SD Card Notification keeps popping up - Help !

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Knowledge10111,

I only connect the device via usb (MTP) anyways. If that doesn't cause problems, I can live with it staying in the phone.

Encrypting now, I'll report back...

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Quick update:
I swapped SD cards with my wife, whose phone is the one having trouble. It's been a few hours and so far no notifications on either phone. I swapped them to eliminate the possibility that it might be an SD card issue.

Will keep you posted.

Posted via the Android Central App

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Quick update:
I swapped SD cards with my wife, whose phone is the one having trouble. It's been a few hours and so far no notifications on either phone. I swapped them to eliminate the possibility that it might be an SD card issue.

Will keep you posted.

Edit: n/m

Keep us updated..

SurfnSun

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
A few hours ago, I dropped in the 128 GB one I bought from the amazon sale. One notification that it had been installed, nothing since.

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok well I go back to my phone after I left it Encrypting.

The encryption was done, and there was ANOTHER SD notification. Well 2 actually, one to tell me encryption was complete, and another BAD notification. Hopefully that one hit before the encryption was done, and it won't pop-up again. I'm hoping that works.

I'm going bonkers....I'd rather not exchange the phone but it's leaning toward that....

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Ok well I go back to my phone after I left it Encrypting.

The encryption was done, and there was ANOTHER SD notification. Well 2 actually, one to tell me encryption was complete, and another BAD notification. Hopefully that one hit before the encryption was done, and it won't pop-up again. I'm hoping that works.

I'm going bonkers....I'd rather not exchange the phone but it's leaning toward that....

The very first time you finish encryption you will get the message because your phone is now re-recognizing the card (it dismounts it to encrypt). So this bad message was likely related to that

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
OK, lets try to get to the bottom of this, I'm a man of science and I find it puzzling that we can't all find out what's going on here and I find it telling and frustrating that Samsung is MIA on this.

Here are some facts:
  • More than a few of us here on the forums (and other forums) have this issue, with a variety of carriers, on both the S7 and S7 edge, and it's safe to assume we all use different apps and software etc. How many in the grand scheme of things? No way to know for sure, but it's a problem for more than a few.
  • Some have solved the issue via settings
  • Some have solved the issue with changing cards
  • Some have solved the issue with a phone exchange
  • Some have solved the issue via factory reset
Is each one solved? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

What's the commonality? (not the carrier or apps or cards)
  • The phone hardware (i.e. SD card tray)
  • The OS (Marshmallow)

Now we need some hypotheses and a way to test them. The hypotheses are easy to come up with, the experimental evidence not so much, but here's some theories (I'd love to hear some more):
  • Bad batch of phone with faulty contacts: maybe different card manufacturers have contacts on the cards that are microns thicker or thinner which, when combined with the contacts in the phone, will lead to these varied results. This is supported by the fact that people reusing the cards from earlier model phones are now having issues. Also perhaps supported in that those who fixed it by changing cards actually re-seated the card in such a way to make better contact.
  • Marshmallow issue: All the solutions that have been found are placebos or temporary and a software fix is in the works to solve this and end it once and for all

As for myself, the latest thing I tried was to turn off the System UI battery optimization and I haven't had the notification in over 5 hours. I'm not hopeful as I've been fooled into thinking I've fixed it before (factory reset). Or I merely suppressed the notification itself, while the issue causing it is still occurring.

Anyway, looking forward to more evidence and anecdotes and I hate to say it, but there's some solace in knowing 'm not alone with this issue.

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
No dice for me with the encryption. Now it pops 2 notifications, one for the encryption, one the usual random. :(

Sorry to hear that =/ I have no idea why I haven't had any issues in the last few days. I haven't really done anything else...so the encryption doesn't help must be something else

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
No notification on either phone; both phones are notification free and we're about 6 hours in. I CAN'T believe Samsung's radio silence on this!!

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
OK, lets try to get to the bottom of this, I'm a man of science and I find it puzzling that we can't all find out what's going on here and I find it telling and frustrating that Samsung is MIA on this.

Here are some facts:
  • More than a few of us here on the forums (and other forums) have this issue, with a variety of carriers, on both the S7 and S7 edge, and it's safe to assume we all use different apps and software etc. How many in the grand scheme of things? No way to know for sure, but it's a problem for more than a few.
  • Some have solved the issue via settings
  • Some have solved the issue with changing cards
  • Some have solved the issue with a phone exchange
  • Some have solved the issue via factory reset
Is each one solved? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

What's the commonality? (not the carrier or apps or cards)
  • The phone hardware (i.e. SD card tray)
  • The OS (Marshmallow)

Now we need some hypotheses and a way to test them. The hypotheses are easy to come up with, the experimental evidence not so much, but here's some theories (I'd love to hear some more):
  • Bad batch of phone with faulty contacts: maybe different card manufacturers have contacts on the cards that are microns thicker or thinner which, when combined with the contacts in the phone, will lead to these varied results. This is supported by the fact that people reusing the cards from earlier model phones are now having issues. Also perhaps supported in that those who fixed it by changing cards actually re-seated the card in such a way to make better contact.
  • Marshmallow issue: All the solutions that have been found are placebos or temporary and a software fix is in the works to solve this and end it once and for all

As for myself, the latest thing I tried was to turn off the System UI battery optimization and I haven't had the notification in over 5 hours. I'm not hopeful as I've been fooled into thinking I've fixed it before (factory reset). Or I merely suppressed the notification itself, while the issue causing it is still occurring.

Anyway, looking forward to more evidence and anecdotes and I hate to say it, but there's some solace in knowing 'm not alone with this issue.

To be quite frank, I really think this may be a hardware issue with the flimsy trays. Its likely the card does not sit properly and will lose contact every now and then. If so, there probably isn't a solution to this because I don't think they could fix it as the phone itself maybe the problem in the design with the trays. The only hope is for Samsung to allow us to disable notifications when a new card is inserted, that would at least prevent the annoying popup if the hardware problem can't be fixed.

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
OK card #4 is inserted and formatted. SAMSUNG EVO+ 64gb. People have reported trouble with this particular card. We shall see how it does in my phone.

I'm going to wait a while before xferring my data, whereas previously I've done it right away. This is my last try before exchanging the handset :(

Sherif82

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
A few hours ago, I dropped in the 128 GB one I bought from the amazon sale. One notification that it had been installed, nothing since.

Can you give us the brand and specs of the card you purchased and keep us posted?! Please and thank you 😊

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
To be quite frank, I really think this may be a hardware issue with the flimsy trays. Its likely the card does not sit properly and will lose contact every now and then. If so, there probably isn't a solution to this because I don't think they could fix it as the phone itself maybe the problem in the design with the trays. The only hope is for Samsung to allow us to disable notifications when a new card is inserted, that would at least prevent the annoying popup if the hardware problem can't be fixed.

I believe this is the correct answer.^^
Samsung should ship everyone new metal trays and stop trying to pinch pennies with this cheap @ss plastic. :p

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

i dont think so, because otherwise the messages would pop up with the phone getting bumped or dropped.

i did a master reset and formatted a samsung 128gb card, and i still get sd notifications, along with other random lockups. today touchwiz created an error message.

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
After multiple notifications with the EVO+ 64gb, I switched back to the old card that worked normally, and it's working fine so far. This is no solution for me, it's too small (especially after seeing the 10mb+ pics this thing spits out, Geez). but pretty interesting that one card works fine. Tomorrow I'll try again with an exchange :(

Mine doesn't seem dependent at all on motion or jarring.

-Sandisk Extreme 32gb UHS-3 = RANDOM NOTIFICATIONS
-Sandisk Ultra 32gb class10= NORMAL (2 years old, used every day in my S5)
-SanDisk Ultra 64gb UHS-1 = RANDOM NOTIFICATIONS
-SAMSUNG EVO+ 64gb UHS-1 = RANDOM NOTIFICATIONS

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci