WiFi frequently disconnecting / reconnecting - possible solution?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
For the first few weeks I've had this phone, I've noticed that WiFi would disconnect, then almost immediately reconnect. I've seen a couple of other posts about this, too. Not a major problem, unless it happened in the middle of trying to download an app from the Play store, or load a web page. It was annoying having to restart the download or reload the web page. It happened most days, but sometimes it would only happen a couple of times during the day, sometime 5 or 6 times in an hour. (I've got tasker scripts that take actions on WiFi Disconnect or Connect, which is how I noticed and tracked it.)

I looked at all kinds of settings, rebooted, rebooted the router, etc. Couldn't figure out any cause.

A couple of days ago I noticed a setting in developer options: "Keep mobile data turned on." The description says "Keep mobile data turned on at all times, even while Wi-Fi is in use, to make it quicker to switch networks." I figured if nothing else, his would keep me from losing connectivity in the brief interval when WiFi disconnected, so I turned it on.

Surprisingly, after doing that, I no longer see WiFi disconnecting and reconnecting. My Tasker scripts only execute when expected (like leaving my house and getting out of range of the access point). I don't know why it should change this behavior, so to test it I turned the option back off. And I still haven't had WiFi disconnecting and reconnecting unexpectedly.

I'm not saying changing this option solved the problem. In fact, I don't have any explanation as to WHY changing this should affect the problem at all. But if you're having the same issue, it can't hurt to try.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
For the first few weeks I've had this phone, I've noticed that WiFi would disconnect, then almost immediately reconnect. I've seen a couple of other posts about this, too. Not a major problem, unless it happened in the middle of trying to download an app from the Play store, or load a web page. It was annoying having to restart the download or reload the web page. It happened most days, but sometimes it would only happen a couple of times during the day, sometime 5 or 6 times in an hour. (I've got tasker scripts that take actions on WiFi Disconnect or Connect, which is how I noticed and tracked it.)

I looked at all kinds of settings, rebooted, rebooted the router, etc. Couldn't figure out any cause.

A couple of days ago I noticed a setting in developer options: "Keep mobile data turned on." The description says "Keep mobile data turned on at all times, even while Wi-Fi is in use, to make it quicker to switch networks." I figured if nothing else, his would keep me from losing connectivity in the brief interval when WiFi disconnected, so I turned it on.

Surprisingly, after doing that, I no longer see WiFi disconnecting and reconnecting. My Tasker scripts only execute when expected (like leaving my house and getting out of range of the access point). I don't know why it should change this behavior, so to test it I turned the option back off. And I still haven't had WiFi disconnecting and reconnecting unexpectedly.

I'm not saying changing this option solved the problem. In fact, I don't have any explanation as to WHY changing this should affect the problem at all. But if you're having the same issue, it can't hurt to try.

Turn that option back off and go into your Settings > Wifi > MORE menu and turn off SMART NETWORK SWITCH.
See if that stops the issue

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Im having both data and wifi issues. When I left my house today, my data was not connecting. I had to go into settings and toggle between global and lte to get it up and running. This happens quite often. Then, after I got home, I realized I wasn't getting any messages because my wifi shut off by itself. I had to go into settings and turn it back on. When I called Verizon, they said it could be a faulty sim card so they sent me out another one that's arriving tomorrow. If tgat doesn't work I told them I wanted this S7 edge swapped out with another new one.

Posted via Android Central App

src1425

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Still having constant wifi disconnection issues. I use Automateit Pro, and I have the phone set up to automatically turn off bluetooth when it connect to wifi. I just checked Automateit's log, and in the past 6 1/2 hours at work the phone has reconnected to wifi 12 times. Seems a little excessive....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12