Adoptable storage

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
how do you guys feel about Samsung disabling that feature?

I personally think it's a mistake I would prefer to have that as an option I hate having to install apps and manually move the files to my microsd. Every time I update my apps I would have to go through it and manually move it again with adoptable storage that issue will be corrected. I really think the only reason why Samsung disable it has to do with performance they just don't want to admit it. I personally don't bother taking my sd out to drag and drop my files over how many of you actually do that? Also with all the bloatware that they install by default the adoptable storage makes sense.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I really think the only reason why Samsung disable it has to do with performance they just don't want to admit it

From Samsung:

"Samsung decided not to use the Android Marshmallow 'adoptable storage' model. We believe that our users want a microSD card to transfer files between their phone and other devices (laptop, tablet, etc.), especially the photos and videos they shoot with the camera.

With adoptable storage, first of all the card may be erased the first time it is inserted into the device. This behavior may be unexpected by many users and we don't want our users to lose their files. Second, once Marshmallow starts using a card for adoptable storage, it cannot be read by other devices, so it loses this ability to be used for file transfer. Adoptable Storage is also primarily targeted towards emerging markets where devices with only 4 (GB) to 8 GB of onboard storage are common. We think that our model of using microSD for mass storage is more in-line with our owner's (sic) desires and expectations for how microSD should behave."

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
once it's all set-up you can technically transfer all your files it doesn't prevent you from doing it? you still can connect your phone with the usb cable which most of us does. Only difference is that you can't pull the card out and transfer it that's all?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
once it's all set-up you can technically transfer all your files it doesn't prevent you from doing it? you still can connect your phone with the usb cable which most of us does. Only difference is that you can't pull the card out and transfer it that's all?

The phone comes with 32GB of internal storage, is that not plenty of space for all of your apps? Everything else can just be put on your SD card.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I actually think Samsung made a good decision here. You can still transfer some apps onto the SD Card if you want, but most of us use SD Cards for music, videos, podcasts, etc. and with Adoptable Storage you are far more limited. You can't ever take out your SD Card, your phone will slow down tremendously because SD Cards are far slower than the phone's internal high speed storage and you are prone to many more errors/crashes due to SD Cards not being designed for repeated reads and writes.

Inside Marshmallow: Adoptable storage | Android Central

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
isn't the whole point about adding a microsd is to add more storage? what's the point to just store pictures, videos, files? it's a cheaper solution for users to buy a 32gb and upgrade with a bigger storage. Why have a limited storage function when you can enable to combine them both as one?

Last edited:

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
That's my whole argument it's all about speed access. If people want to transfer files they don't need to pull their sd card out to do that. They can simply connect to their usb. Like I said my only issue i would have without the adoptable storage would be manually transferring files over every time you update as well.

Rafterman00

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's argument might make sense if you could just yank out the microSD card without having to reboot the phone. But since the SD card and the SIM share the same slot, forcing you to shut down the phone every time you want to remove the SD card. . .

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Samsung's argument might make sense if you could just yank out the microSD card without having to reboot the phone. But since the SD card and the SIM share the same slot, forcing you to shut down the phone every time you want to remove the SD card. . .

According to an article I read before the S7/edge were announced, Samsung was working or managed to find a way to allow the SD card to be removed without rebooting. If that is true or false, I can not say as I don't have a S7/edge to test it, but maybe people with the phone already can confirm this.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't really impact me. I don't save files locally anymore. Everything is in the cloud. I'm also not a heavy gamer so not a need for tons of spaces for games in one single partition. I'll set my videos and pictures up to save to the SD. Periodically, I'll delete them once they've been uploading to google photos. The only thing I will actually need storage is my music. However, I usually only download a couple playlists locally so that's about 3-4GB. I should be good.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
isn't the whole point about adding a microsd is to add more storage? what's the point to just store pictures, videos, files? it's a cheaper solution for users to buy a 32gb and upgrade with a bigger storage. Why have a limited storage function when you can enable to combine them both as one?

Well it is a good thing the guys over at XDA are hard at work figuring out how to get it enabled. You can enable it and put your mind at ease that you can use adoptable storage on your S7.

SD card and storage controversy - Pg. 5 | Samsung Galaxy S7

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't really impact me. I don't save files locally anymore. Everything is in the cloud. I'm also not a heavy gamer so not a need for tons of spaces for games in one single partition. I'll set my videos and pictures up to save to the SD. Periodically, I'll delete them once they've been uploading to google photos. The only thing I will actually need storage is my music. However, I usually only download a couple playlists locally so that's about 3-4GB. I should be good.

Same here, I have not used an SD card in a very long time. Everything I have is in the cloud, photos auto back up to the cloud. 32GB is plenty for me, heck 16GB is fine with me as well. We live in new age of what I like to refer to as "Digital Hoarders" now.

Jessey Clarke

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
After playing with marshmallow, i really liked the sd card to use as internal storage.. i download a lot of apps, like to play games quiet big games so this option would of been great for me and others alike. Also reading that 8gb is taken up straight away by OS and bloatware, it would of been a good option to let users choose. If performance issues were to occurred, then people should get better memory cards to fix that. You can get really good 32GB\64GB cards now which dont cost a lot

Rafterman00

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't get something. If adoptable storage is supposed to combine the main and SD stage as one big pool, the why are there still options to move things between internal and SD storage? How is that different from keeping the two separate? It seems like a pointless feature.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't get something. If adoptable storage is supposed to combine the main and SD stage as one big pool, the why are there still options to move things between internal and SD storage? How is that different from keeping the two separate? It seems like a pointless feature.
Because not all phones have adoptable storage. If you had adoptable storage though, there would be no need for that. The problem is that a lot of apps can't be moved to SD card. Adoptable storage solved that problem

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
That's why i think Samsung and LG is missing the point of adoptable storage. Because of the Lollipop Google forces a lot of the app develop to prevent files to be moved or choose to install on the sd. Google believed that Sd card slows the performance of the OS. However, Marshmallow with adoptable storage + a fast read and write micro sd would solve the storage and apps issue that I'm sure most of us are complaining about. I always liked the idea of having a slot for microsd but being limited to only storing files makes it useless in my view. Until they make 64gb or 128gb phones cheaper 32gb will always be the most popular and affordable choice. So the addition to micro sd will at least allow the user to keep their phone even longer and if they didn't have micro sd people will need to upgrade their phone to 64gb or higher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781