Samsung Galaxy s7 edge brightness keeps going up.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if anyone else gets this. Basically I set it to a little below halfway and auto brightness. When I go outside it gets brighter as you would expect. Sometimes though the brightness slider goes higher than what I set it. Anyone else get this?

Posted via S7 edge 😍

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Do you have auto brightness turned on?
Yes but I have an S6 edge as a work phone and when I set that up auto brightness it doesn't display the same behaviour.

The problem isn't that the display gets brighter/dimmer automatically but that the system doesn't respect the position I choose on the slider.

So when I go out in the evening and try and set my brightness lower, the brightness will insist on jumping up higher than needed.

ZeneticX

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I think its the new auto brightness mechanism

Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

The Galaxy S7 has a new interactive Personalized Automatic Brightness Control that learns and stores the display brightness settings that you make for varying ambient light levels, so from then on you get your own customized personal visual brightness preferences instead of some pre-programmed manufacturer settings found in other smartphones, tablets, and TVs. It is the first smartphone, tablet, or TV to do Automatic Brightness correctly. When Automatic Brightness is turned On (under Display Settings), if you adjust the Brightness Slider, the Galaxy S7 will remember your setting along with the current ambient light level that is measured by its Ambient Light Sensor (ALS), which is located next to the front facing camera just above the top of the display. From then on the Galaxy S7 will automatically adjust the screen Brightness by measuring the current ambient light level and then adjusting the screen Brightness based on the settings you’ve previously made, so you’ll get a customized screen Brightness setting that you’ve previously trained it to produce for the current level of ambient light – and you can continue to tweak and adjust it as needed.

rickgurri

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I find this extremely annoying. Why can it not just maintain full brightness without adjusting it for us? no other phone or tablet does this.

Greg Burton

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue. I got an S7 yesterday as an upgrade, already have an S6, so familiar. When switching on in the morning, screen is very bright - I look at brightness level and it's set at 3/4. I set it to a 1/4. I don't want the slider to move, it shouldn't move, but rather with Auto box ticked, the brightness levels should automatically adjust, without the slider moving at all - it doesn't need to. Is there a Samsung document which says the slider should move on its own? Probably not. I'll take phone back to Vodafone within the 14 days period. Also, when switching on phone, it has a green screen and says 'optimising apps 9 of 9 and takes a couple of minutes to actually boot up! S6 does not do this.

Greg Burton

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
Update - I've just crudely experimented with my S7 and if you go to the brightness display slider, then put your fingers over the light sensor on front top of phone, you can see the slider move lower, then goes up again when sensor is uncovered.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I find this extremely annoying. Why can it not just maintain full brightness without adjusting it for us? no other phone or tablet does this.
Uh, all phones with auto brightness has this. I haven't seen an flagship without auto brightness. My Tab Plus from way back 2011 had this.

And you can turn off auto brightness in display settings. Heck pull down the notification bar and uncheck auto.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You guys are misunderstanding how auto brightness works. The slider is not setting the max brightness it can reach. It is setting the brightness level for the particular level of ambient brightness you are in. If you go to a brighter place, then the slider would go up to the preset level for that intensity of ambient brightness.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You guys are misunderstanding how auto brightness works. The slider is not setting the max brightness it can reach. It is setting the brightness level for the particular level of ambient brightness you are in. If you go to a brighter place, then the slider would go up to the preset level for that intensity of ambient brightness.
Yeah exactly I don't why it's that hard to understand.. It's pretty straight forward and working as expected. Also works like every other phone I have used recently.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
With the autobrightness on it is supposed to remember the settings if you change them in different locations, like inside your house and outside. My S7 forgets these settings whenever I restart my phone. Do you have this issue also?

Mjjb Mj7

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
You can change the display mode from adaptive display to basic. I tried this way when auto brightness and it will no auto adjust the brightness due to the location is changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463