Anyone planning on rooting their S7 Edge?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Rooting will not be an option for the AT&T and Verizon carrier minority variants as, if not initially, they will render their models, as per previous versions, unrootable, among other things.

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
No.

Trying to get Call Recorder to work was the only reason I rooted my Note 3.

The app worked perfectly with the S7E. I was very surprised.

Unless something really big comes out that I like, I think I can cope with the phone as supplied. I don't even feel the need to use Nova Launcher.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Since I discovered Adguard, there is no reason for me to Root my phone now.Blocking ads in apps and everywhere on my phone was why I rooted but Adguard does this without root.

It's also nice that I won't void the warranty.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Since I discovered Adguard, there is no reason for me to Root my phone now.Blocking ads in apps and everywhere on my phone was why I rooted but Adguard does this without root.

Adguard has the drawback of a notification that you can't get rid of. That's my biggest complaint about it. It works very well, though.

DLKS

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
most definitely!! unl data plan use my hotspot as main source of wifi for all my devices

I also have unlimited data and I use an app called FoxFi that is under $10 and does not require root access. It has worked perfectly and Verizon does not see it.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence. We don't have Samsung pay in the UK yet but I'll know that I'll really want to use it regularly. But there's some root features I want to use, like ES file explorer root options and xposed force use of 4G. Gah!

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence. We don't have Samsung pay in the UK yet but I'll know that I'll really want to use it regularly. But there's some root features I want to use, like ES file explorer root options and xposed force use of 4G. Gah!

Posted via the Android Central App
It's been confirmed on XDA that the bootloader is locked down on the T-Mobile and Sprint phones. This doesn't mean there can't be a root, it just means they have to look for vulnerabilities the same way they do with Apple devices and get in that way.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I'd been trying the Adguard free trial the past couple of weeks, based on seeing your earlier mentions of it.

I'm not certain it is a battery saver, though it surely seems like it should be. What's your opinion on that?

My experience is that Adguard was routinely showing as using around 2% (never less) of my battery each cycle. Chrome Dev is almost always the top app in that breakdwon, and it remained so. Other apps didn't seem like they noticeably dropped in battery use (though a small drop over many apps could obviously make a difference and be unnoticed in a quick look at the battery stats). I didn't perceive any obvious overall battery life bump, either.

What has your experience been?

Also, if I do purchase a single use license, is it locked to one phone, or one phone at a time? That is, could I use it on my G4 right now and switch it to my S7E when I receive it?

Thanks for your help.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If the method is reasonably simple I will root. I'm not holding my breath for a method at all for my Verizon version.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd been trying the Adguard free trial the past couple of weeks, based on seeing your earlier mentions of it.

I'm not certain it is a battery saver, though it surely seems like it should be. What's your opinion on that?

My experience is that Adguard was routinely showing as using around 2% (never less) of my battery each cycle. Chrome Dev is almost always the top app in that breakdwon, and it remained so. Other apps didn't seem like they noticeably dropped in battery use (though a small drop over many apps could obviously make a difference and be unnoticed in a quick look at the battery stats). I didn't perceive any obvious overall battery life bump, either.

What has your experience been?

Also, if I do purchase a single use license, is it locked to one phone, or one phone at a time? That is, could I use it on my G4 right now and switch it to my S7E when I receive it?

Thanks for your help.
I think people are reading too much into the battery stats where they think the top 2-3 items listed there are killing the battery. I have two phones here using Adguard. One lists Adguard at 23% using 417 mAh, the other is at 40% with 1007 mAh and Android OS is up there at 31% at 734 mAh. Both of these phones last me more than a day on standby and give me between 3-5 hrs screen time. I don't think the amount of battery being used by Adgurd is anything to worry about considering it's always running. You can turn to on and off and use it only when you are using a browser or wanting to block ads in a certain app. Nothing says you have to keep it on 24/7. I just don't think it uses enough of my battery to worry about considering what it's doing for me.

You can also start using it on one phone and when you get a new phone, transfer it to that new phone. You have to login to the website at adguard.com and where it lists your phone model, click unbind and then you can install and run Adguard on the new phone. I have two licenses for two phones. I only paid for a year on each because it's hard to say what will happen next year.

Stop worrying about what the battery stats say too much and if the phone is giving you the hours of use that you need, isn't that good enough?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX