S7 Edge Screen View Angle - is something wrong with the screen on my phone.

Guille20876

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I just got my S7 edge 2 days ago. But I noticed that the view angle is not as good as my S5. Actually, the S5 is considerably better. If you look at the screen straight perpendicular is looks fine. But even with a small change in angle you start to see the color change. This is noticed mostly if the image on the screen is white. It begins to turn blue. I looked all over the net and I cannot see any mention of this issue. In fact, the consensus is that the view angle on this screen is above average, being AMOLED. So, this leads me to think there might be something wrong with my phone. Can anybody confirm with their phone what I have noticed?

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So I will say that is completely not what should be the case. I don't believe this should ever be the case with AMOLED displays. Mainly because unlike lcd displays AMOLED has a individual lite source for each subpixel. Lcd has viewing angle problems because the tft film in front of the backlight needs to filter the light, and that filtering created a situation were the light may not go out in all directions if the film isn't great at dispersing it from the pixel.

I have absolutely zero viewing angle issues and though I can't read the text at near 90 degrees it is clearly text. Where did you get the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I just checked mine and I don't have the color shift issues you're describing. The picture definitely looks duller when I'm looking at it from a 45 degree angle and seems to cool in color temp, but not a major shift to blue.

dodgeboy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar color shift issue. Like yours, mine is most noticeable with a white screen (blank tab open in the browser). Mine is an early T-Mobile pre-order (arrived on 3/1).

Guille20876

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
The phone is from sprint. It was shipped directly to the store.

My S5 does the same thing but to a far lesser extent. There seems to be some sort of optical effect going on there. The issue is less noticeable if most of the display is in dark colors. If the whole display is white then it is very noticeable.

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any screen protection on the phone? If it is polarized or a privacy screen you can have issues like that.

Robert Bosse

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm having this same issue. I'm going to bring my back to Verizon... Good thing I saw this article because I thought I was crazy. I compared mine to my wife's and it's definitely different. Hers is clear from all angles and when I put the brightness all the way up, mine is definitely darker.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
That's common. It's called the Doppler shift. As you turn the phone away from you, the wavelength becomes longer, and white shifts towards blue. I have an OLED tv, and it does the same thing. That's how they can tell if a star is moving away from earth or towards it. If it's moving away, the light becomes more blue. If it is moving towards us, the white becomes more red as the wavelength shortens. Simple physics.

Robert Bosse

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, mine isn't like this. My issue is the "edge" of the screen. I can barely see the people edge tab however on my wife's, it's easily viewable.

Robert Bosse

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Here are a couple of images of what my issues are. If any of you have it, return it immediately and get a new one. It's a defect with the entire display...

Notice the edges of the display have that darker tint to them. It's similar to looking at TN panel sideways.
4qXmcd1.jpg
km1TRuq.jpg

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's the curved edges. They cause the light to "bend" giving it a bit of a shadow. Same thing was true on my S6 Edge. It isn't defective and if you don't like it, I would suggest going for the plain S7 with the flat screen.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Here are a couple of images of what my issues are. If any of you have it, return it immediately and get a new one. It's a defect with the entire display...

Notice the edges of the display have that darker tint to them. It's similar to looking at TN panel sideways.

Every S7 edge or S6 edge screen at Best Buy looks exactly like this, you move angle of the phone and it goes away. Reviewers called it the green tint in reviews.