Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select it?

illianamia02

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select

Thank you... thank you... thank you!!!
Everytime Android rolls out a new system update, I cringe bc it usually results in a major stress fest. Today's update was no different. I couldn't do ANYTHING wo the overlay popup. Followed your instructions and my S7 is back to functioning properly.

I understand that I have to hold down 3 buttons, but do you mind explaining where the menu button is located on the Galaxy S7

toyger

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select

When you say Menu button , do you mean the physical Home button in the bottom center ?

Grymn

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

I was getting the same message... It would say something like this... "Screen Overlay detected. Go to app permissions to turn off." I tried different app permissions, but ultimately nothing was working. After a few minutes, the issue will work itself out, as it is mainly a problem with recently installed applications. This error is a result of the device not immediately asking if it is ok for the application to use certain things with in your device such as your gallery or contacts. That is all I have to offer as far as information. I hope it helps.

mrsposty

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site

OMG....You are an absolute SAVIOUR! Thank you for this....you solved my issue completely!! Rockstar! Lol

Aditya29

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site

Hi all: i have a few apps that trigger some odd "screen overlay" question and takes me to a selection page.

i don't understand what this page does and why it's doing this annoying thing.

may i ask if anyone else has experienced this please?

thanks.

Hey buddy!
Its gonna be a little long answer, buthelpful nonetheless
I bought an s7 edge last sunday of June's packaging and out of the box, it did not prompt any new updates. I got the device replaced because of popular s7 edge hardware issue i.e. home button not functioning if pressed towards the edges. Now I have July's packaged s7 edge, out of the box it prompted an update which was probably a security patch, i downloaded it. I use swipe home button, it is very very useful and gives a longer life to home button. Now i noticed that i was getting the "screen overlay" message because of that app in this s7 and not on the other s7 edge because of the new update i received. Best solution i found was disable swipe home button to give permission to other apps and then re enable it. It's strange why such a heavily reliable app has not found its way through the security patch. Anyway, if others get a solution other than this, i would be pleased to hear it :)

dark5un

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

I only started to get this issue after the last July Update. I use an app called Darker to dim the screen with an overlay but never had problems till now. Even after uninstalling it & restarting the phone, i still keep getting it and its driving me up the wall since any new application that needs any permissions such as location & contact access keeps giving me the screen overlay error and then asking me to use the system prompt to disable the permissions.

Even tried disabling some apps including FB (don't have FB messenger) and still the error comes.

Since i have over 300 apps and i test out a lot, i don't want to clear the phone cache and deal with a possible loss of all my app data (have had that happen to me a long time ago when using custom roms).

Any other solution or way to escalate this to Samsung since im 99% sure the last security update caused it and i don't mind rolling back to the June update if it means getting out of this rut!

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

I had to uninstall File Manager for the screen overlay errors to stop.

dark5un

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

What was the file manager that you uninstalled? (default one can only be disabled if not mistaken)

I had to uninstall File Manager for the screen overlay errors to stop.

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

What was the file manager that you uninstalled? (default one can only be disabled if not mistaken)

File Manager by Cheetah Mobile. From what I was reading on another forum, Cheetah Mobile apps are causing issues.

Shire9990

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site

I just fixed your exact problem on the exact same phone....step#1-first off do you have the clean master app or anything similar installed on your phone? If so, delete it. That app causes problems with the s7 because we already have a built in sweeper and security. Step#2- Once you've done that, power down your phone. While your phone is powered down, hold the volume up AND the menu buttons at the same time. While your holding both buttons, press and hold the power on button. (Now you should be holding 3 keys, volume up, menu, and power at same time. But remember, the volume up and menu should be pressed and held first, before pressing the power on button with them) as you do this, wait until you see either your phone carriers name/symbol or any display appear on screen that's showing your phone is being powered on. Once you see the display, let go of the power butyon, but keep the up volume and menu keys pressed, until it brings you to a screen that shows a couple options. Once your screen displays this, u may let go of all the keys you were holding....navigate down the options available with the volume down key and select on the option that says something about cache. (I don't remember all the other words next to this option, but I know it's the only option with cache in it, so bare with me. Lol) select that using the power key. A display with options yes or no will appear. Select yes. After this it should bring you back to the first screen with all the other options. Now select the first choice at the top that says reboot.( don't worry, your data will not be lost). Then your problem should be fixed. Just go to the appsame that were giving up problems and give it permissions, aso you was trying to do before, but the screen overlay BS kept popping up, it won't anymore.

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.

Was scouring the net for help with this problem. Only found it 20min ago nd was bugging me enough. Did this nd now it's back to normal. So registered just to say how thankful I am haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

asiansilk

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site

Thank you so much for posting this... I have been going crazy with this stupid pop up blocking every app I have until now. Your advice is the only thing that has actually worked!!

asiansilk

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site

Thank you for posting a resolution that actually works!!!

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

Great thread with the solution to an infuriating issue. Thank you so much. I was having success temporarily disabling Cheetah's file manager but got the pop up again today and said "@! this and uninstalled it completely.

Erica Jenkins

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

It would be a tremendous help if someone would define this a bit better than simply "screen overlay".

What does it look like? What does it say? What happens when you tap on it?

I am having the same problem but anyone who has this problem can't send a screen shot beacause this prohibits them from doing so

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Great thread with the solution to an infuriating issue. Thank you so much. I was having success temporarily disabling Cheetah's file manager but got the pop up again today and said "@! this and uninstalled it completely.
Because no one is supposed to actually install anything made by Cheetah. I don't even understand why that crap is so popular when everything they make is bad for the phone.

Opo Sai

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

True genius! This works. Fantastic job buddy.

I just fixed your exact problem on the exact same phone....step#1-first off do you have the clean master app or anything similar installed on your phone? If so, delete it. That app causes problems with the s7 because we already have a built in sweeper and security. Step#2- Once you've done that, power down your phone. While your phone is powered down, hold the volume up AND the menu buttons at the same time. While your holding both buttons, press and hold the power on button. (Now you should be holding 3 keys, volume up, menu, and power at same time. But remember, the volume up and menu should be pressed and held first, before pressing the power on button with them) as you do this, wait until you see either your phone carriers name/symbol or any display appear on screen that's showing your phone is being powered on. Once you see the display, let go of the power butyon, but keep the up volume and menu keys pressed, until it brings you to a screen that shows a couple options. Once your screen displays this, u may let go of all the keys you were holding....navigate down the options available with the volume down key and select on the option that says something about cache. (I don't remember all the other words next to this option, but I know it's the only option with cache in it, so bare with me. Lol) select that using the power key. A display with options yes or no will appear. Select yes. After this it should bring you back to the first screen with all the other options. Now select the first choice at the top that says reboot.( don't worry, your data will not be lost). Then your problem should be fixed. Just go to the appsame that were giving up problems and give it permissions, aso you was trying to do before, but the screen overlay BS kept popping up, it won't anymore.

BTW, I was looking thru all these forums and Google yesterday for a solution. It was driving me crazy. A t-mobile tech from Texas named Lewis is the one who helped me with my problem, about an hour ago. I never posted in these forums, but I had to make an account to let anyone else know, who has tried all other options and nothing works who ends up here. Because it was driving me crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.

Rcgamer

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site

Can some one plz help me i dont have any filter or developer option on and it still says an overlay error screen plz help me

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

Can some one plz help me i dont have any filter or developer option on and it still says an overlay error screen plz help me

Do you have File Manager by Cheetah or any "cleaning apps" installed? If so you need to delete that first then perform the reset described here. That has fixed the problem for many of us with no filter or developer things coming into play at all.

Ared2die4

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site

Bless you sir a thousand times Bless you!!!!!! I have a V10 and I was seconds from,whipping this phone into the Everglades. I didn't have to do all the Button pushing stuff. All I did was. DELETE THE CLEAN-MASTER APP!!

Problem gone!

I too dread DREAD any updates because it cause days [language redacted by mod] to fix everything!!!

Thank so much to you and Mr. Tech from Texas

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I just fixed your exact problem .....

Because it was driving me crazy! So I hope this helps. Peace.

This worked like a charm... A million ty's!

BTC

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2