Help me decide: S7 Edge or V10

tribbleorlfl

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
So, my beloved G3 has finally given up the goat. The SIM/SD reader is toast and both repair places I consulted indicated they can't swap out the reader, the whole motherboard has to be replaced. Obviously this is cost prohibitive for a 2 year old phone, so I'm just going to get a new phone.

I was thinking about the G5, but the first-day QC issues have just turned me off. So, I've settled on the V10 and the S7 Edge. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on which way I should go. Anecdotes on call quality, battery life, performance, that sort of thing.

I really like LG's products, and between my G3 and G Pad, am used to their software. Love the camera and laser AF. V10 seems to be very rugged. However, many of the reviews of the V10 have highlighted the secondary display as not as useful as the edge's. In addition, it appears as the SIM/SD slot is the same as the G3's...so I'm afraid to be in the same boat in 2 years.

On the other hand, many reviews highlight the S7 Edge as being one of the best smartphones ever made. It's capabilities seem to beat out the V10 (being a newer flagship phone). However, I've read while the s7's camera shines in low light situations, there are concerns with other situations. And I've also read about Samsung's bloatware and how the ui will slow over time.

I appreciate the advice (also posted in the V10 forum).

one0one951

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I have both on Verizon, going to be selling the V10. I waited to get Marshmallow on the V10 to make my final choice so it would be fair. The S7 feels a little faster, smoother and more "polished" in the way things are done on it. I love Samsung pay as opposed to Android pay, and the Gear VR is more fun than I imagined it being. I will however miss the larger internal memory of the V10 and the much more rugged build (I keep my phones naked). The V10 also sounds better through wired headphones, but I use Bluetooth exclusively now. On that note, although I bought a wireless charging back that performs flawlessly with the V10, the S7 charges faster. They are very close in my overall rating scale but once I started using Samsung pay and was wowed by how beautiful this screen is with a dark theme on it... I made my choice. A very well cared for V10 will be on the market soon.

Posted via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't think there is a "right" answer here. There's really no such thing as the "best" phone. Only "best" for your needs and desires and priorities. Or mine, which may be different than yours.

Each phone has it's advantages and disadvantages. Need (or want) water and dust resistance? S7. Is audio quality through headphones really important? V10. Does the idea of always on notifications really rock your world? The S7s is pretty limited, so the V10 is better. Do you always use a case? If not, the V10 is far less slippery and somewhat more rugged. Are you going to use it in bright sunlight a lot? S7, all the way. I could go on for a long time. How much does style matter? It's hard to beat the S7, especially the Edge, at least until you get fingerprints all over it.

My suggestion: Make a list of what is important to YOU in a phone. Then make a list of what you really liked, and really disliked, in your last few phones. Then go reread the reviews of both the G7 and the V10, and check off things on your lists as you go. You should be able to figure out which one best meets your desires pretty quickly.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
You can't really go wrong with either one. I just switched from the V10. It's an excellent device, just a little bit too large for me to use one handed. Here's my 2 cents on my experience using both:

Display - Both have great displays and can be seen well in sunlight. The GS7 seemed tiny after the V10, and it felt even smaller than my G4 even though it's the same screen size. Both are more than adequate for watching movies and TV.

Camera - If you use auto most of the time then I would give this to the GS7, if you are into manual, then the V10 hands down, especially for video.

Battery - While the V10 has a removable battery, the GS7 runs circles around it. I averaged 6-8 hours before swapping or charging. GS7 I get 12-14 hours. I always have WiFi and location on.

Performance - I'm not much of a gamer, but I experienced no lag or redraw on either device.

Speakers - Both are meh

Headphone - Pair the V10 with a nice set of wired and you have an awesome media device because of the built in DAC. GS7 is average

Size - The V10 is a large hefty phone. If you have big hands or are used to 2 handed operation it's not a problem. For me, the GS7 is easier to use with one hand.

Both can support up to 200GB SD card so that's a tie

I really like both of these phones. If you are into media creation and video, or are an audiophile, I'd go for the V10. If that's not your thing or you want a smaller device, then the GS7E does just about everything well.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Others above have covered this very well. I can only add that I had the V10 and while a great device for me the S7 edge wins hands down. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

floss776

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Go with the s7 edge. Both are great, v10 probably my second favorite phone. but the s7 edge is without a doubt the best phone I've ever had. I've had almost every flagship the last year or 2, and it's hands down the best. Screen, camera, speed, even the edge screen is useful to me now.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I got rid of my v10. I couldn't deal with the battery. It was just awful averaging around 2.5 to 3 hours of screen time. The s7 edge gets me in the 6 to 7 hour range. The edge just seems so much more polished as a whole. I did like the camera and video software on the v10 along with the build but the edge is so small for the screen size. It feels great in the hand. Battery life seems to always be the deciding factor for me and the v10 was a no go in that department.

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I had both. Too many issues with the v10, major problems with download from play store!. The phone would go dark for no reason!. ..I just picked up the s7 Edge and hands down better phone for me.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally would go with the edge. I think the edge screen is more useful than the secondary screen on the V10. The overall size of the edge is more manageable than the V10. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision!

Ogre840

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Another former V10 owner here, got rid of mine after a very small drop dented not only my battery but the back of the screen causing a dark spot with bright right (less than a 2 foot drop out of my hoody pocket, off the door sill of my car, then onto pavement) as well as a cracked camera lens.

If it hadn't had such a short and rough life, I may have kept it, but now that I've switched I'm really glad I did. There were some minor annoyances with the V10, mostly the auto-brightness either going 100% or 0%, and 90% not that much different (to my eyes) from 0%.

The apps that I run the most also seem faster on the S7 than the V10, not by much but it's noticeable.

The V10 was also nicer to hold, in the way that I wasn't worried all the time that it would slip out of my hand while holding it, but trying to reach across the screen one handed was a pain in the ***. With the S7 it's still a pain in the ***, but because I'm more afraid of dropping it, and also hitting random links/buttons/doodads on the screen or the back/app switcher buttons (which are backwards from LG's layout which I still can't get used to).

They both have AOD, which I've disabled on my S7, and never really found all that useful on the V10. A few times it was cool/fun to use it on the V10, but usually when I was listening to music and trying to use the music controls, the second screen would switch back to default "home" and I'd have to spend my time swiping back to music controls when it would have been easier to unlock the phone and hit next instead.

I also liked the fingerprint reader on the V10 better, it was easier to get a reading and unlock than the S7, I'm about to take multiple scans of the fingers I use to unlock in hopes that it will finally recognize the spot on my thumb I use every single time, the first or second time and not the 5th after prompting me to just use my PIN (I didn't set up my fingerprints to go back to PIN!)

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Without reading any of these posts I'm just going to mention a few things. I have had both and I absolutely HATED the v10. On paper it's an awesome device but the battery life especially with a secondary display is abysmal. Maybe 2.5 hours of screen on time maybe less. Not great standby time either I experienced 6-8% drain an hour with it sitting on a desk. I had two units too. Tried everything. The fingerprint scanner is dumb too. If your hands aren't touching the metal rails, the fingerprint scanner doesn't work. Aka if you have a case on your phone forget about using the fingerprint scanner. I wanted to love that phone but I was so glad the day I got rid of it. I have the s7 edge now and the only thing I really truly hate about it is that I can't get a screen protector that will play nice with the case I have on it. The case always tries to rip it off and it bubbles. That's about it. The battery life is great and it loses maybe 1or2% per hour as it should with Android doze

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Good choice. Ive got both. My V 10 is now serving as my alarm clock on my nightstand. It was a nice phone, but its shear bulk, not so great screen, and buttons on the back just didn't do it for me. And battery life on a phone that big was awful.

Posted via Android Central App

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I had the G3 from launch till just a few weeks ago. I would say overall the G3 was far and away my favorite phone so far. I went with the S7 edge instead of LG and so far have no complaints whatsoever. The S7 edge is a killer phone. In my opinion you can't go wrong getting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674