Things I've disabled with Package Disabler Pro on my Verizon S7 Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I know that I just posted this in another thread, but I feel that this may be helpful to the community at large to see what can safely be disabled on your new S7 Edge. I am basically going for the least amount of stuff possible (as close to nexus as I can), but still keeping things available that I find useful (like Samsung Pay). Here is a total list of everything I've disabled (on Verizon...not sure what other carrier's lists look like) - 112 items total:

EDIT 2: As referenced by a thread over on XDA, make sure prior to disabling a package, you delete all the data for the package and then disable immediately after - this can all be done in the Package disabler pro app. See this thread for reference - {GUIDE} Tips that helped me improve my S7 Ed… - Pg. 3 | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

EDIT 3: I have now attached my total list of disabled packages as a zipped XML file that imports directly into Package Disabler Pro - there are a total of 164 things I have disabled. I will mention to everyone that there are some random things like "Clock" that I have disabled since I downloaded the normal Google Clock from the Play Store, so just be aware that there may be a random thing or 2 that you use that I have ultimately disabled.

Enjoy!

Access Cloud
AllShare FileShare Serivce
Amazon
Amazon Kindle
Amazon Music
ANT + DUT
ANT HAL Service
ANT Radio Service
ANT+ Plugins Service
Assistant Menu
Basic Daydreams
BBCAgent
BeaconManager
Bluetooth MIDI Service
Briefing
Briefing feed
Calendar
Caller Name ID
Camera test
CarmodeStub
ChocoEUKor
ClipboardSaveService
CLipboardUIService
Cloud
Color adjustment
com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
com.android.sharedstoragebackup
com.android.wallpapercropper
com.samsung.android.app.watchmanagerstub
com.sec.android.app.chromecustomizations
com.sec.android.app.minimode.res
com.sec.android.app.wfdbroker
Control TV
CoolEUKor
DeviceTest
Dictionary
Drive
Email
Foundation
Galaxy Apps
Galaxy Essentials Widget
Gear VR Service
Gear VR SetupWizardStub
Gear VR Shell
go90
Hancom Office 2014
Health Service
Help
Highlight Video Player
IMS Settings
Keis Application BnR
KNOX
KnoxAppsUpdateAgent
Live wallpaper picker
LLKAgent
Magnifier
MDMApp
Memo
Message+
My InfoZone
My interest
My Places
My Verizon MObile
Nearby devices
Nearby Service
NFL Mobile
Personal Data Management
Photo Screensavers
Photos
Private Mode Service
Quick Connect
RoseEUKor
S Finder
S Health
S Voice App
Safety Information
Samsung ApexService
Samsung Content Agent
Samsung Galaxy
Samsung Gear
Samsung Keyboard
Samsung Location SDK
SAmsung Milk Music
Samsung MirrorLink 1.1
Samsung Push Service
Samsung text-to-speech engine
SamsungDLPSerivce
SapaMOnitor
Screen MIrrioring
SecurityLogAgent
Settings Receiver
Slacker Radio
Smart Switch
Smart Switch Agent
Spanish Language Pack
Support & Protection
TalkBack
TouchWiz easy home
Verizon Location Agent
Verizon Login
Verizon Store Demo Mode
Virtual Tour
Voice Assistant
Voice Service
Voice wake-up
VPN Client
VpnDialogs
VZ Navigator
vzw_api
VZW_Multicast_MW
VZWAPN
withTV

Feel free to let me know if there are more things I can add to this list that you've safely disabled without issues!

EDIT: Round 2:
AASAserivce
Clock (Installed standard Google Clock)
CMHProvider
com.samsung.dcmservice
com.samsung.enhanceservice
com.samsung.faceservice
com.samsung.hs20provider
com.samsung.InputEventApp
com.samsung.ipservice
com.Samsung.storyservice
com.samsung.vzw.huxhtmlviewer
Game Launcher
Game Tools
GamepadService
GameService
Safety assistance
Simple sharing
SLLibrary
SmartCallProvider
SmartcardManager
SmartcardService
SmartFaceService

Attachments

• disabledpackages.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,863
Last edited:

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I really fail to see the point. The stuff is still there, most likely has very little affect on performance, and may screw up something else. If you want a Nexus, buy one, trying to make another phone into one is pointless.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Many people, myself included, like to disable unneeded stuff. Even if it has very little affect on performance.

I really fail to see the point. The stuff is still there, most likely has very little affect on performance, and may screw up something else. If you want a Nexus, buy one, trying to make another phone into one is pointless.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

The whole point of posting this is to show what can safely be disabled WITHOUT screwing something up. Even if this gains me an extra 10 minutes of battery life, then I'll take it - I don't need any of these things listed here.

And I would buy a Nexus if they made one that met my needs, which they still have failed to do. So until that time comes, I will make my phone as close to stock as possible and it is certainly not pointless. I like what I like, and you like what you like.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Following up on my disabled bloat - first night I had the phone, I left it to drain fully charged to see what the overnight drain per hour was - I went from 100% to 80% in 8 hours - over a 2%/hr drain, which is not very good. Last night, got the opportunity to do it again with all of the bloat disabled. I went from 100% to 97% in 8 hours...MUCH improved standby power usage.

Those saying it does not matter - it DOES matter. If you don't need it, get rid of it.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

Beauty of PD is that you can easily enable, disable or re-enable without harming anything. Plus, you can export and import the settings to an XML file so you don't have to do it all over again following a system update.

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing something similar. I've done two things in the past two days, the at&t update and disabling a bunch of junk with package disabler pro and my standby performance has improved dramatically. Previously, I would not often see the flatline battery usage in GSAM indicating Doze, but since these two changes I see the flatline consistently when the phone is sitting idle for a period of time. Unfortunately I did the changes around the same time so I can't definitively determine which had the affect or if it's a combination, but this is a dramatic improvement.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Does the ANT applications have anything to do with connecting to a smart watch? Also thanks man I disabled a ton of stuff I didn't already have done before cause I didn't know what was safe.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Couple more things to add:

AASAserivce
CMHProvider
com.samsung.dcmservice
com.samsung.faceservice
com.samsung.hs20provider
com.samsung.ipservice
com.Samsung.storyservice
Game Launcher
Game Tools
GamepadService
GameService
Safety assistance
Simple sharing
SLLibrary
SmartCallProvider
SmartcardManager
SmartcardService
SmartFaceService

Will update 1st post with these as well.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Couple more things to add:

AASAserivce
CMHProvider
com.samsung.dcmservice
com.samsung.faceservice
com.samsung.hs20provider
com.samsung.ipservice
com.Samsung.storyservice
Game Launcher
Game Tools
GamepadService
GameService
Safety assistance
Simple sharing
SLLibrary
SmartCallProvider
SmartcardManager
SmartcardService
SmartFaceService

Will update 1st post with these as well.
Game Launcher can save a ton of battery. Unless you never play games.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Game Launcher can save a ton of battery. Unless you never play games.

Understandable, but for the purposes of this thread, I'm just trying to show what is safe. I do a little Clash of Clans here and there but don't do any real major gaming, so I doubt I would recognize any significant power savings personally.

royinferno69

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I really appreciate you took the time to make this list and share it with others Marlin. Thank you very much. Just got my S7 on T-Mobile and this was the first thing I started searching for on the forums. I'm coming from a 5X, though still using it from time to time, so I was a bit worried about my experience since I'm a first time Samsung Galaxy owner. Gotta say Package Disabler Pro does it's job wonderfully, great recommendation.

Again thank you for taking the time to make this list.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

I do disable full blown apps that show up in the app drawer if I know I'm not going to use them, but I don't go disabling every service and apk known to man unless A) it's running in the background even though I don't use it or B) it's causing a specific problem like it's force closing or something. OP disabled even the different fonts that come with the phone for example, which I don't understand because they don't run in the background and they don't show up in your app drawer or anything (just in the font selection menu). So what's the point?

Here's what I disabled on my AT&T S7 Edge for comparison. Most of these were disabled right from the app drawer, and only one (com.samsung.faceservice) requires Package Disabler Pro to disable. I disabled that one because I kept getting a message that it force closed when I opened the gallery app.

AT&T apps
AT&T Hot Spots
AT&T Locker
AT&T Protect Plus
Caller Name ID (AT&T)
Device Help (AT&T)
DriveMode (AT&T)
myAT&T
Smart Limits (AT&T)

Other
Amazon
Amazon Installation Status
Amazon Kindle
Android Pay (doesn't work with changed screen density)
Briefing
com.facebook.appmanager
com.facebook.system
com.samsung.faceservice
DIRECTV
DIRECTV Quick Remote
Facebook
Galaxy Essentials Widget
Hancom Office 2014
Hangouts
Lookout
Memo
Plenti
S Health
S Voice
Samsung Gear
Samsung Milk Music
Uber
Voice Service
Voice Wake-up

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I do disable full blown apps that show up in the app drawer if I know I'm not going to use them, but I don't go disabling every service and apk known to man unless A) it's running in the background even though I don't use it or B) it's causing a specific problem like it's force closing or something. OP disabled even the different fonts that come with the phone for example, which I don't understand because they don't run in the background and they don't show up in your app drawer or anything (just in the font selection menu). So what's the point?

Here's what I disabled on my AT&T S7 Edge for comparison. Most of these were disabled right from the app drawer, and only one (com.samsung.faceservice) requires Package Disabler Pro to disable. I disabled that one because I kept getting a message that it force closed when I opened the gallery app.

AT&T apps
AT&T Hot Spots
AT&T Locker
AT&T Protect Plus
Caller Name ID (AT&T)
Device Help (AT&T)
DriveMode (AT&T)
myAT&T
Smart Limits (AT&T)

Other
Amazon
Amazon Installation Status
Amazon Kindle
Android Pay (doesn't work with changed screen density)
Briefing
com.facebook.appmanager
com.facebook.system
com.samsung.faceservice
DIRECTV
DIRECTV Quick Remote
Facebook
Galaxy Essentials Widget
Hancom Office 2014
Hangouts
Lookout
Memo
Plenti
S Health
S Voice
Samsung Gear
Samsung Milk Music
Uber
Voice Service
Voice Wake-up

I take the attitude that if I don't need/want it, and it is apparently safe to disable, I disable.

Android is hardly transparent in the way it handles its chores. When I got my G4 back in June, it took me a week or so to pinpoint exactly which app of mine had gone rogue, because the battery stats for that app didn't indicate a problem. The wild Keep Awake times showed in the Android OS' battery stat line (it was a third party app).

So, I err on the side of aggressive, because I don't ever know everything going on under the hood. I agree that extra fonts are likely causing no performance issues, but if I don't need them, off with their heads! At least they aren't "in the way" (an admittedly minor thing) if I ever do change the font later on.

Looking at your list, I'm guessing there are things you didn't have to disable for performance reasons either. So, live and let live.

~Kevin
Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Is there any benefit at all with modern Android, deactivating apps, and the way it handles storage? Does it treat an active and a deactivated app exactly the same in terms of how it (would potebtially) access each? I'm sort of thinking here of the way Windows can Defrag mentioned and "prioritize" stored apps and data.

Are all stored apps exactly the same on Android (not asking about running on background, etc...just speedier access, etc.).

~Kevin
Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.