Update from iPhone Users who switched

bullittmustang

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have had an iPhone since the very first one, still have it. I have also had the Galaxy S4,S5,S6,S6 edge and now the S7edge. The S7 edge is my daily driver. I will the pop the sim in my iPhone 6 plus once in awhile. I can say the S7 edge is the best phone I have had. I thought the battery was good on the iPhone 6 plus, it is even better on the S7 edge. I really am completely satisfied with battery life. I have gone well over 24 hours without putting it on a charger with nearly 6 hours of screen time.
The screen is amazing. Bright and clear, far better than the iPhone, in my opinion.
The only thing I miss about the iPhone is iMessage and FaceTime. Apple cannot be beat in that department. I wish they would make an Android app for both. I would be happy to pay top dollar for them.

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Hangouts does both text and video calling, works seemlessly between desktop and phone / tablets, I wish more people would use it, I use it whenever I can. I know Google is working on a completely new all in one messaging app, let's hope they get it right.

BigHonu

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding some of the Google Maps comments here. I've read more than one poster here who has mentioned Google Maps being a bit jittery on Android. Are you talking about when navigating? I use Google maps fairly frequently on my Nexus 6P and have never had an issue. It's buttery smooth. Just wondering....thanks.

GC

For me its the time it takes to draw up the screen and how jerky it is as I move around the map. I have not used it for navigation yet, only to find an address/location.

puddlejumper32

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I have had an iPhone since the very first one, still have it. I have also had the Galaxy S4,S5,S6,S6 edge and now the S7edge. The S7 edge is my daily driver. I will the pop the sim in my iPhone 6 plus once in awhile. I can say the S7 edge is the best phone I have had. I thought the battery was good on the iPhone 6 plus, it is even better on the S7 edge. I really am completely satisfied with battery life. I have gone well over 24 hours without putting it on a charger with nearly 6 hours of screen time.
The screen is amazing. Bright and clear, far better than the iPhone, in my opinion.
The only thing I miss about the iPhone is iMessage and FaceTime. Apple cannot be beat in that department. I wish they would make an Android app for both. I would be happy to pay top dollar for them.
Apparently you don't have S7 because the s7 has video calling. Facetime is just a so-called fancy name for video calling and S7 has it's just like Google Hangouts.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Apparently you don't have S7 because the s7 has video calling. Facetime is just a so-called fancy name for video calling and S7 has it's just like Google Hangouts.

Unless I'm mistaken, the native video calling on the S7 doesn't work cross carrier. I can video call with my wife on her S7e on AT&T but not with my co-worker who has an S7 on Verizon.

Sure, you can use Hangouts, but most non tech enthusiasts hardly even know about hangouts and its capabilities.

Not an Apple fan at all but it is hard to beat Apple's implementation of FaceTime.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
While there are plenty of apps to video call such as Skype. I agree apples FaceTime being built in works well. But if you want a truly cross carrier and cross platform video call you should use Skype or something like that.

I don't video call anyone but I see why lots of people use the feature.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
While there are plenty of apps to video call such as Skype. I agree apples FaceTime being built in works well. But if you want a truly cross carrier and cross platform video call you should use Skype or something like that.

I don't video call anyone but I see why lots of people use the feature.

i'm not big into video calls, but i use Viber once in a while, over skype.

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For me its the time it takes to draw up the screen and how jerky it is as I move around the map. I have not used it for navigation yet, only to find an address/location.

Hi Big, and thanks for the response. Just to check out a situation similar to what you described, I searched an address on my PC for a hotel in Fresno California (an area that I know has NOT been previoulsy open in Maps on my phone). I then opened Maps on my 6P, and searched the address. It found it quickly and the map opened up smoothly and quickly. I flicked the map around the display, zoomed in and out, and everything was as smooth as you could hope for. Just letting you know this because if it works smoothly on my phone, it should work smoothly on yours. Are you loading the map over cellular or wifi?

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I wish that could work. Unfortunately iMessage is also huge on my core office team. There's no getting them to switch...

Heh. It's the reverse here. Whatsapp usage is so widespread, that very few even bother with imessage around here. We got a small group of around 80 users, and hardly anyone bothers responding on iMessage. In fact i discovered 4-5 friends had even disabled the damn service.

iMessage and widespread usage seems to be a US thing mostly. Rest of the place depending on the part of the world, its other multi platform messenger services.

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

Well it's hard to beat the implementation. Hangouts is a royal mess compared to facetime audio/video. Its just there.

Hangouts needs a full re-design. The cloud like functionality of telegram and the ease of facetime calling.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Heh. It's the reverse here. Whatsapp usage is so widespread, that very few even bother with imessage around here. We got a small group of around 80 users, and hardly anyone bothers responding on iMessage. In fact i discovered 4-5 friends had even disabled the damn service.

iMessage and widespread usage seems to be a US thing mostly. Rest of the place depending on the part of the world, its other multi platform messenger services.

US uses Text messaging, iMessage and Facebook messenger.

You can't WhatsApp someone without a smartphone. You also can't WhatsApp someone without a data connection. You also can't whatsapp someone without their contact information/permission.

iMessage and Textmessage (same thing, one uses the other as backup if it fails) is almost guaranteed your recipient cell phone receives your message.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You can't WhatsApp someone without a smartphone. You also can't WhatsApp someone without a data connection.

If we are strictly talking iMessage than these two go with iMessage as well :). iMessage does have the backup of sending a text (as long as that is set) but iMessage needs the smartphone (iPhone) and data connection to work.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Apparently, you have no clue what you are talking about. The S7 video calling is nothing like FaceTime.

Not necessary true, it all depends on the phones involved, in my case with 5 S7, S7 edge, Note 5 and S6, of my 7 family plan members alone I can do Video calls just like FaceTime and Messaging similar to iMessage, why? because I have the newest Samsung Flagships and T-Mobile service. T-Mobile added the Video calling and Enhanced messaging last year begining with the latest flagships at that time, and yes, the experience is the very similar if not the same than with FaceTime.

You must see it like this, Android is a whole universe of phones of different brands and models with different OS skins and versions while iPhone just have 1 OS to deal with, extremely easy to develop exclusive stuff like FaceTime and iMessage. So, one thing we android users won't be seen anytime soon is a standard video or messaging protocol where every single Android phone can use, but at least, it's possible if we share similar phone models (similar to all of us having an iPhone) and carrier as I described above.

Just saying...

Last edited:

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
US uses Text messaging, iMessage and Facebook messenger.

You can't WhatsApp someone without a smartphone. You also can't WhatsApp someone without a data connection.
iMessage and Textmessage (same thing, one uses the other as backup if it fails) is almost guaranteed your recipient cell phone receives your message.

Utterly redundant post. I am fully aware of this, having used iphones since the inception. Anyway i was merely pointing out imessage only dominates in the US market and everywhere else its imessage, not what its limitations are.

Laserbutt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Apparently, you have no clue what you are talking about. The S7 video calling is nothing like FaceTime.

The advanced video calling feature on my Verizon s7 edge works flawlessly. Much more stable than hangouts. I previously used FaceTime and it's very comparable. I use it everyday with my wife

Posted via the Android Central App

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
The advanced video calling feature on my Verizon s7 edge works flawlessly. Much more stable than hangouts. I previously used FaceTime and it's very comparable. I use it everyday with my wife

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes, the Verizon Video Calling on the S7E is every bit as good as Face Time. Hangouts is a no go for me.

BigHonu

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi Big, and thanks for the response. Just to check out a situation similar to what you described, I searched an address on my PC for a hotel in Fresno California (an area that I know has NOT been previoulsy open in Maps on my phone). I then opened Maps on my 6P, and searched the address. It found it quickly and the map opened up smoothly and quickly. I flicked the map around the display, zoomed in and out, and everything was as smooth as you could hope for. Just letting you know this because if it works smoothly on my phone, it should work smoothly on yours. Are you loading the map over cellular or wifi?
It was both on WiFi and cell. However, I just tried it again, and everything is running smoothly. Haven't changed a thing, but it's definitely better now.

alhc78

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the Note 5 as well as numerous other phones and never had any type of burn in. That's interesting.
Same here I've had more phones then should be allowed. My Samsung note (the original) note 3, note5, s3, s5, and we'll it's a little early but I'll still gonna add my s7 edge have never had a burn in. On the iPhone side I have been luckyet as well. I've owned one of the variants each year except for the original well I had it but got terrible service and returned it.

Now my daughter on the other hand. Her iphone 5 is yellow along all edges of the screen. Drives me nuts. Looks awful.

bullittmustang

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Not necessary true, it all depends on the phones involved, in my case with 5 S7, S7 edge, Note 5 and S6, of my 7 family plan members alone I can do Video calls just like FaceTime and Messaging similar to iMessage, why? because I have the newest Samsung Flagships and T-Mobile service. T-Mobile added the Video calling and Enhanced messaging last year begining with the latest flagships at that time, and yes, the experience is the very similar if not the same than with FaceTime.

You must see it like this, Android is a whole universe of phones of different brands and models with different OS skins and versions while iPhone just have 1 OS to deal with, extremely easy to develop exclusive stuff like FaceTime and iMessage. So, one thing we android users won't be seen anytime soon is a standard video or messaging protocol where every single Android phone can use, but at least, it's possible if we share similar phone models (similar to all of us having an iPhone) and carrier as I described above.

Just saying...

My comments were for puddlejumper who said I apparently dont have an s7.
Erasat, I'll understand what you are saying. I'm sure the video calling on the S7 works well. It's just that nobody in my circle of family and friends have that option, so I have never had the opportunity to try it.
All I'm saying is the IMessage and FaceTime are the apps of choice for my family and friends, and they work flawlessly. I use the stock messaging app for messages and Facebook messenger for video. It is a good work around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781