. The surface is rubber covered so it dosent slip.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Is the Samsung "quick charging" pad worth the money? It's $44 on Amazon right now, where lots of others are in the $20 range.

I will be charging with an Otterbox Defender, btw. I'm a little concerned about the size of the lip being so small, like the phone might fall off.

Yes, it's worth the money and the Defender sits on it just fine. ;)

DeerSteak

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I ended up saving a few bucks on the Pleson charger (which for folks who are coming late, does not come with its own charger - that's another $15 and where the $45 Samsung charger starts to look more attractive) and an Otterbox Commuter rather than a Defender. It fast-charges wirelessly using the Samsung wall charger.

Wireless charging is amazing. I love it.

Helfie19

Dec 15, 2018
Visit site
Depends on the case, but so far the ones I've tried (both from Spigen, one very thin, the other a little thicker with a kickstand) haven't had issues at all with any of my charging pads.

You might run into trouble if the case is too thick, though, but I haven't heard anyone complain yet when using Otterboxes, and those are some of the thickest ones I've seen.

Helfie19

Dec 15, 2018
Visit site
Is there a trick to getting it to work? My husband uses the otter box defender case and can’t get it to charge without taking off the case which is a real pain.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately if the case is too thick or has metal parts or your charger has a weaker coil, there's no way to get this to work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX