Sold my Nexus 6P, but I was very tempted to keep both

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I switched from the Nexus 6P to the S7 Edge. Ultimately, I prefer the S7 Edge, but I still love the Nexus. It is so damn quick. Anyway, for a short period I kept both, playing around a bit with Android N. But I decided I could still get $400 or so for the Nexus, which I got for $500 a few months ago, so worth selling/need the money.

Overall I can see why journalists compare the two. The both have very strong points going for them.

Posted via the Android Central App

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Only reason I can see going with a nexus over the edge is if you absolutely must have stock and plan to keep the phone long enough to get version updates.

Other than that the edge just has far too may advantages over the nexus. 820, SD, IP68, Wireless Charge, camera (yes and no), design and former factor smoke the 6p, smaller footprint, better battery.

Did I miss anything else, throw Google keyboard, Google now and the android 6.0 theme on and you are mostly there from a visual standpoint.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Only reason I can see going with a nexus over the edge is if you absolutely must have stock and plan to keep the phone long enough to get version updates.

Other than that the edge just has far too may advantages over the nexus. 820, SD, IP68, Wireless Charge, camera (yes and no), design and former factor smoke the 6p, smaller footprint, better battery.

Did I miss anything else, throw Google keyboard, Google now and the android 6.0 theme on and you are mostly there from a visual standpoint.

Google gets the updates 1/2 a year ahead of Samsung, so you just need to keep a phone for 6 months and then the 6p will be on Android N while the S7 Edge waits for 3/2017 to get Android N.

The 6p also has better worldwide LTE band support.

But the S7 Edge has a better display too, it can boost up to 800 nits or so making it useable in daylight sun, while the 6p has a very dim display, can not do an overboots over 350 nits.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
There are pros and cons on both sides but they are both excellent phones and I honestly believe you can't go wrong with either one. We're lucky we have options like these.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm still hoarding my 6P. I can't bare to get rid of it. I should before it depreciates much more.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The problem with my S7 EDGE is that it's already two months behind in terms of updates. Got neither the February not the March security update from Swisscom. Would have bought unbranded, but Swisscom doesn't support WiFi calling and VoLTE on unbranded phones :-/

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Personally I don't keep my phones long enough to worry about the next software update. So for me if I'm happy with what version the phone currently has I'm fine. I will end up purchasing a new phone anyway down the road. 😀

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
The problem with my S7 EDGE is that it's already two months behind in terms of updates. Got neither the February not the March security update from Swisscom. Would have bought unbranded, but Swisscom doesn't support WiFi calling and VoLTE on unbranded phones :-/

The timing here was good. I just got the update to April security patch last night. This is on T-Mobile in the US.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have both. I just fired up the 6P after 2 weeks using the S7 Edge. Ready to go back to my edge. Selling the 6P

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't keep my phones long enough to worry about the next software update. So for me if I'm happy with what version the phone currently has I'm fine. I will end up purchasing a new phone anyway down the road. 😀

Exactly. Who needs updates. Just buy the newest phone. At least it always works for me.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Hope your kidding lmao. Who buys an 800 dollar phone to only spend another 800 dollars in a few more months. Samsung is horrible with updates andbpurely only cares about selling phones

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Hope your kidding lmao. Who buys an 800 dollar phone to only spend another 800 dollars in a few more months. Samsung is horrible with updates andbpurely only cares about selling phones

Me. I buy many phones every year. Normally every new flagship. I sell the old one and buy the new one.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

People who want the latest and the greatest that's who :) I know a guy who spends a thousand dollars every year on softball bats. My sister does the same with tennis racquets. So you can't tell someone how to spend their money. Do you really need a 77,000 Lexus when you can buy a 18,000 Honda Civic. To each his/her own.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I bought my Nexus 6P for $500, and sold it for $420 after 4 months. I also got the BOGO on the S7 Edge, with 2 years of Netflix, two Gear VRs, which I just sold for $120 total (I already had one), etc. So I made out pretty well.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I wish I could sell my 6P locally, but I live in such a rural area that people don't get the gravity of a decent phone.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I wish I could sell my 6P locally, but I live in such a rural area that people don't get the gravity of a decent phone.

I sold mine on swappa.com. It's where I go to sell and sometimes buy phones. Great site for doing that.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I sold mine on swappa.com. It's where I go to sell and sometimes buy phones. Great site for doing that.

I know. It's just all the fees I hate. I'd rather show up in a well lit area and hand off the glory.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I know. It's just all the fees I hate. I'd rather show up in a well lit area and hand off the glory.

Swappa charges $10 and Paypal charges 3%, it's about $40 at most in fees and $10 in shipping. You are out $30-50 for every transaction so it's not bad at all.

jrasero23

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Even thought I just got my Nexus 6P in January for $500 the aura of the Galaxy S7 Edge was too strong to stay away from. In the end sold the 6P for $350 and put that towards the extremely expensive $795 S7 Edge.

The 6P was a good phone, but the thing that drove me crazy was the size. I wasn't excited about wielding the large 6P before I got it but got but preferred it over the 5X because of the spec and metal build boost. I just never could get a hang on the large size of the 6P which even towers over the cumbersome iPhone 6s Plus. Another thing that really disappointed me about the Nexus was the throttling with the 810 processor. My unit came with a dent by the plastic panel and over spray by the visor and the black metal bezel by the screen accumulated three visible dents even with a case on.

I love the S7 Edge, plain and simple. A lot easier to hold, curved screen gives an infinity display effect, SD support, water resistant, wireless charging, dual screen apps, slighter better display, better battery life, better camera IMO, and while the Samsung features are hit or miss I enjoy the collection you get with the phone.