Any way to send images with out sacrificing quality?

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

So I have been using Google messenger on my edge and sent an imagine to my wife who is on an iPhone and when I saw what was delivered it was terrible in terms of quality, as if it was compressed to 20% of its original quality.

I switched to the default messenger that Samsung provides and while it's better it still seems off, any ideas? Maybe Textra?

Thanks!

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

So I have been using Google messenger on my edge and sent an imagine to my wife who is on an iPhone and when I saw what was delivered it was terrible in terms of quality, as if it was compressed to 20% of its original quality.

I switched to the default messenger that Samsung provides and while it's better it still seems off, any ideas? Maybe Textra?

Thanks!
No, MMS size limits are put in place by the carriers. My wife and I use a shared cloud folder on Google Drive for pictures of the kids, etc.

Otherwise data messenging apps such as Hangouts, WhatsApp, etc. will have higher image quality.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I was using a 6s+ on att, I have had plenty of android phones especially last year, GS6, GS6 Edge, Note 5, G4 and I do not recall this being an issue but maybe I just never payed attention to it :)

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Or an actual IM Client that can send files.

Something like Hangouts, BBM, or Skype. This is why text needs to go bye bye. The data payload limits are horrible.

elder_shawn

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
This is driving me nuts since my note 4 had no problems sending out higher quality images and videos. I can't find a setting anywhere to decrease the crazy compression.

jb_bryant

May 19, 2016
Visit site
You guys who are talking about compression because it's MMS don't know what your talking about. The Google Messenger app compresses if you use the quick select drawer fort pictures. If you go into these actual picture drawer you'll see that pictures send in normal quality like most other messaging apps (like Textra).

I found this post looking to see if anyone knew if there was a way to fix this in the filesystem.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Yup. On Android the closest thing to iMessage that's natively supported is Hangouts. It works exactly like iMessage, using an IM client to send videos and pictures, then works with SMS and MMS. I have no idea why Google bothered to come up with Messenger and not use this as the default in the first place.

jb_bryant

May 19, 2016
Visit site
You guys are responding to a general MMS image quality issue without acknowledging the issue at hand. The Google Messenger app compresses photos and other apps don't. This is before standard MMS compression comes into the mix

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You guys are responding to a general MMS image quality issue without acknowledging the issue at hand. The Google Messenger app compresses photos and other apps don't. This is before standard MMS compression comes into the mix
Wait, how do you know that? MMS has a standard and messenger should be adhering to that.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Uh, no. Google Messenger is just a front end for inbuilt messaging service. Whatever SMS app you use, pictures will be compressed for MMS sending.

jb_bryant

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Because I tested it. I sent the same screenshot from Google Messenger, Textra and the HTC messenger apps. From my HTC 10 to a friend's HTC 10. He did the same from his to mine. The ones from Google Messenger were severely pixelated and the others weren't. There's a thread on Reddit confirming the same.

Test it out yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech