User Adjustable Auto-Brightness -- Why Is There No Discussion About This???

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
It is an amazing and very useful feature. Previously, on all former Galaxy S phones, if you checked the auto-brightness box the phone just took over and if you touched the slider it would uncheck the auto-brightness box and you'd be on full manual mode. Now you can adjust the midpoint you want while letting the phone continue to auto-adjust around the brightness point you've selected.

I think this is a wonderful feature of the S7/S7E and I wonder why not a word has been said about it.

cdjohnson25

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I came from an S4, my only S phone. That always annoyed me if I wanted to temporarily modify the brightness, it disabled auto-brightness.

I definitely will utliize this feature, now that you pointed it out. Thanks!

alex346

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
That's strange ... I didn't think that was a new feature .. my note 5, note 4 and s5 all had the adjustable auto brightness slider ... maybe we it was only on some models or carriers ?

Posted via the Android Central App

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
That's strange ... I didn't think that was a new feature .. my note 5, note 4 and s5 all had the adjustable auto brightness slider ... maybe we it was only on some models or carriers ?

I guess the Note series got this a lot sooner than the S series. I can't begin to tell you how helpful I find this. I have generally found standard auto-brightness controls to be a tiny bit too low for my liking. I love the ability to goose it up 5%-10% to get it right where I like it while letting the phone do all the rest.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Which variant do you have? This adjustments to auto brightness has been on international variants for some time but certain Carrier variants always removed it in the past. Note that the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5 on marshmallow also has something similar, but it wasn't on lollipop.

Now if you are referring to where it remembers the brightness setting and will make adjustments to automatic brightness automatically, then that is new.

Also there has been discussion about this, I personally remember posting in a thread about it

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
It is an amazing and very useful feature. Previously, on all former Galaxy S phones, if you checked the auto-brightness box the phone just took over and if you touched the slider it would uncheck the auto-brightness box and you'd be on full manual mode. Now you can adjust the midpoint you want while letting the phone continue to auto-adjust around the brightness point you've selected.

I JUST freakin' noticed this last night, I was showing a friend how much brighter the screen was compared to my N5...I was like waiitttttt a minuteeeeeeeee.......AMAZE-BALLS, right?????

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Weird, I had the adjustable, but as soon as you altered it the "auto" would uncheck. I have Note 5/AT&T. Probably a carrier thing, you're right.

I am just happy that now I can set the MAX brightness that I need...it kind of reminded me of how I would set the iPhone auto brightness, except you'd have to walk into a dark room and wait until the screen adjusted and THEN set auto.

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
So I think I might be the only one that doesn't like this feature? I didn't know about it and I wanted the screen darker so I hit it assuming it would stay like that and turn auto off but noticed it kept changing. Oh well.

ProMed

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
So I think I might be the only one that doesn't like this feature? I didn't know about it and I wanted the screen darker so I hit it assuming it would stay like that and turn auto off but noticed it kept changing. Oh well.

You can still deselect Auto and set the brightness manually.

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I just moved to a note 4.. cool feature.. you need auto on all the time.. I hated to have to switch back and forth between times when I need it brighter and auto when I needed it to control contrast.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
How can you tell someone's a Verizon customer? They're amazed by features that have been around for some time.

God I hate Verizon. I'm with psychdoc on this one. "Wow Verizon left this feature in there?!? NOWAI"

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Previously, on all former Galaxy S phones, if you checked the auto-brightness box the phone just took over and if you touched the slider it would uncheck the auto-brightness box and you'd be on full manual mode.

It only worked that way on some US carrier variants. I owned an international unlocked Galaxy S6 last year and it had user adjustable auto brightness. It's actually one of the main reasons I didn't buy the AT&T model last year. I don't know why AT&T and possibly other US carriers always had this feature removed from their phones, but I'm glad they are finally keeping their grubby paws off of this feature.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess I never said much since I've grown used to this due to other phones I've had did this already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34