Pink line of pixels down edge screen

OnTheRun 1

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Go to phone and dial *#0*#

Opens a test interface. Click between red green and blue until the line goes away. Found this tip after a lot of searching and it works!!!

this worked the first time but the pink line came back an hour later. now its not working anymore. been licking between red gree and blue for the last 5 min straight lol

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
this worked the first time but the pink line came back an hour later. now its not working anymore. been licking between red gree and blue for the last 5 min straight lol

*#0*# is only a temporary fix. It worked for me for a little while and then the lines just got worse over time.
I finally exchanged it. See post #14 above.

OnTheRun 1

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
*#0*# is only a temporary fix. It worked for me for a little while and then the lines just got worse over time.
I finally exchanged it. See post #14 above.

i decided to get my phone replaced. Just spoke with my phone provider and the replacement phone is on its way. The rep told me to send my old phone back without any battery, battery tray, cover, sim card. I just checked my phone and i dont think i can remove any of this. Do i just send it back the way it is, or is there a hidden slot that im not seeing?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
i decided to get my phone replaced. Just spoke with my phone provider and the replacement phone is on its way. The rep told me to send my old phone back without any battery, battery tray, cover, sim card. I just checked my phone and i dont think i can remove any of this. Do i just send it back the way it is, or is there a hidden slot that im not seeing?

Just take the SIM (and sd card if you have one) out before you send it in. You can't remove the battery.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
This is the second time this happens I replaced the first one and I don't feel like going through the process again, I tried Sergio's suggestion and it's worked for now but I'll see how long it lasts

Beckyhutch

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
My sons phone had the same issue- pink line from top to bottom on screem. After talking with Samsung several times they told us to take it in to Geek Squad to get repaired. Geek Squad told us that is was a user issue due to being dropped. No signs of being dropped and with only 2 light scratches on screen. The manager said they could fix it and replace screen for $200. The screen looked fine but this is what they told us was the only way to get fixed because according to them it was a user issue and not covered warrenty.
I feel like they took advantage of us and lied to. What has been the outcome for others? Covered under warrenty or user issue?

Thanks!

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
In response to Becky's post the first time this happened I sent it to the geek squad by Purolator and they send me a replacement but I have the full geek squad protection

OKAII

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Living in San Jose, California, and I have the same pink line issue after 4 months having the s7 edge phone.
I took it to AT&T (provider) Device Support Center, and they told me it is a well-known issue, but since you have a crack on the corner of your phone, we don't support your phone and manufacturer warranty is automatically canceled!!! RIDICUlOUS!!!! They know their phones have problem but they don't accept any responsibility!!!!

I also asked if there is any solution that I can fix this problem by myself, and they told me: "Honestly, this is the problem with its hardware not the screen or any single part, and the whole device needs to be replaced".

I don't know if there is any legal action going on with this issue. If yes, please let me know too.

By the way, I tried all the solutions suggested here and in other websites, all of them temporarly worked but the line came back after a while.

I think Samsung won't be around in 2020...

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
So, after about 3-4 months of tolerating this PINK line down the right side of my screen I finally tried to get AT&T to do something about it under my 12 month warranty. I didn't realize that AT&T got rid of their Repair Centers...at least in my area, so the company-owned store told me to call AT&T Warranty service. Additionally, they told me to do a factory reset to see if it would fix it. So I did that this morning...the factory reset didn't cure anything. So I called and they are shipping me another phone, a refurb, I presume, with a 90 day warranty...they did recognize that it is a Known Issue without a resolution...but on occasion a factory reset does fix it.

Best to luck to others!

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately trying out the testing colour panels didn't work for me and pushing lightly on the phone up in the top right hand corner only acted as a very temporary fix.

My local Carphone Warehouse Store has an authorised Samsung Service Centre in it so they replaced the front display under the Manufacturing. Took a couple of days.

From a Video I've seen it appears to be caused by the way the connection is mage from display to the connecter on the internal board in that top section of the phone.

So far no further issues.

Andre Mussmann

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I had the same problem and the colour panels also didn't work. The pixels is damaged somewhere along that line and what the test panels do is they try to warm up and revive that pixels.
So what I did was rub against the line with my thumb pressing down on the screen with light pressure and after about 10 seconds line dissapeared. Will see if it lasts.

Howie0520

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, the pink line went away when I did the test interface. But seeing some of these other messages, the test interface is just a temporary fix? This is the first time the pink line happen to me, lets hope it does not come back.

Manny Patel

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Just got the s8 plus and all of sudden the pink line appeared after having it only 2 days. Have not dropped it or anything. Still have all the plastic on it that came with it.

RandomUserForHire

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Found this link as my phone recently developed this pink/purple line issue. I have also noticed that they pretty much develop in the same basic location on every affected phone. Long story short, Samsung claims damage to the display, due to being dropped or whatever. However, many users claim that they never have dropped their phone. Both seem to be 'sort of' correct. It seems to be caused by something coming loose inside the phone, and can be exacerbated by a drop, but also happens simply due to the day-to-day usage of the phone and the inherent jostling it experiences.
The current accepted 'fix' of going in to the test screen and 'resetting' the red, green, and blue actually does nothing, which is why some people have to do it many times to see a result. Ok, so it actually doesnt do 'nothing', per se, but it is not the tests solving the problem beyond causing users to press a specific area of the screen. You can achieve the same results no matter what screen is displayed at the time, although something that prevents an action/menu from bring triggered by the press is best. I usually just use the 'recent apps' screen. You can press slightly below the selfie camera, on the actual screen, and when touching the correct area you will see the line disappear. It seems to only take a light touch, so dont press TOO hard and crack your screen. You may have to do it multiple times (sometimes a LOT), but it should provide at least temporary relief without needing to send your phone in or take it to a repair center. This will also hopefully help the users who can not get the test screen to display.
Hopefully Samsung will come up with a better response than they currently have thus far...

Last edited:

michaelchang28

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
My sons phone had the same issue- pink line from top to bottom on screem. After talking with Samsung several times they told us to take it in to Geek Squad to get repaired. Geek Squad told us that is was a user issue due to being dropped. No signs of being dropped and with only 2 light scratches on screen. The manager said they could fix it and replace screen for $200. The screen looked fine but this is what they told us was the only way to get fixed because according to them it was a user issue and not covered warrenty.
I feel like they took advantage of us and lied to. What has been the outcome for others? Covered under warrenty or user issue?

Thanks!

I just found out that it's not screen problem. it's loose wiring on the LCD screen, could be caused by drop. only need to open up n reattached wire firmly.. 10 mins job

you can press where the lines are firmly at top n bottom and it will fix it temporarily, but any stress on the screen or violent shaking and the line will come back

Jack Dallas

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
The Pink Line problem (or magenta line) is an ongoing issue with both the S7 and continues with the S8 models. Samsung has a booth in my local Best Buy and he said he has seen the problem "several times before". My S8+ that was 10 weeks old just developed a magenta line down the extreme left side of the phone screen. I called Samsung support and they immediately acknowledged the problem and told me I needed to mail the phone back to them and they would fix or replace the phone within two weeks at their Plano, Texas facility. I mailed the phone back by UPS and stopped by ATT to have my old Note 4 re-activated with a new SIM. I thought that after the China Syndrome battery issues with the Note 7 they would have been extra cautious with the new release.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie