Galaxy S7 Edge - At&t removed galaxy labs

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I went and played with the AT&T version and it looks like they removed the labs setting for some reason. They also have removed list view for settings, it only has the tabbed settings which I hate. Anyone else notice this?

Posted via the Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: At&t removed galaxy labs

Lol useless carriers like Verizon and AT&T keep messing with phones when they have no business doing it. Samsung stand up for your software and stop carriers from modifying it.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Lol useless carriers like Verizon and AT&T keep messing with phones when they have no business doing it. Samsung stand up for your software and stop carriers from modifying it.

Control over the firmware is the price demanded by AT&T and Verizon, for doing business with them. Anyone purchasing a phone from them will NOT be getting stock Samsung firmware but rather, the carriers own ersatz, heavily modified and bloated, cloneware, which has been the cause of the majority of complaints from users. Shame really if this is the case, one Galaxy Labs options on the S7 looks interesting...

Galaxy S7 hints that Samsung is next to kill the app drawer

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I don't really like the idea of Galaxy Labs. I'm using an iPhone 6s Plus right now and I hate that there isn't an app drawer. All of my apps are littered on my homescreen and it makes everything cluttered.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I don't really like the idea of Galaxy Labs. I'm using an iPhone 6s Plus right now and I hate that there isn't an app drawer. All of my apps are littered on my homescreen and it makes everything cluttered.
Galaxy Labs is for trying out experimental features. Not only for removal of app drawer. As the phones are updated more experiential features will be tested there. It's essentially like optional beta testing.

You are not forced to use it. It buried deep in the settings menu, out of sight.

Everyone's reacting as if giving people options is a bad thing. I always think more choice is good. It's what Android is all about.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

Control over the firmware is the price demanded by AT&T and Verizon, for doing business with them. Anyone purchasing a phone from them will NOT be getting stock Samsung firmware but rather, the carriers own ersatz, heavily modified and bloated, cloneware, which has been the cause of the majority of complaints from users. Shame really if this is the case, one Galaxy Labs options on the S7 looks interesting...

Galaxy S7 hints that Samsung is next to kill the app drawer

That shouldn't be the case though.Carriers should not interfere with a phones firmware, they should just make sure it works properly on there network. Plus Samsung is big enough where they could say no and control these changes or even be like Apple. I am at the point where I have to spend more money just so I can get the unlocked version of a phone, so there isn't any carrier changes and I can get updates. I have to give it to T-mobile though, even there Samsung phones don't have there branding on the back, and have little bloat and almost no changes. It's as close as you can get to buying the unlocked version.

I am on At&t though so it's kinda stupid to try and buy the T-mobile version just to not have At&t's changes. The Iphone while boring and has no customization and is missing a lot of features from android, is starting to look pretty good to me. Just so I can buy a phone and get updates on time and no carrier bloat.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

In the UK, there isn't even a boot logo these days let alone a so-called 'tramp stamp' for locked phones on contract.

I feel sorry for you folks across the pond in that regard.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

In the UK, there isn't even a boot logo these days let alone a so-called 'tramp stamp' for locked phones on contract.

I feel sorry for you folks across the pond in that regard.

You are lucky, we have to pay so much more just to get your version.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I thought that carrier subsidies had been dropped in the U.S.A.?

So, what do your phones cost compared to the U.K.?

Price in the U.K. as quoted by Samsung for outright, sim free, purchase is...

Model Galaxy S7, SM-G930F, Global = £569.00, USD$802.78, €729.56 (excluding U.K. VAT/sales tax at 20% = £474, USD$661, €600)

Model Galaxy S7 Edge, SM-G935F, Global = £639.00, USD$901.54, €819.31 (excluding U.K. VAT/sales tax at 20% = £532, USD$742, €673)

Source.

Last edited:

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
For the Samsung Galaxy S6 128gb T-Mobile version I paid $850 usd, I think it was. I looked online at the time and the 32gb international version was over $1000 usd.

Note this was also when the s6 first came out. I wish you could buy direct from Samsung.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

That shouldn't be the case though.Carriers should not interfere with a phones firmware, they should just make sure it works properly on there network. Plus Samsung is big enough where they could say no and control these changes or even be like Apple. I am at the point where I have to spend more money just so I can get the unlocked version of a phone, so there isn't any carrier changes and I can get updates. I have to give it to T-mobile though, even there Samsung phones don't have there branding on the back, and have little bloat and almost no changes. It's as close as you can get to buying the unlocked version.

I am on At&t though so it's kinda stupid to try and buy the T-mobile version just to not have At&t's changes. The Iphone while boring and has no customization and is missing a lot of features from android, is starting to look pretty good to me. Just so I can buy a phone and get updates on time and no carrier bloat.

It is the U.S. carriers and not you, who are Samsung's customers, buying, as they do, millions of phones from Samsung. Therefore, if those carriers demand their own models and control over their own firmware, so be it. It is not just Samsung that are subject to these demands, other phone manufacturers have to provide separate models and firmware for them. If you do not like the phones and firmwares that your carriers are providing for you, then boycott them.

U.S. carriers would argue that all the revenue generating bloatware and lack of firmware updates helps to keep the cost of the phones down to you, the customer, not to mention increasing their profit margin. They then, in some cases, lock down the bootloaders and even make them unrootable, so that you cannot obtain a cheap handset and then get rid of those revenue apps and modifications and in some cases, you will be punished and no longer receive firmware updates from them if you dare to switch to another carrier.

Kim Jong-un, Supreme Leader of North Korea, lies awake at night, wondering how he too can exercise the same totalitarian control over his people that some U.S. carriers have over their customers!

As you can see... you get what you pay for.

I wish you could buy direct from Samsung.

You can in most countries of the world, as shown on this Samsung page, here. I wonder why Samsung are not allowed to do the same thing in the U.S.A.!!!

Not only that but Samsung even offer an Upgrade Programme with finance, as shown at the bottom of that page.

Think all Galaxy S7 phones are the same...
Think again!

Last edited:

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I went and played with the AT&T version and it looks like they removed the labs setting for some reason. They also have removed list view for settings, it only has the tabbed settings which I hate. Anyone else notice this?

Sorry, my question I guess is dumb, but what is galaxy labs?

Posted from Android Central

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech