Does Samsung phones slows down over time?

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Considering S7 Edge for now, but read that Samsung phones usually slows down after a few months. Is this ture? And could it be handled by rebooting the phone weekly?

And, I also read that Samsung phones don't update well... either the carrier 's fault or Samsung 's fault, is this true and how does that affect your experience?

Thanks!

Last edited:

brava27

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Considering S7 Edge for now, but read that Samsung phones usually slows down after a few months. Is this ture? And could it be handled by rebooting the phone weekly?

And, I also read that Samsung phones don't update well... either the carrier 's fault or Samsung 's fault, is there true and how does that affect your experience?

Thanks!
Come on man. Androids are not PC's

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Every phone that I have used slows down over time. This includes iPhones. Restart will help, but sometimes a factory data reset is needed

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Updates depend on carrier. Sprint has updated my s6 edge to Marshmallow BEFORE the official release of the s7. That hardly ever happens. All maintainance updates are usually waiting for me before I know about them. I usually find out through Android Central first. Now Verizon, I hear the updates from them take forever.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jason Fournier1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Updates depend on carrier. Sprint has updated my s6 edge to Marshmallow BEFORE the official release of the s7. That hardly ever happens. All maintainance updates are usually waiting for me before I know about them. I usually find out through Android Central first. Now Verizon, I hear the updates from them take forever.

The Android phones definitely slow down after about 9 months. However, it is easy to fix. Backup and then do a factory reset and restore. It behaves just like new. I don't think this is a Samsung problem.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
All the slow down overtime it's mostly caused by all the apps and OS cache files that normal users are not aware of them and don't know how to clear. I've seen some phones with basically less than 50mb of available space and over 5gb of Apps cache used. Once I clear that and the system cache, it goes back to normal, hence the reason it works as new when it gets a factory reset.

Google and OEM in general should find a way to do this maintenance as transparent and easy as possible, and yes, right now it's not ideal or optimal.

My phone, and believe me they have been a lot in the past 5 years, have always worked great for me, even after 1.5 to 2 years of daily usage.

Last edited:

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Computers don't slow down over time. We just gradually ask them to do more and more and then our perception is they have slowed down because what we see is less being done. The reality is the opposite.

As the previous poster mentioned as well some people fail up the flash storage which will kill performance as well. Flash needs free space so it can adequately perform. A factory reset does that by whipping all user data and recovering all that space.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Computers don't slow down over time. We just gradually ask them to do more and more and then our perception is they have slowed down because what we see is less being done. The reality is the opposite.

As the previous poster mentioned as well some people fail up the flash storage which will kill performance as well. Flash needs free space so it can adequately perform. A factory reset does that by whipping all user data and recovering all that space.

The computer itself hardware wise might not slow down, but the operating system can. Various things can build up, caches can become full, scratch space on hard drives can fill up, Internet browsers and other apps can become corrupted and start slowing things down....lots of things can happen to impair performance over time.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Not clearing the cache and cache partition along with having useless files on the phone slows it doen, but no. Not the new ones with UFS 2.0 storage speed and above along with the new kryo cpu and rgbs of ram. My note 5 is running just as fast as my S7E

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
it wouldnt surprise me if phones are programmed to slow down over time, in order for you to buy a new one.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

And, I also read that Samsung phones don't update well... either the carrier 's fault or Samsung 's fault, is this true and how does that affect your experience?

Thanks!

In my experience (I've owned Galaxy S2, Note 3, Note 4, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S6 Edge), the phone doesn't get slower over time by itself. But rogue and/or buggy apps can slow down the phone and make it glitchy.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The computer itself hardware wise might not slow down, but the operating system can. Various things can build up, caches can become full, scratch space on hard drives can fill up, Internet browsers and other apps can become corrupted and start slowing things down....lots of things can happen to impair performance over time.

But this just solidifies what I said. By the way everything you listed isn't the operating system. What would apply to the operating system would be an upgrade from one OS to the other or major security updates like service packs. It is very possible with software updates for software to ask the machine to do more in the background which slows it down.

As far as the other things you said. we can take a brief look at those. Various things filling up. Well that does make sense but that isn't anything slowing down. That is simply it is harder to find empty space. It is much easier to find free space if you had 90% free instead of 10% free. This isn't a computer issue but overall storage isue. If you buy 10 storage bins at your house and have stuff to put in them if they are 90% full it would likely take you longer to find free space for your items then it would be if they were only 10% full and you could just drop your stuff in them.

Caches on desktop OS's don't fill up generally especially if they are used as volatile storage. They generally just use space on the hard drive.

Internet browser and app corruption is based on usage and generally don't happen without the users loading uneeded applictions that create extra work for the system to do. The browser isn't slower, it is that extra app bar you loaded with some share ware and installed becuase you weren't paying attention.

I am not saying a percieved slow down isn't happening. I am just saying no matter how you look at it, it is extra work the computer is being asked to do, and normally induced by us as users. Ontop of that generally speaking allot of stuff that is creating that extra work and percieved slowdown would likely be reloaded if the device/computer is reloaded.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
As far as Samsung phone not taking updates well. I think anytime a device is asked to update the core OS there is high chance of issues. Even my move from my note 3 to the s7 edge was a little wonky because of a few apps that moved over with smart switch that aren't compatiable. The best practice is probably to go ahead and try to update the phone OTA and if wonkyness and issues occur to first attempt a Cache wipe. If the wonkyness still occurs then do a factory reset.

Also thinking about my previous posts, sometimes the performance is impacted as well by newer os updates as additional work is placed on the device to handle all the new functions the OS does. Just keep that in mind when updating. Normally it isn't significant, but it can be noticeable. I would expect this to happen though on any device.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
But this just solidifies what I said. By the way everything you listed isn't the operating system. What would apply to the operating system would be an upgrade from one OS to the other or major security updates like service packs. It is very possible with software updates for software to ask the machine to do more in the background which slows it down.

As far as the other things you said. we can take a brief look at those. Various things filling up. Well that does make sense but that isn't anything slowing down. That is simply it is harder to find empty space. It is much easier to find free space if you had 90% free instead of 10% free. This isn't a computer issue but overall storage isue. If you buy 10 storage bins at your house and have stuff to put in them if they are 90% full it would likely take you longer to find free space for your items then it would be if they were only 10% full and you could just drop your stuff in them.

Caches on desktop OS's don't fill up generally especially if they are used as volatile storage. They generally just use space on the hard drive.

Internet browser and app corruption is based on usage and generally don't happen without the users loading uneeded applictions that create extra work for the system to do. The browser isn't slower, it is that extra app bar you loaded with some share ware and installed becuase you weren't paying attention.

I am not saying a percieved slow down isn't happening. I am just saying no matter how you look at it, it is extra work the computer is being asked to do, and normally induced by us as users. Ontop of that generally speaking allot of stuff that is creating that extra work and percieved slowdown would likely be reloaded if the device/computer is reloaded.

That's my point. As a user uses a computer and fills things up things become slower for a variety of reasons. The only way to keep a computer running as fast as the day you bought it would be to never use it or constantly maintain and restore things every now and then. Internet browsers are especially bad at bogging things down. And their configuration files can and do become corrupted over time. They are the biggest PITA with computers and I wish someone would fix this issue. It would be nice if things really would stay as fast as the day you got them with little to no user intervention, but that is not the case. Things get wonky.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if things really would stay as fast as the day you got them with little to no user intervention, but that is not the case. Things get wonky.

This is exactly the problem. User intervention is what caused the problem. It isn't right to say a computer is slow when they use loaded spyware or addware with some free software they downloaded. I guess we are just advocating from different perspectives. I believe that users should take a little time and understand the impact of what they are loading and think before doing so. I don't give people a pass simply because they don't choose to pay attention to what they are doing when they load that free software.

On a side note what configuration file corruption have you really had. Is that cookies you are talking about. Then that isn't the browser, but the websites again that you are using.

We are way off topic. The basic idea is the same, but not directly applicable. The things that will slow down a phone are 1. Storage gets full or has very little free space 2. allot of applications in the background( basically more work to be done so less cpu for other processes on the fly) 3. OS update that add background functions that needs more cpu to run. So basically the same idea i said before. It probably would appear to be a little slower after a update or a year or two if you fill the disk, but otherwise no it won't.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
All of my Samsung phones have handled updates with no issues. As far as the phones slowing down, that depends on how many apps and what apps you install.

Posted via Android Central App

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly the problem. User intervention is what caused the problem. It isn't right to say a computer is slow when they use loaded spyware or addware with some free software they downloaded. I guess we are just advocating from different perspectives. I believe that users should take a little time and understand the impact of what they are loading and think before doing so. I don't give people a pass simply because they don't choose to pay attention to what they are doing when they load that free software.

On a side note what configuration file corruption have you really had. Is that cookies you are talking about. Then that isn't the browser, but the websites again that you are using.

We are way off topic. The basic idea is the same, but not directly applicable. The things that will slow down a phone are 1. Storage gets full or has very little free space 2. allot of applications in the background( basically more work to be done so less cpu for other processes on the fly) 3. OS update that add background functions that needs more cpu to run. So basically the same idea i said before. It probably would appear to be a little slower after a update or a year or two if you fill the disk, but otherwise no it won't.

No not cookies. If that were the case, clearing cookies would clear the problem. In reading your post, it sounds like you want to blame users for actually using their computer. It's not a user's fault if some program or website loads spyware. Hence the term spy. It doesn't announce itself and say "hey, I'm going to put some stuff that you don't want and that will bog down your computer". Sure you can be careful where you go, but how many non-technical people understand that? And then there are software upgrades that can introduce bugs and slowness into things too. For instance my original iPad ran fine until Apple decided to push out an update that frankly exceeded the capability of the machine. It never did run right after that. And the problem with these updates is that you cannot roll back to any old version you want. If only you could.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't blame users for wanting to use their computers. That is fine, but they need to understand the impact of their actions. Users have put there head in the sand for far to long when it comes to security. Then someone saying hey it is just the computer slowing down instead of explaining the cause of the problems doesn't help anyone. With all of the stuff going on with computers we as users have to take an active role in privacy and security and managing our PC's and no one should advocate that we shouldn't. It isn't to much to ask that users only use reputable sources for software and then when installing software to actually read what they are doing instead of just clicking OK over and over. Social engineers depend on that behavior to do whatever they want with our systems. Users are a large part of that issue.

I know OS changes and software updates can make more work for the computer, but the inability to revert back is actually isolated to Apple. If you want a older version of android on a device for some reason you can and most other OS's have the ability to revert back fixes. It may not be a completely easy process, but it can be done.

The funny part is neither of us are saying this doesn't happen. It is just why and should it be acceptable.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Pixel C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol