Samsung Pay: Useful Tool or Cool Novelty?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Just watched a bunch of YouTube videos of people using Samsung Pay. Besides the Wow factor is there really any advantage to using Samsung Pay?

Everybody that I saw using it needed to hold it awkwardly next to the card reader slot for a couple of seconds for it to read their credit card data. If the transaction was over the minimum amount the user still needed to manually push the credit or debit button.

Then there is the process of taking out your phone, scanning your fingerprint, tapping the screen, holding it up to the card reader, fidgeting it around until the magnetic fields align, etc.

Then there is the whole unpleasant idea of handing your phone to the cashier or needing to reach around the register to engage the card reader.

Seems to me it would be faster and more convenient to simply pull out your credit card and swipe it. But it wouldn't be as cool as Samsung Pay!

Is there any real advantage to using Samsung Pay vs. simply swiping your card?

I am really averse to picking up that ”pen" and signing my name, especially during flu season (gross!), so there is one advantage.

Anything else?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung wouldn't be paying people up to $200 to use it if it was something that most people wanted to use

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I use it all the time. Not only do I get to avoid having to stick my card in that annoying and time consuming card reader, but I never again need to look around uncomfortably to see who might be watching me type in my pin.

Often times, I even leave my wallet in the car when going to the movies or a theme park. Total convenience.

Posted via the Android Central App

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I use it all the time. Not only do I get to avoid having to stick my card in that annoying and time consuming card reader, but I never again need to look around uncomfortably to see who might be watching me type in my pin.

Often times, I even leave my wallet in the car when going to the movies or a theme park. Total convenience.

This!!!

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
As with everything, it depends on who you are and what you like to do. My wallet and my phone are both usually in my pocket when I'm checking out somewhere, so I still reach for the plastic every single time. But I'm 46. ;) My daughter hasn't pulled out a wallet anywhere she can use her iPhone to pay, whether it be Starbucks, DD - wherever.

weirdohappy

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I haven't used it yet, but I do like the idea of it. I like the thought of being able to leave my wallet and only carry my phone. Imagine a day when the DMV finds a way to create a digital driver's license that's legal. You'd think with fingerprint verification and retina scan technology that coming down the road at some point a wallet would be obsolete.

"Suppose your phone dies, how will you pay or show ID" well suppose I leave my wallet at home. Same thing right? Except with a few minutes on a wireless charger and your "wallet" is available again. Currently you'd have to drive all the way back to where you left your actual wallet. Everything on your phone sounds a little more convenient.

Dm1120

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
It's much quicker for me to pull my phone out of my pocket, authenticate and hold it up to a reader than it is for me to dig for my wallet, pull it out, make sure I'm pulling out the right CC etc.

Also, Samsung Pay is more secure than using your regular credit card. It assigns a token in place of your regular card number so if the store's terminal gets hacked your card is safe. My wife and I use Samsung Pay whenever possible because it's so much easier.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm 55 and refuse to be one of those older people that still have to write a check or count change at the register because they won't use a debit card.

I've used it a few times in the past week. Is it the future? Remains to be seen.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I added a card to Samsung Pay. Haven't used it yet. I did have the iPhone 6 Plus and used Apple Pay a few times. With chip and pin becoming more widespread, I don't know if Samsung Pay or Apple Pay will every take off. Most people are afraid to put their CC on their phone, even though it is secure. They would rather hold the physical card in their hands. It's a novelty. I wouldn't be surprised in 5 years that neither Apple or Samsung will offer it.

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Cool novelty for me. It doesn't work in my small town and I don't go to the city to often to use it.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
If you go to a restaurant, you most likely will need to have your CC with you. Waiter/waitress comes to your table with the tab, you have to give them your CC to pay. None of them are carrying portable devices so you can use your phone to pay.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I usually pay cash at restaurants. I personally hate people disappearing with my card for 10 minutes, and I also tip with cash.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I use it all the time, but I also know where I can and where I can't. My goal is for summer to be able to leave the house with just my phone and NY driver's license in the wallet case for my phone. I can do that, but know I will be limited since it works in most, but not all places. Specifically, it doesn't work anywhere you have to hand the card to a cashier, or where the magnetic swipe is not angled (like a gas station).

But it works in 90% of places and I'm slowly making a list so that I will be able to do this by summer, knowing where I can't use it.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I use it all the time.

At the grocery store, I use my phone for the value card. And my phone to pay, makes it easier to have my phone do it all, instead of getting out 2 different cards.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say I could probably be pretty useful depending on the person's situation. Such as if I went to a football game or something like that and I wanted to use my card or if I wanted to go shopping at a bunch of malls and didn't want to keep my card on me I could just use my phone. So I wouldn't say it's going to just be instantly useful for everybody but at the same time I think certain people can maybe find good uses for it since not everybody likes to carry their cards which could be stolen or something like that and only having their phone would be better for them.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
OK, so far we have:

1. It's faster than pulling out your wallet and removing a credit card. I find this hard to believe, having viewed several videos showing people using Samsung Pay. The need to hover the phone alongside the card reader for several seconds is longer than it takes for me to pull out my card and swipe it.

2. You don't have to carry a wallet. Valid point, but you still need to carry a driver's license. Years ago I used to carry my driver's license and my bank debit card tucked inside folded over currency, a very minimal package. So I see the no wallet thing as being a convenience.

3. People can't see your PIN. I use my bank card as a credit card, I don't use my PIN, so I don't see that as an advantage.

4. Samsung Pay uses a token number instead of your actual card number, so if someone hacks the card reading machine they won't get your credit card number. Yep, that's an advantage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance