In real life, how often do you use the edge? Is it useful?

Is the Edge useful to you?

• Total voters

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I like it a lot because it's a quick shortcut to get my weather, ram usage, data usage, messages and news feed all at a glance.

The fact that the screen is curved makes no difference, really. This is just a software feature any phone could use.

azdenn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm recollecting that my Galaxy Note 4 got an "Edge Update" :-[

Obviously I don't use it too much, but this thread jogged my memory. Pressing and holding the "back arrow" to the right of the home key brings up the "Edge". I'm going to play with addin and removing the standard apps to see if I can make it more useful, while waiting for AT&T to release Marshmallow... ... ... ... :-\

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
To be honest it's no use to me but more of an issue in trying to hold the phone without touching the screen.

I prefer the look of the edge to edge screen but I cannot see that you couldn't do the same tasks with a standard flat screen (apart from edge lighting)

If the S7 was the same size as the S7 Edge I may have chosen that instead.

It is a sexy looking phone though. I guess you have to go through hell for the sake of style :)

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Use it here and there. People edge, quick tools and data use management are useful to me.

Would probably use more if more apps were available. Different social media feeds as well as a stock email and text app would be great. Kind of annoyed that Samsung never included those two as stock, though I see one dev has them for sale

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I found some use for the task bar a quick shortcut to call or message certain contacts or family members I find it quicker than going through the contacts

The apps panel as well for certain apps and I also find the stock panel useful for stock updates

Posted via the Android Central App

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The edge thing is basically a glorified OmniSwitch from AOSP, which I loved a lot.

I wish we could use edge for recents, as the scrolling in recents sucks pretty bad.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I love it. I bought the S6 over the S6 edge when it released because I didn't see the justification on the price difference just for the edged screen. However now that I purchased the S7 edge, I see the difference and love it. Quick access to quite a few tasks that I use often, saves a few screen taps when looking for frequently used contacts, news, weather and other information is quickly available. The time display on the edge is a nice touch at night that can replace a clock on the dresser. The edge lighting is a great feature as well for me. When the screen is locked you can view new feeds and missed content without opening your phone. Coming from a phone without the edge to now having it, I like it a lot. It helps me in ways that I appreciate. I'm sure others will feel differently but in my opinion, it's a win.

crispyone

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just need to train my brain to use it more when in other apps and I believe it could be useful (for me at least).

This is exactly how I'm using it. If I'm in one app and want to go straight into another one without going back to my home screen, I use the edge panel.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I just need to train my brain to use it more when in other apps and I believe it could be useful (for me at least).

Bingo! Not having to go back to the home screen and/or app drawer to start up a new app is the benefit to me. Of course, that functionality doesn't need a curved screen. There are a number of good side launchers in the play store that will work on any phone.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I am just starting to use it. Jury is still out, but I think it's going to be very handy for me. I like being able to side swipe and have control over what I can place on the panels. I may even leave Nova off of this phone.

I didn't physically use the second display on my V10 because it was too hard to reach one handed but I did like the notification aspects.

slp15

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It has been very useful for me when I need to jump into another app or connect with one of my contacts. I know a lot of people are not talking about this feature but I really like the OnCircle feature of People Edge. I just wish it was for every Samsung phone not just the Edge models

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay