home key as a capacitive button?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Coming from devices with on screen buttons, I actually quite like the home button for waking the screen when it's sat on my desk. But I find it clunky for for going home and tend to use the back button as much as possible instead. Given that there is a capacitive function due to the fingerprint reader, is there anyway to set it up so that when the screen is unlocked, the home button will work just by touching it rather than pressing it?

I just noticed the easyhome app which looks to do what I want but not perfect reviews. Are there any other options?

Posted via the Android Central App

Hassan272

May 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure about that, but you could download the Back Button app from the Play Store to enable on-screen navigation buttons. Worth a try.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Give Easyhome a try. I've been using it, and as long as I set the option "Short touch" on it seems to work pretty well. Depending on how may, and what, apps you keep running in the background you may also need to set the Show notification option on to prevent Android from killing the process.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Give Easyhome a try. I've been using it, and as long as I set the option "Short touch" on it seems to work pretty well. Depending on how may, and what, apps you keep running in the background you may also need to set the Show notification option on to prevent Android from killing the process.

I started using the app and really liked it but had to give it up after a few hours. I doing metal for Facebook wasn't compatible somehow and wouldn't load. Also I had occasions with the screen going completely black almost as if touchwiz had crashed yet I don't think it had. Strange. Have you had any issues?

I've joined the Google plus page and commented in the hope that the developer might look into this but it seems very quiet on there. It's a shame as the app has serious potential of it could be made to work reliably.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't use any Facebook apps, so I can't comment on that, but I've had no problems with the screen going black. The only problem, if you want to call it that, I've had is that occasionally it's slow to respond, and I have to lift my finger a touch it again. But even that's pretty rare.

exapplerep

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I like easyHome but it will occasionally stop working even though the app shows it's started. I have to stop and start the function within the app and then it's back up 'n running. Wish the dev could fix this (others complain about it, as well) but until something better comes along, I can live with it.

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
You can enable the screen to light up by swiping over the sensors at the top of the screen. The setting is in the Accessibility settings (it's in the dexterity section).Once the screen is lit, you touch, not press the home button to unlock.

So it works like this: your phone is sitting on the desk and you want to check something, You wave your hand over the top sensors then touch the button to unlock. Works well, but generally the phone has to be sitting somewhat horizontal and still before you can wake this way.

I've read that Nougat 7.1.1 will have double-tap to wake, like my old LG phones did, and if so (and we get this version), then we might be able to double-tap then touch from any angle.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
You can enable the screen to light up by swiping over the sensors at the top of the screen. The setting is in the Accessibility settings (it's in the dexterity section).Once the screen is lit, you touch, not press the home button to unlock.

So it works like this: your phone is sitting on the desk and you want to check something, You wave your hand over the top sensors then touch the button to unlock. Works well, but generally the phone has to be sitting somewhat horizontal and still before you can wake this way.

I've read that Nougat 7.1.1 will have double-tap to wake, like my old LG phones did, and if so (and we get this version), then we might be able to double-tap then touch from any angle.

By the time we get 7.1.1 the Galaxy 13 will be out.

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Here's what I've seen: In response to a question from a member of the Galaxy Beta Program who suggested that Samsung could include “double tap to wake” and an upgrade to Android 7.1.1, the company had the following to say:

“Thank you for your suggestion. We are pleased to announce that we will support Android 7.1.1 from the official Nougat OS release. We look forward to receiving your additional valuable suggestions.”

I'd guess Q1 of 2017 for a release

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01