Is a Samsung Account Useful? What What does it do that differs from a Google account?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Coming from an Siii on Verizon and have ordered the S7e. Reading the manual, it appears some of the features of the 7 are tied to a Samsung account. I use my Google account only on the Siii and have not missed out on anything, but it appears more important on the newer phone. I would just as soon not deal with another account. Can anyone lead insight into whether a Samsung account is going to be required for the S7?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung Account Useful?

It isn't required. It is useful in things like sync with s health or calendar though, and find my mobile can be useful when you need it.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the quick reply and information. Reading the manual, the only thing I see useful to me would be Samsung Pay, which I think requires a Samsung account. My main concern, other than having yet another account, is potential conflict between that account and Google, where all my data is. Did a search in the S6 forum (figured) and see a bunch of unlock issues, but nothing really tied to differences/conflicts between the two accounts.

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the quick reply and information. Reading the manual, the only thing I see useful to me would be Samsung Pay, which I think requires a Samsung account. My main concern, other than having yet another account, is potential conflict between that account and Google, where all my data is. Did a search in the S6 forum (figured) and see a bunch of unlock issues, but nothing really tied to differences/conflicts between the two accounts.
You won't notice any conflicts. The Samsung account is necessary for Samsung Pay and it also keeps track of some basic info in case you move to a different phone in the future.