Best/Ideal Bluetooth Controller or Game Controller for use with the Gear VR headset?

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
When we have our S7 Edge inside the Gear VR, we'd need a Bluetooth controller of some sort in order to navigate the menus effectively.

May I know what specific model might be the "best" or the ideal controller to get for this purpose?

An alphanumeric keypad won't be too useful as we are unable to glance down at the keyboard even if we needed to for a short glance, as our vision is completely obscured by the Gear VR. So, I'd think some type of game controller or controller of some sort, Bluetooth is a must, that would work better.

Thanks.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i watched a video that compared a few different controllers. apparently the samsung one is the most compatible (of course) but also has crappy analog sticks (they seem to be reminiscent of the nintendo DS ones that are sunken into the controller instead of being raised)

i really with the ps4 controller worked well with it, because that would be ideal.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
apparently the samsung one is the most compatible (of course) .

somewhat related -

I have the Samsung Level U bluetooth headphones, that I have used with the Nexus 6, LG V10 and the Samsung S7 Edge. Although it worked with the others, it certainly seems to work much better with the Samsung. Connects much quicker, never errors out. Like if I walk off and leave them turned on, but not on my person, it will lose connection. Sometimes with the Nexus and a lot with the V10, it wouldn't reconnect right away. I would have to launch the app and/or powercycle the Level U. With the S7, it instantly reconnects, and works just fine.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
somewhat related -

I have the Samsung Level U bluetooth headphones, that I have used with the Nexus 6, LG V10 and the Samsung S7 Edge. Although it worked with the others, it certainly seems to work much better with the Samsung. Connects much quicker, never errors out. Like if I walk off and leave them turned on, but not on my person, it will lose connection. Sometimes with the Nexus and a lot with the V10, it wouldn't reconnect right away. I would have to launch the app and/or powercycle the Level U. With the S7, it instantly reconnects, and works just fine.

i have the level u pro headphones, they haven't had an issue with connection either.

as far as the controller, the compatibilty i'm talking about is the button recognition and configuration in the VR apps, some of the other controllers don't map properly.

the button layout on the samsung controller is also terrible. it's rotated at an odd angle which is different from literally every controller made in the past 2 decades. WHY SAMSUNG?!?!?!?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
somewhat related -

I use them also. Love em. The only problem is that on my s6 they would play my ringtones when i got a call, but on my s7e it just plays the default. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, unpaired, repaired, and still no luck.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
SteelSeries Stratus XL is by far the best I have used for a mobile platform and works perfect with the S7 Edge and Gear VR. I have had no issues with it as of receiving it 3/1/16 used with S6 Edge. Once I received the S7 Edge and VR from Best Buy on 3/7/16 linked up and still not negative feedback.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Is your phone rooted? My phone will not find my PS3 controller, and everything else I can find online only show using the sixaxis app and root.

No, it's not rooted. Mine found it when i first hooked up the gear vr and used it to play gunjack. To be honest, i haven't tried since though.

ProMed

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
How did you get that to work? I paired mine to the phone using their app and my phone reads it is connected but it will not work in my vr games that require a controller.

I've been running it in "B" mode only, haven't tried the "A" mode and not exactly certain what the difference is. I read in one of the reviews that A mode was for the MOGA enhanced games, and B mode is just like a normal Bluetooth controller. Not sure if that is true, but in B mode it has worked every time in my Gear VR.

Hope that helps!