Wireless Charging GMC Sierra

jdh4

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
The charger has worked on my 2016 yukon denali and the s7 edge but I do have to remove the case most of the time. Sometimes it works with the case on it but with no case everytime

Posted via the Android Central App

mcdonsco

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Same issue, s7 edge in a Sierra Denali 2016. I had a standard s7 originally and it worked without a problem, so not sure why this one won't work.

EDIT: I got it working by removing the piece of rubber over the wireless charger which just pulls out it's not in any way attached with glue or screws or anything it just pulls right out without that my S7 Edge charges no problem instantly as soon as I lay it down. So I think when I get home I'm going to cut out the ridges on that insert so the phone is closer to the charger which should help.

Joseph Colandreo

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Great fix! I just turned the rubber piece 180 degrees and reinstalled it! Works perfect! You will have to cut the little nub on the bottom of the rubber mat so it will lay flat!

Been working perfect for two days! Didn't cost a dime and only took about 5 minutes. If you use a very small screw driver pull the sides in at the middle (both sides). Pull it out. To reinstall put the ends in first then the sides.

Nothing to it! Ajust the phone so the bottom edge of the phone just covers the orange warning labe.

I have a 2016 Silverado 2500HD and a Samsung S7 Active.

Last edited:

PaulNY

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Great fix! I just turned the rubber piece 180 degrees and reinstalled it! Works perfect! You will have to cut the little nub on the bottom of the rubber mat so it will lay flat!

Registered to say thank you, this worked for me!

Just picked up a '16 Sierra 2500HD a few days ago and it was bugging me that my S7 Edge wasn't charging. I just had to pry off the rubber and cut off that little nub at the bottom and rotate it and its been working all day.

Red 2

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I have a 2016 silverado 2500 HD and was also having issues with the charging pad. I was able to get it to work with an iphone and a qi charging case, but this took up the lightening port and didn't allow for apple carplay (which is terrible compared to android auto by the way). I recently got a galaxy S7 and the pad would work for about a second one in every 50 times i placed it on the mat. I brought the truck into the dealership and they placed a small module on the mat that tested the connectivity via an LED light...they sent me out the door and told me it works fine and my phone is the problem. Not the phone, its GM.

I tore the unit apart and found that it only provides about 1 amp of power which is is not enough to power the new generation of wirelessly charging phones. As i understand it, if you have a phone that is capable of "fast charging, you need 2 amps to make this feature work and when you combine that with the half inch rubber mat (and maybe a phone case), this GM charging pad is too weak. If you are to remove the rubber pad your phone will most likely charge without issue but it will be quite slow.

GM is going to continue to offer this charging pad in their vehicles and the old phones that actually did work with it are going to quickly be phased out leaving them with a problem. This is common sense and for whatever reason their techs do not understand this. It is not an issue with phone compatability per se, its an issue with a power module that is now underpowered topped with a terrible design. Up the unit to 2 amps and reduce the mat's thickness by half and there will be zero issue.

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I wish this fix would work in my 16 Impala. I have the same issue with charging on my s7 edge. Maybe I'll try to pull the rubber mat off of mine

let live

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm having issues with my wireless charging on my s7 Edge with my 16 GMC Sierra. It works perfect on my samsung wireless charger. I have tried naked and with a case and still won't pick it up. Anyone else having issues? Is there a setting that needs to be turned on in the phone? Thank you for help.

Hi,

This is a answer to everyone. I have a 16 GMC Denali 3500 Diesel truck, all i did was turn on my NFC and viola it works. Hope this helps.

jobrien802

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Just tried this fix on my 2016 Sierra Denali. Works great. To remove the rubber mat, just use a thin bladed small flathead screw-driver. Use the blade to work your way between the hard plastic and the rubber of the mat. Go slowly, and work your way around until you can life the mat away from the plastic.The mat will lift off. At one end is a nub of rubber that will need to be trimmed away. Turn the mat 180 degrees and work the mat under the plastic frame. I tested this fix and the phone (Android 7 Note), and it began to charge right away.

mek_man

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Just tried this fix on my 2016 Sierra Denali. Works great. To remove the rubber mat, just use a thin bladed small flathead screw-driver. Use the blade to work your way between the hard plastic and the rubber of the mat. Go slowly, and work your way around until you can life the mat away from the plastic.The mat will lift off. At one end is a nub of rubber that will need to be trimmed away. Turn the mat 180 degrees and work the mat under the plastic frame. I tested this fix and the phone (Android 7 Note), and it began to charge right away.

Any chance you could take a picture? Of your mod. My Nexus 6 doesn't work. I'm guessing mainly due to the size in my Sierra Denali, but I will be getting a note 7 once the recall is over. Additionally, does Android Auto work on your note 7 in your truck??

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm having issues with my wireless charging on my s7 Edge with my 16 GMC Sierra. It works perfect on my samsung wireless charger. I have tried naked and with a case and still won't pick it up. Anyone else having issues? Is there a setting that needs to be turned on in the phone? Thank you for help.

Same problems here with Note7 in a 2016 GMC Sierra. Tried 2 other Notes from friends as well as an S7 and the pad is extremely finikey on where the phone is placed. Going down the road and hit a bump, phone moves slightly and it stops charging. Happens with and without cases on phones. GM should issue a recall. It certainly does not work properly.

PCNDJN

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
I also easily pulled off the mat on my 2016 Chevy Silverado 3500, cut the Nb off, popped it back I'm, and my note 7 started charging right away. Although it wasn't a big thing, it was frustratingly annoying that this little thing did not originally work. Now it's awesome!!!! Easy fix! Apparently they did not put the charging pad center enough.

alibineworleans

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem, Galaxy 7 edge won't charge. I took the rubber mat out and it charges every time. Another GM defect that will never be recalled because it doesn't affect safety.

lylebrous

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
This is horrible. I just picked up my 2017 Tahoe and what appeared to be a nice feature is a giant turd. GM really should do something to make this right. If anyone has pics of thier mod, please post.

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
I googled "GM Wireless Charging" and came across this forum. For what it's worth, my 2017 Impala has the wireless charging pad and I had similar issues as mentioned here. I ended up removing the thick rubber mat and replacing it with a patch of that non-slip rug pad, you know the kind that's like a rubber mesh. It allows my phone to charge with the cover on, yet it won't slide around. Since this charger is hidden in a compartment with a door no one sees it.

Last edited:

Msr476

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
I have a camaro 17. I have a samsung galaxy s7 which is troubling with my wireless charging ... i followed you guys .. i just pulled of the mat. Its simple pull from any side its comes off and now its charging well. Its problem of the mat i figured out. I should get my mat replaced.

Newfydad

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
I dont believe that document. I have a 2016 Sierra 1500 Denali. My S7 with case seemed to charge just fine if the phone was positioned to the rear of the mat. I turned the mat anyway, and the phone still indicates wireless charging every time I put it on the mat. In my case the ignition or retained accessory power must be on.

SSpinball

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
you have 2 distinct problems with wireless charging in GM vehicles.
#1 the GM pad is almost 2mm thick, this makes wireless charging difficult and less effective.
I replace the rubber pad with a leather like material, minimize this thickness.

#2 the charger is installed to far forward for larger, phones to charge.
If you remove the outer bezel you can see how to remove and modify the charger Pad to accept larger phones, maximize phone width 3.1 inches. by moving the charger positon all the way to the back of the Bezel. the Bezel unbolts after inside cover is removed.20171023_090724.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams