Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select it?

ndbee

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select

i made an account just to say fredo's thing worked. ive been looking on forums for HOURS thank goodness. what an annoying thing

yevmeister

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Re: Odd "screen overlay" pop up shows up often with some apps, what is it and how to properly select

Hi Terry, What feature are you referring to?

I worked out the issue. not sure if this is what Terry was referring to but I have a Note 4 and I disabled the side key panel option. This did the trick.

Last edited:

ChefRichie1980

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi all: i have a few apps that trigger some odd "screen overlay" question and takes me to a selection page.

i don't understand what this page does and why it's doing this annoying thing.

may i ask if anyone else has experienced this please?

thanks.

Hi to ancer your question i have been experincing same issues with my samsung galaxy s7 with screen overlays popups i dont know how to fix the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

farmsin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site

Thank you so much this worked for me:):)

saybaba1

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Why is "screen overlay" keeps poping up

Can somebody please tell me why this screen overlay keeps coming up whenever i tried to launch an already installed application on phone??? Thereby preventing me from using such app, its been coming up now over and over. Please i need help to get rid of it. Thanks

NorrisNT

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

After much frustration on my Galaxy S7 and searching everywhere... I figured it out. This was MY fix, at least. I went into "Display" settings, and unchecked "Keep screen turned off" and it was fine. So just another thing to try out for anyone who ends up here.

Thank you so much this was my fix. I enabled always on in the app I was trying to allow permissions for. 'AutoMate'

rthomas529

May 3, 2013
Visit site

I have the Galaxy S7 and I see the popup as well. Its under settings and application manager. In the upper right corner you will see a "MORE" option. Select that and you will see Draw over other apps. This is the overlay that you are getting prompts from. Once you select it, you will see the option to Enable it or disable it. From here you can unselect it or, go to each app you are getting prompts for and see if it's enabled. If it's something you don't want to overlay other apps, simply disable it. If you don't like the overlay feature on any apps, you can select "disable" at the top of the list. Hope this helps.

View attachment 227413

Clearly you don't understand the issue. Android marshmellow constantly want draw over enabled for apps that don't have this ability. You will see them greyed out in you draw permissions. Then instead of you being allowed to complete the action in another way it will constantly request to enable draw over. Gmail is a perfect example. In chrome if you try to reply to an add on Craigslist it will attempt to use draw over which is not allowed with chrome.

popologuy

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! Your solution finally worked on my Note 4! At one point, I couldn't even open the Gallery app!

soulenigma

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

So for those who may not understand what screen overlay is, it the ability for certain apps to appear over another. Take for instance lux quick menu to change brightness. Some apps do not work properly with this especially when requesting permissions. Unfortunately android will not grant permission changes with screen overlay enabled. Unfortunately in the same return some apps like lux need it enabled to operate. This has been going on since marshmallow. So for now we are either forced to disable it to grant the permission then re-enable it or find alternative apps. I for one find it frustrating but just re-enable it afterwards. This is because it will not pop back up after that app has been granted the requested permission.

S7 Marty

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site

I have the Galaxy S7 and I see the popup as well. Its under settings and application manager. In the upper right corner you will see a "MORE" option. Select that and you will see Draw over other apps. This is the overlay that you are getting prompts from. Once you select it, you will see the option to Enable it or disable it. From here you can unselect it or, go to each app you are getting prompts for and see if it's enabled. If it's something you don't want to overlay other apps, simply disable it. If you don't like the overlay feature on any apps, you can select "disable" at the top of the list. Hope this helps.

View attachment 227413

The app I'm currently having trouble with, tumblr, is not even on the list of apps in "permissions" and none of the other options for resolution are working

S7 Marty

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site

This resolution absolutely worked - thank you! I did not understand what Screen Overlay meant, so I never considered Twilight could be the problem. All I had to do was pulp down my notifications panel, hit "pause" in Twilight, and finish what I was trying to do. Afterwards, I went back to Twilight and hit "resume". Genius. Thanks again!

edcrstv123

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi all: i have a few apps that trigger some odd "screen overlay" question and takes me to a selection page.

thanks.

It seems that there's no answer to resolve this problem. I have the same stupid "screen overlay" issue and I'm ready to scream. I can't download pictures to my gallery, use any weather apps., gps my location and a host of other problems. I'm sick to death with my LG G4. I contacted LG by phone and the support people didn't even know what I was talking about as well as being rude as hell. I'm ready to throw this piece of crap against a brick wall!!!

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

That drove me absolutely nuts! It finally worked itself out and has stopped. I have Twilight installed (Lux like App) so maybe that was causing it but I never had to disable it.
Twilight caused the screen overlay issue on my gs7e too. Once I deleted it, problem solved.

Rocket2522

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

Thank god for you! This was the most annoying thing i have had to deal with on my edge

Galo23

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site

Thank you very much man.
I've just bought my S7 and this fixed my problem, disabling toolbox and doing the cache thing.

tsahig

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site

thanks.

The same thing happened to me as well.
I found a good and easy solution for this issue - turn off the device, when turning off long press on the power off button to activate the Safe mode restart.
When restating in Safe mode , open the apps from the settings and per app change the permitions rights as needed.
By assigning the appropriate rights to the problematic apps, the overlay issue will not repeat.
Good luck!

Coolsubzerous

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site

Worked like a charm only diff was mine was off n i had to turn it on and all is working now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18