Cracked S7 Edge - Advice

RIs4

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I need a little advice on what to do regarding my cracked Galaxy S7 Edge. My last phone was the Galaxy S6 Edge and I used it a full year without a case and somehow I managed to break my new phone within a week of using it. I received it from T-Mobile on March 2nd and broke it on the 9th. Long story short, it fell out of my pocket at the gym, fell on the matted floor and bounced into a metal machine (which ended up hitting the edge of the screen).

I currently have no phone at the moment, used my sisters s6 Edge to take the pictures attached.

Here is the main problem. I contacted Assurant (T-Mobile's insurance provider), and they said that the phone is currently out of stock. I have been without a phone now for 4 days, with no end in sight since it is such a new phone that they don't have an estimate on when the are getting more in stock.

I went into T-Mobile yesterday and asked if they could give me a loaner for free while I wait but they said it would be a flip phone. This will not work for me since I use my phone for work emails throughout the week. To add Insult to injury, I am going on a mini vacation on Wednesday night to Sunday so I need a phone just in case work needs to contact me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of going into T-Mobile, buying the Galaxy S7 Edge in black (only color in stock) and returning it after 7 days ($50 restocking fee). Does anyone have any better ideas?

Attachments

• 20160313_134649.jpg
    20160313_134649.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 652
  • 20160313_134746.jpg
    20160313_134746.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Just remember if you purchase another S7 and damage that phone in any way, you're out over 700 bucks. I'd just take the most prevalent advice here and buy a cheap smartphone to use until you can get your phone fixed.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Did T-Mobile take the phone from you? It looks like it still functions. If it functions, I would use it until a replacement comes in.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Ouch, even in a case that would still have happened looking at where the damage is.

Posted via the Android Central App

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
can you just put a cheap screen cover or some clear packing tape over it and use it until your other phone arrives. I've seen people do this in the past so they don't cut their fingers.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the others, get a super cheap moto or something from best buy for like 50 and use that, or just use what you have even though it's less than ideal.

Phone is hard to get right now part, sold out all over so they are probably being honest with time frames,

ahmadveg

May 16, 2011
Visit site
wow that hurts. thats what i was nervous about with the edge, thats why i went with the s7. I agree with the previous members, go buy a cheap-o and use that one. I prefer to use my knock offs when i travel, they tend to take more of a beating as opposed to my daily "gem"

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I need a little advice on what to do regarding my cracked Galaxy S7 Edge. My last phone was the Galaxy S6 Edge and I used it a full year without a case and somehow I managed to break my new phone within a week of using it. I received it from T-Mobile on March 2nd and broke it on the 9th. Long story short, it fell out of my pocket at the gym, fell on the matted floor and bounced into a metal machine (which ended up hitting the edge of the screen).

I currently have no phone at the moment, used my sisters s6 Edge to take the pictures attached.

Here is the main problem. I contacted Assurant (T-Mobile's insurance provider), and they said that the phone is currently out of stock. I have been without a phone now for 4 days, with no end in sight since it is such a new phone that they don't have an estimate on when the are getting more in stock.

I went into T-Mobile yesterday and asked if they could give me a loaner for free while I wait but they said it would be a flip phone. This will not work for me since I use my phone for work emails throughout the week. To add Insult to injury, I am going on a mini vacation on Wednesday night to Sunday so I need a phone just in case work needs to contact me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of going into T-Mobile, buying the Galaxy S7 Edge in black (only color in stock) and returning it after 7 days ($50 restocking fee). Does anyone have any better ideas?

You could go online today and get the Samsung plus and file a claim but you'd be looking at a week at least. Or I'd put a screen protector on it and use it till they have replacements in Stock. My s6 edge broke like that and I used it with a broken edge for a couple of months. It's annoying but it can be done. Whoever fixes it will most likely be sending you a new phone.

RIs4

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for all the feedback!

Unfortunately the screen isn't 100% functional, if not I would take the advice many of you had and put a protector over the broken glass.
I think I will go with the cheap android for a week or so like many of you suggested and wait until my insurance gets more inventory.

As some of you suggested, I tried to look for repair shops & Samsung repair, but no one can do it yet because the phone just came out. Every person I have talked to is amazed I already broke the Galaxy S7 Edge with the official release date being March 11th.

KimJong,
That is an extremely good point about if the new phone broke within the 7 days. That did not even cross my mind, I would be out of a thousand dollars between the deductible and the broken 'loaner.'

Paying 10$ a month (soon to be $12) plus the 175 deducible and waiting weeks for a replacement phone is a bit demoralizing. Especially since I have to give back my broken phone once I receive my new one in a few weeks. I am on the fence about insurance after I receive me new phone. I could probably fetch 3-400$ for the cracked Galaxy S7 Edge. Add the 175 deducible to what I would get for my cracked phone and I would save a lot of time and aggravation with the whole process. This might just be me talking out of frustration.

Once again thanks for all the help!

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
You can get At&t Lumia 640 for $30. Go to at&t website and unlock it. You can try windows as back up for fun.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
You can get At&t Lumia 640 for $30. Go to at&t website and unlock it. You can try windows as back up for fun.

I was JUST about to say this! You can get a Windows Phone for diiiirt cheap and they are highly functional. The only mainstream app they don't have is snapchat. Only kids use that crap though

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... get a burner.... I mean, there's no way you'll get that repaired on your own channel. First off, the thing is so new, no one will have them in stock really... and second, they will be HELLISHLY expensive. I'm guessing that you'll be paying well into the $200's for a replacement screen.

Now, you'll see 'replacement panels' for like $40 or so.. avoid those like the plague. Those are ONLY the glass, not the actual screen. Samsung bonds the AMOLED panel to the glass (aka SuperAMOLED), and removing the panel and reapplying it to the new glass, you aren't going to end up with a display that's as good a quality as you would just replacing the entire unit. And the S7E is a bit of a bear to take apart to get to that panel, anyone that rips that sucked apart to replace the screen, well, it will never be the same phone again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781