Why does my S7 change words when exclamation point/question mark is used?

yumgrinder

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
My Brand new S7 edge changes correct words to other words when I add a question mark or exclamation point followed by a space. The words I am using are not incorrect, and are not misspelled as I will delete and retype the same word and it will do it over and over again. The only way to avoid it is to put a space inbetween the word and the punctuation.

Here are a few examples...
It'll change "sure" to "it", "today" to "with", "off" to "the", "face" to "own", "much" to "good", "home" to "bad", "artist" to "same"

these are just a few examples, it does it to many many more words. it also likes to change words to "I" and it may not always change the words to the same alternate word. It is random.

It is definitely tied into the predictive text, and the only way to stop it is to disable it. I lose autocorrect function then though. We have another S7 edge on our plan, and with settings matched identically, the other S7 edge does not do it. I have spoken to Samsung customer support and they have no clue why it is doing this. The Tmobile store doesn't seem to care. Any reset option for the keyboard or learned words, etc does not change the outcome.

Anyone else have this issue? I cannot find the same issue mentioned anywhere online.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I switched to the Google Keyboard for this and lag reasons. It doesn't do that anymore.

Posted via the Android Central App

James Muller

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
The same exact thing happens to me as well. I thought I was Ludacris searching for this just now, and aparantally, it's a thing. Can we PLEASE get an answer on this?!?!

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
The same exact thing happens to me as well. I thought I was Ludacris searching for this just now, and aparantally, it's a thing. Can we PLEASE get an answer on this?!?!

I still haven't gotten an answer either. I'm one of the few that like the Samsung keyboard. I may switch to the Google keyboard as I have experience with it using the Nexii line but it wouldn't make me very happy, haha.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I don't have that problem with the SwiftKey keyboard. I have been using SwiftKey on all my Android devices for years and on my iPad ever since Apple finally allowed third-party keyboards. The predictive text is good, especially since it can sync up to your GMail, Facebook, and text messages to learn how you write, and that syncs over all your devices with the keyboard on it. There are also lots of great skins (many for free) for the keyboard, including winter/Christmas ones that drop snowflakes, which pile up on the bottom, every time you use Swipe instead of tapping the keys to type. The keyboard was about the first thing I changed on my S7 Edge when setting it up. I didn't like the stock keyboard at all.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm not seeing this with my S7 edge, what language settings are you using, if it's US English, have you tried switching to UK English and rechecking.

datgoldmember

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This may fix it..Under settings,then language and input and Samsung keyboard

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 5438.jpg
    5438.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 109

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
If you want the Google Keyboard just download it from the play store, when its installed just open it and it will guide you through setting it up. After that you can change between them in settings Language and Input.

Galaxylauren10

May 14, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue on the Galaxy S6, and finally fixed it. When you type in a word and suggestions appear below, tap the right facing arrow next to the suggestions. An "auto replace" option will appear. Disable it and you're set!

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I haven't gotten the exclamation point autocorrect in awhile, at least since the new Verizon OTA update.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue on the Galaxy S6, and finally fixed it. When you type in a word and suggestions appear below, tap the right facing arrow next to the suggestions. An "auto replace" option will appear. Disable it and you're set!
Disable autocorrection on <whatever charcters> should be in the keyboard's settings.

mattbooty

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this also on the S6... it JUST started doing this on the marshmallow update last month. A few suggested disabling autocorrect, but won't that eliminate autocorrect on everything? I just want to disable it on these goofy exclamation point corrections when there is nothing spelled wrong.