S7 Ede: SD Card Unexpectedly removed = Phone doesn't see the card

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I have tried everything except resetting the phone completely. any ideas? the SD Card works normally in the PC when I connect it and I just format it again.

Any help will be appreciate it!

mwep

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I am having same exact issue... I am using a Samsung 128GB EVO Card which is brand new. I woke up following morning with error on my screen. I ejected but couldnt get the card to be recognized. Battery drained hardcore until I removed the card completely.

I factory reset and trying different SD Card.

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I am having same exact issue... I am using a Samsung 128GB EVO Card which is brand new. I woke up following morning with error on my screen. I ejected but couldnt get the card to be recognized. Battery drained hardcore until I removed the card completely.

I factory reset and trying different SD Card.

Funny you mention that, I been having the same issue and getting hot too. I oredered a different card to see if thats the problem, if its not, then I guess I will be having AT&T get me a new phone. Let me know whwat happens if you get to do the swap first than me.

mwep

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I also noticed the device gets super hot but only when on a wireless charger. The SD Card error happened before I got it on a charger.

I have a new SD Card, SanDisk, which I am going to try. I already did a factory reset. I am also going to try Fat32 as the format. I believe the Samsung card I was using was probably exFat. I probably should have formatted it myself inside the device to limit any corruption.

Can you tell me what SD Card you were using when this occurred ? You mention that you formatted on your PC, do you know what format type you used ?

Thanks!!

mwep

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I took a little different route than originally planned...

I decided to stick with the Samsung 128GB Evo which was giving me problems. After factory reset, the card did show up. I formatted the card using the S7 Edge to see if that makes a difference.

I have a feeling this was really caused by the fact I was using a brand new SD card and had not formatted the card.

After formatting, there was 1.48MB of space used. About an hour later, the used space went up to about 4.2MB. While nothing huge, it does show that some sort of cataloging or file system stuff is happening on the SD Card.

FWIW: I did not restore and opted to setup a new device.

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I also noticed the device gets super hot but only when on a wireless charger. The SD Card error happened before I got it on a charger.

I have a new SD Card, SanDisk, which I am going to try. I already did a factory reset. I am also going to try Fat32 as the format. I believe the Samsung card I was using was probably exFat. I probably should have formatted it myself inside the device to limit any corruption.

Can you tell me what SD Card you were using when this occurred ? You mention that you formatted on your PC, do you know what format type you used ?

Thanks!!

I havea PNY 128 gb which was formatted as exFAT. I did format it a total of 2 times and still nothing. Now when I insert the card into the phone, nothing happens. zero. nada. So I ordered 2 Sandisk Ultra 128GB and well see how it goes, tomorrow if I have time, I will pass by AT&T and have them pop any card in it to see if it reads it. If it doesnt, I am going to assume that it is the phone the one with the problem unless someone else chimes in for a different solution. I am glad you were able to sort it out. I just want this one to work for me :p :)

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I took a little different route than originally planned...

I decided to stick with the Samsung 128GB Evo which was giving me problems. After factory reset, the card did show up. I formatted the card using the S7 Edge to see if that makes a difference.

I have a feeling this was really caused by the fact I was using a brand new SD card and had not formatted the card.

After formatting, there was 1.48MB of space used. About an hour later, the used space went up to about 4.2MB. While nothing huge, it does show that some sort of cataloging or file system stuff is happening on the SD Card.

FWIW: I did not restore and opted to setup a new device.

When I insert the card into the phone, I am supposed to see the "Mount" :Unmount" and "Format" under Storage but none of that comes up. I really dont want to set it up as a new device all over because I have put so many stuff in it already, unless I am able to install all the apps with one click options :p

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Quick Update,

Did a Factory Reset on the phone, so brand new again, tried putting the SD CARD and the phone didn't recognize/see it. I am assuming is going to be the card that has the problem, so i'll wait until I get the other one and try it. Hopefully is just the card.

mwep

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So far so good... One thing I am noticing and I not sure if its normal behavior...

When I reboot the device, I get a notification that an SD Card has been inserted. Anyone else getting this message upon each reboot ?

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
So far so good... One thing I am noticing and I not sure if its normal behavior...

When I reboot the device, I get a notification that an SD Card has been inserted. Anyone else getting this message upon each reboot ?

Do you mean something that says "Ready for pictures and media transfer" ?? If its similar to that, it seems to be a normal thing that people already are complaining about on how to remove it since it always comes up. Is supposed to be part of the S7 but hopefull Samsung will work something to make that go away.

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Update:

I received the new SD Cards today and pop them in the phones and Voila! finally it did work, so it seems to be that it was the memory. I guess Ill use the old ones for the computer. Thank you mwep for keeping up :)

billyjoebob007

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I havea PNY 128 gb which was formatted as exFAT. I did format it a total of 2 times and still nothing. Now when I insert the card into the phone, nothing happens. zero. nada. So I ordered 2 Sandisk Ultra 128GB and well see how it goes, tomorrow if I have time, I will pass by AT&T and have them pop any card in it to see if it reads it. If it doesnt, I am going to assume that it is the phone the one with the problem unless someone else chimes in for a different solution. I am glad you were able to sort it out. I just want this one to work for me :p :)

I had that same pny card and worked great on me ol note 3 and pc but in the s7e it no like at all. I did format it on the pc though as exfat. Didnt try to format in the phone. I sent it back and ordered the samsung evo 128gb card from samsung, will see how that one goes.:-\

20degrees

Banned
Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Did you guys make sure to let the phone format the card? I was having a message pop up on boot until I formatted the card in the phone. Been flawless ever since.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I read that you need a better SD card. A high speed one even faster MB/S than a class 10. Somewhere between 80 and whatever the next higher rate is. I know with the S7 edge we're trying to get the most memory from the SD card for as cheap as possible but you gotta spend a lil more on the high speed one for a phone like this. I'm not a tech wiz but an article I read stated that even class 10 isn't the greatest for this phone. With the faster processor and the phones becoming more powerful, the old SD cards can't keep up. Pretty much obsolete. Try a better SD card and see what ya get. I have a 64 gig San disc ultra plus micro sdxc UHS-I... 80 MB/S and have had no issues to date. Didn't have to format or anything. If I can find that article again, I'll post.

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I had that same pny card and worked great on me ol note 3 and pc but in the s7e it no like at all. I did format it on the pc though as exfat. Didnt try to format in the phone. I sent it back and ordered the samsung evo 128gb card from samsung, will see how that one goes.:-\

You shouldn't have any problem with the new onews you orderer, my PNY's I could've send it back but Imma keep it for pc stuff. Oh BTW, I didn't formatmy card and is working fine no problems so far.

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I read that you need a better SD card. A high speed one even faster MB/S than a class 10. Somewhere between 80 and whatever the next higher rate is. I know with the S7 edge we're trying to get the most memory from the SD card for as cheap as possible but you gotta spend a lil more on the high speed one for a phone like this. I'm not a tech wiz but an article I read stated that even class 10 isn't the greatest for this phone. With the faster processor and the phones becoming more powerful, the old SD cards can't keep up. Pretty much obsolete. Try a better SD card and see what ya get. I have a 64 gig San disc ultra plus micro sdxc UHS-I... 80 MB/S and have had no issues to date. Didn't have to format or anything. If I can find that article again, I'll post.

Absolutely agree with you. I ordered the SanDisk Ultra (not the plus) with the same 80 MB/S and it seems to be what you just said. I did get a good deal for them ($35) each since they cost $115 (each) from amazon so I cannot complain :)

jmremsen

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
SOLUTION: This happened to me today. I have a Samsung 128 GB SD card installed in my Galaxy S7 Edge Verizon. I rebooted the phone today and when i did so, the SC card was not accessible and the apps I had moved to the SD card were "not installed". I saw this solution on another forum and it worked for me: Download the app "package disabler pro" and disable com.samsung.faceservice.

boulianc

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Please note that this can go away for a few days but will come back. No matter what you do (hard reset = I did 8 times), 2 micro SD, one Sandish and one Samsung = same problem. Unfortunately, it is a hardware issue. If I were you, I would protect my phone with a case and screen protector (to ensure to keep full warranty of the device) and wait a few months to get a phone from a new batch. I have a friend who works at Samsung Canada and he anonymously told me that this is a known issue by Samsung who will not admit it and they will still sale the batch that was previously build with this issue. Once they get new batch, this will be fixed. Also, my assumption is that the issue will get worse overtime (sun, cold, bending, pockets, etc). Good luck.

Rockape978

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I have done pretty much what everyone else has done, factory reset formatted the card on the phone and on Mac trying different ways. Tried different sd cards but no joy. It says it's in but not found by any apps, I have also contacted Samsung and guess what no reply what so ever.:(:( so hopefully Samsung get these replaced ASAP

boulianc

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I sent my S7 to a Samsung authorized service repair center. Verdict: They need to replace the motherboard. Its officially an hardware issue, thus not affecting all devices. The ones that are affected needs replacement/or motherboard replacement. When they replace the motherboard, they have (no choice) to also replace the screen. Cost CDN 690$.

I wounder why Samsung just don't send me a new phone as their cost for a new device is around 240$ USD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay