S7 Edge - 10 days in...

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I thought I's post my thoughts on the S7 Edge after 10 days of owning one - I know I'm not the first (or last) to do so, but not posted for sometime, so thought I would have a go...

This is my first ever Samsung - I was tempted last year, but the small battery put me off. My last 3 phones have been the Xperia Z3, LG G4 & Moto X Force/Droid Turbo 2. So this was a bit of a leap of faith.

Firstly, this is definitely the most premium phone I've ever used in feel. The Z3 was nice, but this just feels like a £700 phone. The first thing I did was buy a case though - the S7 Edge has 'Smashed within a week' written all over it otherwise. I'll get a tempered screen protector when they become readily available, also.

The screen is gorgeous, and the curve does give it something I extra. I've actually found the Edge panels very useful too. The only trouble I had with them was actually remembering they existed - once you do, it's funny how nice it is to just use it for the calculator, clock or whatever.

As I'm loaded up with about 100 apps, I just backed Nova up and switched to that, so haven't got much to say about TouchWiz, or whatever Sammy want to call it nowadays. Using a theme is still usueful though, as it changes the way the innards look regardless of the launcher.

I don't game much, or watch tonnes of vids, but - and this is obvious I guess - the S7E is super fast. I have a some VERY occasional lag, but it's one tiny hiccup a day or so. For balance though, my Moto X Force never lagged once in 4 months that I recall. Maybe that's the more stock Android experience coming through...

Bearing in mind I've come from the Moto X Force, the battery on the S7E has been nothing short of excellent. On the Moto, I'd unplug at 7.30am, and, on a normal work day, plug it at 11pm with between 25-30% battery and 3-3.5hrs SOT. After the first 2 days of settling in, the S7E is at about 30-40% with 4-4.5hrs. I've yet to run it down, but I think I'd get 23-24hrs with in excess of 5 hrs were I to do so. Battery is a thing for me, so really pleased they seem to have nailed it. Also, in a particularity bad service area where some of my family live, I found the X Force drained very quickly looking for a signal, whereas the S7E still drops faster than usual, but no where near as much. I was always looking out for bad signal issues and putting the XForce into Airplane mode in case it plummeted. Not so now. Similarly, the S7E copes very well with taking photo's in battery life terms. I took about 50 last weekend in around 30 mins, and it took about 4% of my battery. The XForce used to plummet by 6-7% in that time.

On the camera, incredible - now, of course this may be as much to do with the amazing S7E screen that the photos are being viewed on as much as the actual quality of the images, but I've already had a few comments on how nice some of the photos I've taken are - this hasn't really happened since the Z3 (the G4 camera was excellent, but very neutral, and we know how the eye likes punchy colours!).

I do miss on screen buttons at the bottom, and what IS this with having the recent apps & back buttons back to front?! I knew they did it, but had no idea how hard it would be getting used to it... I mean, I'll live, but really - it's so counter intuitive, it seems a little ridiculous to me.

The speaker is actually OK. I'd heard that it was awful, and tinny, but for the odd YT vid or hands free call, it's fine. It's no Xperia, granted, but most of my listening is through my headphones too and from work, so it's no big deal for me. It's better than the backwards firing G4 one, IMO, and the X Force single front facer was maybe a bit better.

This is also my first use of a finger print sensor. So far, OK - however, I found that, when registering my thumb, for example, it took maybe 8-10 presses to do so. It's fine, but I actually think it may be a little better if, like it seems other FP sensors going from YT, it took a little longer. I've just found that I can't quite get my whole thumb print covered, so there's always the odd dead-spot, so to speak. I'd say it's 80-85% accurate, but I do sometimes find myself thinking exactly how to hit the sensor before doing so.

Overall, a great phone thus far.

:D

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Last year, I got the GS6 edge 64GB Gold Platinum as soon as it was available. Loved that phone, battery was okay for the most part.
This year I got my GS7 edge Silver Platinum about a week before launch. It's been great, Samsung improved this iteration in many ways. Just hate that it comes with only 32GB.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad that you are enjoying it. I actually prefer Samsung's right back button... Easier for me to use one handed. But to each his own of course.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Just hate that it comes with only 32GB.

I do wonder why OEM's tend to limit internal storage to 32gb if they offer SD card expansion...? But then, how many people fill their phone up, even if they only have 20gb+ free after software? Not many I would imagine.

Dm1120

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I do wonder why OEM's tend to limit internal storage to 32gb if they offer SD card expansion...? But then, how many people fill their phone up, even if they only have 20gb+ free after software? Not many I would imagine.

Cheaper for them to manufacture one device with less internal memory then make multiple versions.

Posted via the Android Central App

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Cheaper for them to manufacture one device with less internal memory then make multiple versions.

True, but then you could make a 64gb one that costs more... but then, as I said, 95% won't care/know or have use for it anyway.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Glad that you are enjoying it. I actually prefer Samsung's right back button... Easier for me to use one handed. But to each his own of course.
I agree!
I actually hate the left back button on my Lenovo Tab, and the worse thing is, I can't put it on the right a la LG style.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I would be very, very happy if Samsung just made all their phones with 64GB internal storage and the micro SD card capabilities.
That, would be a great differentiator from any other manufacturer.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps the physical buttons are backwards for a left hander, but it was built with right-handers in mind I think.

Thanks for the detailed synopsis!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I do miss on screen buttons at the bottom, and what IS this with having the recent apps & back buttons back to front?! I knew they did it, but had no idea how hard it would be getting used to it... I mean, I'll live, but really - it's so counter intuitive, it seems a little ridiculous to me.

THIS!!!! I got my wife into an S7 and this is the one thing she complains about. And I agree with her. And Samsung pretty much admits as much... look at the icon. It's a U-Turn sending you back.... to the left. :)

This is also my first use of a finger print sensor. So far, OK - however, I found that, when registering my thumb, for example, it took maybe 8-10 presses to do so. It's fine, but I actually think it may be a little better if, like it seems other FP sensors going from YT, it took a little longer. I've just found that I can't quite get my whole thumb print covered, so there's always the odd dead-spot, so to speak. I'd say it's 80-85% accurate, but I do sometimes find myself thinking exactly how to hit the sensor before doing so.

To be perfectly honest, I think the FPS on the S7 is garbage. I have a 6P, and the FPS works near flawlessly. It takes only 6 taps to read a print in and it works 95+%, no matter how my finger is oriented. I registered the index on both hands once, and rarely has a misread. The S7, on the other hand, doesn't seem to work all that well for me. Registering prints took a ton of extra taps for some reason and the only way I could get it to work was to register each thumb twice; once vertical and once horizontal. And even then, it works little more than half the time. And when I do get it to work, I have to be deliberate on how I place my finger. Course, she doesn't seem to have any desire to use the FPS, so I hope this will not be a source of fury. Even the FPS on my little cheapy Honor 5X is easier to set up, faster and more accurate.

But otherwise, Samsung built a damn fine phone this go around. One that lacks that one big fatal flaw that some of the previous S models have had.

X-Nemesis

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Is it really that much more expensive for a company like Samsung to make 64GB the default in all their high end phones? Can anyone share how much it really would cost them to do this?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is it really that much more expensive for a company like Samsung to make 64GB the default in all their high end phones? Can anyone share how much it really would cost them to do this?
Well, the difference maybe be a couple of bucks between the 32 and 64... Not that big a deal. Looking at some estimates, some 50 million S6's were sold in 2015. That two dollar per unit difference becomes $100 million.

Now, I agree with you that we'd be better served with a higher option, but sometimes, the accountants call the shots.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Same here. For us longtime Galaxy users, the back button has always been on the right side so it would be unnatural for us if it were on the left.

With that said, I've been using Nexus phones at the same time as my Galaxies since 2013 and I have no problem with the button placements when switching between phones. Between the two, I prefer the back button on the right.

anon(9866643)

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Is it normal for 3rd party apps on GS7E like Facebook messenger to not turn your screen on with a notification if the phone is asleep? Only LED and sound?

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
My FPS is as accurate as my 6P on my S7E. You need to tap in different spots each time you tap...

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'll guess that variable cost difference isn't more than $20. The 64 will probably be out soon and cost a premium. $rofit

At initial launch they know it'll sell fast with the lesser spec.

My S3 came with 32g and it's almost 4 years old. Kind of disappointing in this age of rapid tech progress to see such stagnation.

Of course the iphone leads off with only 16 but how many of their customers know the difference?

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
My FPS is as accurate as my 6P on my S7E. You need to tap in different spots each time you tap...

I do, but found that it's never quite enough taps to get it all covered.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol