Smart Unlock by location not working! Just started this afternoon.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
you know how you can tell it to lock the phone, say via fingerprints, but can enter a location, for example your office or your home, where it can STAY unlocked?

it worked really well until this afternoon. now, whenever i wake up the phone, it still requires me to use fingerprint unlocking. that's a hassle when you're home!

i wonder what happened? odd!

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Because I live on a large property, I've had to add more location fixes to my home "smart stay"depending where I am on the property. I don't know your situation but you might go back into the setting and check the location and you may have to add another one or not? Just a thought?

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Because I live on a large property, I've had to add more location fixes to my home "smart stay"depending where I am on the property. I don't know your situation but you might go back into the setting and check the location and you may have to add another one or not? Just a thought?

thanks for the idea.

i thought about that and i indeed did add addresses next to mine just to be sure that the gps or cell towers isn't barely missing my address by one number or so.

well, to no avail. i added TWO addresses to mine, including the one that the gps is telling the phone where i'm at, which is really next door but not my specific address, well, close enough, but even adding the gps stated address, i.e. "add this place to trust places", i am still having to use fingerprint to unlock.

it's as though the trust places thing isn't working anymore!

any other thoughts, please?

thanks.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
It has a default that after 4 hours of inactivity, it will require your fingerprint.

thanks for this comment/idea, but it wasn't after 4 hours of inactivity - it's after any amount of time, even after seconds of inactivity or minutes. ugh. no idea why! how odd.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
an alternate way of using Smart Lock would be to "add a device", but the types of devices one may add are limited to ONLY bluetooth or NFC, i.e. no wifi!!! how odd. one would think that if one were within one's home wifi range, we'd want the Smart Lock to NOT lock, right?

well, i added my desktop PC's bluetooth to the trusted device list and enabled that option. voila, now it stays unlocked when i'm within the bluetooth range of my desktop pc. so far so good. the issue now is: when i go to bed at night, i turn off my desktop pc, so that means whenever i grab my phone at night, i'd have to use fingerprint to unlock it. that doesn't make sense either as i'm within my own home!

still, i'd rather that the original method, i.e. using GPS to sense my location, is a better option but for some odd reason, it stopped working since yesterday afternoon. bummer.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Even worse now: the added device worked for around 1/2 a day. now, today, merely Day #2, it also isn't working properly.

this is very odd: why would Smart Lock work so well up until 2 days ago and all of a sudden, it stopped working with BOTH location sensing as well as device sensing?

btw, TMobile S7 Edge here, in case the provider's version matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463