Discouraging (S7 (S820) vs 6s speed test)

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Discouraging

It all has to do with software optimization. Specs don't mean much if the software behind the phone isn't optimized right. iOS is so locked down and controlled that Apple can get it to do crazy things. Android is open source so it's a little less so.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

It all has to do with software optimization. Specs don't mean much if the software behind the phone isn't optimized right. iOS is so locked down and controlled that Apple can get it to do crazy things. Android is open source so it's a little less so.

This. Apple will always have an advantage in some ways because they design the hardware and software. This allows them to make the software fully optimized for the hardware. Honestly, I would never compare the performance of an iOS device against and Android device just based on specs. There are some things the Android device will kill iOS but some things it won't. For instance, although all iPhones don't have great battery life but if you put the same size battery that apple uses in an Android phone that iOS device battery life wouldn't seem so bad. And again it's because they can perfectly optimize the software for their hardware. A better comparison would be Android devices vs each other for certain performance metrics. It's just not the same playing field. Having said that, I'm a fan of both Android and iOS and appreciate the differences and strengths of both.

Johnny Roberts

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't see what is so discouraging about that video. These are both blazingly fast smartphones and respond well in real world situations.

We've become so spoiled imo. Enjoy your phone of choice.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

brava27

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

I don't see what is so discouraging about that video. This are both blazingly fast smartphones and respond well in real world situations.

Thanks Johnny

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The only time the 6s substantially beat the s7 was when originally loading games. And considering that the resolution of the s7 is nearly 3x as high as that of the 6s, I don't really see a problem as you are pushing so much more pixels. It could also be that the games are not optimized for the s7, as there are so many hardware options on Android. This could be an app developer issue. They focus more on ios.

Once loaded the games stayed in memory,which is a major improvement over the s6.

If you want to see bad memory management, take a look at my turbo 2, which kicks apps out of memory badly. Price wise the turbo 2 starts at $624,and came out after the iPhone 6s.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo-2/604030-turbo-2-kicking-apps-out-memory.html

mountainman15

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Software optimization is part of it, but the A9 processor is an absolute beast and the NVMe storage is faster than anything else out there (in a phone). The A9 was so far ahead last year that it was unlikely Samsung or Qualcomm would catch up this year. They got close, but the A9 still beats them out in most areas.

capncoad

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site

The only time the 6s substantially beat the s7 was when originally loading games. And considering that the resolution of the s7 is nearly 3x as high as that of the 6s, I don't really see a problem as you are pushing so much more pixels. It could also be that the games are not optimized for the s7, as there are so many hardware options on Android. This could be an app developer issue. They focus more on ios.

Once loaded the games stayed in memory,which is a major improvement over the s6.

If you want to see bad memory management, take a look at my turbo 2, which kicks apps out of memory badly. Price wise the turbo 2 starts at $624,and came out after the iPhone 6s.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo-2/604030-turbo-2-kicking-apps-out-memory.html

I don't think any games actually run at 1440p, they likely run at 1080p which would be 2x the resolution of the iPhone 6s. And the fact it's the initial loading into memory that's slower tells you that the issue isn't GPU related. Likely it's a mixture storage performance and software optimization that is the difference.

And as people have mentioned, these phones are so insanely speedy at this point whoever has the millisecond advantage, it doesn't really matter.

mu5ic92

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

these are completely different operating systems there is no comparison. The apps themselves are devoloped using different programming languages.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Just saw this video. How can phone like S7 edge with great specs perform equal to our lower than iPhone... Hmmmm

https://youtu.be/JAcczAYDmWc

Seriously dude, i don't think anyone here really give a **** if iPhone boot faster just a tad second faster. This device pack with all sort of technology that people want to play with. If you really concerns if small little thing will make or break from buying this device that's your choice. I power it on, put it in my pocket and go on with my daily life, i load my game (hardly play) its faster enough to satisfy my need. It makes phone call, read my text, and do alot of stuff. This phone got so many innovation packs in it than most people will ever use. Seriously move on.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

How about a side by side showing how quickly they update a homescreen weather widget?

SR45

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site

Hate these reviews that show an S7 Edge 5.5 screen and a 4.7 screen comparison. Why don't these reviewers use some common sense and use both units with 5.5 inch screens to be a bit more fair. [ Samsung s7 edge & iPhone 6s Plus]

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

So I have a galaxy S6 and and iPhone 6s Plus. They are both great devices. I can tell you in day to day usage, my S6 is faster to load apps nearly every time. I don't have awesome reception at my job and my iPhone takes ages to open apps there. My S6 has no trouble even in extended network. The point is, you have to take videos like this with a grain of salt. If you like either of those phones, then just get one and don't worry about it. This video is splitting hairs.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

I don't see what is so discouraging about that video. These are both blazingly fast smartphones and respond well in real world situations.

What he said!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

How about a side by side showing how quickly they update a homescreen weather widget?
Hehe. The s7 (and Android in general) is way more feature packed and tweak able out of the box than Apple. All that stuff does come with the extra cost that it boots slower because it has to load so much stuff.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site

Apple has always optimized the living hell out of their software. You're comparing apples to oranges here. Kind of like comparing a SUV to a station wagon. Seems similar on paper but it's up to the user to determine what they really need. Sure they're both cars, but are optimized for different applications.

I have both phones and they have their own strengths. Watching videos on the Sammy though... inky blacks and popping colors galore.

Last edited:

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site

Nah I think S7 edge held up pretty well. A few hundreds of mini seconds slower isn't going to affect user experience, I am more picky on the lagging or stuttering effects. If S7 edge is smooth, it's good enough.

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site

You guys are right. When I consider things I can do on android ios doesn't stand a chance. But, I still think part is the problem here might be Qualcomm (just thinking). Unless the problem still persists why a cooling tank? . If A9 chip is powerful why doesn't it have cooling tank. Looks like there is still a lot of catch up to do wrt chip design. Just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12