Re-using memory card from S5 in S7 - need to re-format?

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Greetings. I guess I should know this by now but have never done this. I have a memory card in my S5 that is mostly storing music and pictures I will want to move to my S7. However there are a few apps that I have moved to this memory card.

I assume at a minimum there are certain system folders I should delete before plugging into the S7 due to these apps so the S7 does not get "confused" with my S5 apps. What folders do you suggest deleting?

But other than that can I just plug it in and go? I know it needs to create certain folders but assume it will not blow away anything I have stored there?

If it is safer I can of course just back it up, re-format the card, and copy what I want on. I guess just looking for the easy way! :)
Thanks,
BJB1

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Greetings. I guess I should know this by now but have never done this. I have a memory card in my S5 that is mostly storing music and pictures I will want to move to my S7. However there are a few apps that I have moved to this memory card.

I assume at a minimum there are certain system folders I should delete before plugging into the S7 due to these apps so the S7 does not get "confused" with my S5 apps. What folders do you suggest deleting?

But other than that can I just plug it in and go? I know it needs to create certain folders but assume it will not blow away anything I have stored there?

If it is safer I can of course just back it up, re-format the card, and copy what I want on. I guess just looking for the easy way! :)
Thanks,
BJB1

I always reformat a card I've used in another device. The old app files most likely won't cause issues, but it's better safe than sorry.

rflores5432

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I had a major issue after doing this. Didnt realize at the time but from the start my edge was constantly very warm, almost hot, any time I was using it. The phone seemed very sluggish to and Also my battery life was horrible!! Would drop 10% within 15 minutes. I discovered when checking out battery usage that "media" usage was non stop, super high battery consumption. Anyway, apparently there was something on my card from my S5 that was causing an issue. So, I transferred only music and photos off SD card, reformatted in phone then transferred the music and photos back and everything is amazing now. So, this might be a rare situation but it definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to start fresh.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Just popped mine straight in from the S5 and so far have not experienced any issues. I would have reformatted it in hindsight just to be on the safe side, but so far I have not had any isssues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463