iOS lifetime user coming over to Android w/S7 Edge...advice needed :)

paulphilly

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone, after being an iOS user since inception, I have finally pulled the trigger on an S7 Edge and am coming over to Android. Honestly, I am an average "techy" which is why the simple UI of iOS has appealed to me. However, as I slowly become more technologically savvy, I have the urge to finally take the leap and get a phone that is wayyyyy more customizable. Therefore, admittedly I know very little about the Android UI and am wondering if there is a "learning center" for those of us whom are newbies and still in diapers lol? My iPhone 6 plus has been boring, uninspiring, and honestly glitchy. I have had forced closures, dropped calls, locked screens....it appears that Apple quality is slowly going down hill, so I am hopping off of the Pinto and getting into the Ferrari. I am super excited about the S7 Edge (Silver) and apparently I will be getting the free S2 watch to go along with it (as long as supplies last). I preordered on 2/29 so I have know idea when Verizon will finally release these gems...any ideas? Thanks all for any help, and I am super stoked about being a new member to this site and to your family.

Cheers,

Paul

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
You will enjoy the Adroid OS. I have a MacBook Pro and I use MySMS app to type my SMS messages to other Android phones when I don't use my phone. You will adjust very quickly. Welcome aboard.

tkco

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You might be refreshed by simple tasks that iOS denies, such as....

Reply to an email and be able to attach a file.

skhalid93

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Actually, my iMessage is still registered to my number, so I am able to use it on my mac. If you have a mac, in my preference if you shouldn't unregister it, as its still useful if you're too lazy to pick up your phone everytime :) The only thing your iMessage won't do anymore is process calls through your laptop.

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah let's not give advice to unregister iMessage. SMS works just fine. I take my sim from iPhone to Sammy all the time and everything works just fine.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone, after being an iOS user since inception, I have finally pulled the trigger on an S7 Edge and am coming over to Android. Honestly, I am an average "techy" which is why the simple UI of iOS has appealed to me. However, as I slowly become more technologically savvy, I have the urge to finally take the leap and get a phone that is wayyyyy more customizable. Therefore, admittedly I know very little about the Android UI and am wondering if there is a "learning center" for those of us whom are newbies and still in diapers lol? My iPhone 6 plus has been boring, uninspiring, and honestly glitchy. I have had forced closures, dropped calls, locked screens....it appears that Apple quality is slowly going down hill, so I am hopping off of the Pinto and getting into the Ferrari. I am super excited about the S7 Edge (Silver) and apparently I will be getting the free S2 watch to go along with it (as long as supplies last). I preordered on 2/29 so I have know idea when Verizon will finally release these gems...any ideas? Thanks all for any help, and I am super stoked about being a new member to this site and to your family.

Cheers,

Paul

You're in the best learning center you can find; an excellent Android community. People jump to help each other out. It's quite nice.

nickster0824

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as well! So from what I'm seeing, a couple of you guys are saying you don't necessarily have to de-register the iMessage.
I wanted to originally use my Samsung S7 Edge with my SIM and use the iPhone just to message people with iMessage. Would that create an issue or what is the best method of going about this?
Thanks!

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as well! So from what I'm seeing, a couple of you guys are saying you don't necessarily have to de-register the iMessage.
I wanted to originally use my Samsung S7 Edge with my SIM and use the iPhone just to message people with iMessage. Would that create an issue or what is the best method of going about this?
Thanks!

If you're using the iPhone on wifi only, I wouldn't see a problem? But then again, I've never used an iPhone as an iPod heh.

anon(9842641)

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Yup same thought me too jumped from iPhone to samsung s7 edge . All i know for now is smart switch .yet to recive my phone tomorow lot of migrating to do .

Hope some one would answer that

dizzll

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I can say as a user of both iOS and Android that the iMessage debacle is annoying as hell. Unregistering imessage doesn't fix it. I can send and receive sms fine on my Android phone except from Apple users. If I had a previous imessage conversation contact they can receive my sms, but I can't receive their replies unless they go back and delete all conversations from their phone. I have endured this as I've swapped a dozen times over the past 5 years. Not to mention you wont receive any group messages anymore from imessage texts.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had a simple SIM swap work just fine, but other times I've had to jump through hoops to deregister iMessage.

Since it's a simple check box I don't see the issue with recommending to turn it off before swapping SIMs. The only headache this will cause is you needing to log back in to iMessage on your other Apple devices. To me, the trade off is worth it.

Nkky7

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Same here! I can't wait for the phone to arrive tomorrow. Question, Can I transfer the apps I already have in my iPhone? Which browser do you guys recommend?

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I can say as a user of both iOS and Android that the iMessage debacle is annoying as hell. Unregistering imessage doesn't fix it. I can send and receive sms fine on my Android phone except from Apple users. If I had a previous imessage conversation contact they can receive my sms, but I can't receive their replies unless they go back and delete all conversations from their phone. I have endured this as I've swapped a dozen times over the past 5 years. Not to mention you wont receive any group messages anymore from imessage texts.

I've switched back and forth several times as well and it always ends up being iMessage frustration that causes me to go back to iOS. I did some testing with my wife's iPhone and what I found is that with group iMessages, the iPhone never verifies that all of the users still have iMessage enabled after the initial creation of the group message. This means that none of those group messages will work right even if you properly disable iMessage the way that Apple tells you to. The only way to fix the issue is to ask any of your friends/family that have you in existing group iMessage threads delete the threads and re-create them. This will cause their iPhones to check if iMessage is enabled for all of the devices and it should detect that for your number iMessage is no longer enabled and it will create the thread as a group MMS. It is a pain and I've submitted feedback to Apple requesting that they improve this but I don't expect much to happen anytime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech