Always on Display and battery life

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
yeah, mine doesn't really get warm when fast charging. my handset gets much warmer when using it than it does when charging it (fast or non-quick charge)

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
no, you're not alone. I've done it every night since I had the HTC thunderbolt...I have a Note 4 now, and it's not even necessary. as stated before, most sane people tend to do this out of practice. people who run out of battery on most decent phones by noon don't see it as a priority.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Given that battery temps get pretty high when fast charging, using it to fully charge the phone is, in my opinion, too long of a period of time to have it at that temp. Likewise, playing a VR game (also raises temps considerably) for a long period of time would also damage the battery. You can look up safe and unsafe battery temperature for Lithium Polymer batteries to verify.

Also, Samsung has said Adaptive Fast Charge is a detriment to the battery if used consistently for long periods of time and they do recommend turning it off on occasion to preserve the cells.

I'd just like to have the scientific data that shows how much of an effect fast charging has. There appears to be some mitigating factors for fast charging with the S7, including slowing down of the charging from around 50-60%, and particularly from 80-90%. Therefore the amount of time the battery is significantly (again, it's anyone's guess if it really is significant or not) "hot" for is probably less than 30-40 minutes. In my experience with the S7, the phone gets as warm playing certain games (not VR related) as it does during fast charging. I've actually noticed the phone getting hotter when navigating with "GPS alone" enabled than during fast charging. So if what you're saying is such a big deal, then there appear to be many other activities that can cause (significant) detriment to battery life.

From my reading around the internet so far, it seems to be speculation that fast charging produces battery temperatures that are detrimental to long term battery life. Again, if you can give me links to some reliable scientific resources on this topic, I'd be most grateful - it's an interesting topic.

Here's a news article that challenges whether fast charging or discharging is detrimental at all:
Rapid charging and draining doesn’t damage lithium ion battery electrodes as much as thought | Engineering

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Also, Samsung has said Adaptive Fast Charge is a detriment to the battery if used consistently for long periods of time and they do recommend turning it off on occasion to preserve the cells.

Got a source for this?

Fast charging is fine so is normal. The degradation over the phones life cycle is negligible from what I've seen. I have the Exynos version which supports adaptive fast charging, gets a bit warm but more current pushed through is going to do that. Don't mind, not bad enough for it to be an issue.

We know that it doesn't support quick charge 3.0, but is there a comparison for the 2.0 and Samsung's adaptive fast charging? For both charge time and heat.

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
surfing the web, watching video, or making phone calls causes my phone to get warmer than quick charge does... i'm fairly certain the phone is meant to be used. and charged.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
surfing the web, watching video, or making phone calls causes my phone to get warmer than quick charge does... i'm fairly certain the phone is meant to be used. and charged.

The fast charging is warmest during the 0-50% period. Beyond 50-60%, the phone is only slightly warm, and from around 80-90%, it's barely warm at all. It never gets "hot" to me, but then I guess these feelings are all subjective. And yes, I agree that there are many other activities that make the phone just as warm as during fast charging. As noted above, some activities in fact make it warmer/hotter than during fast charging.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

I have the exact opposite heat issues with battery temperature. So i'm not sure how to quantify that.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
All I know is that I'm continually impressed by the battery on this puppy. (I have Always on, well, always off. ☺)

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 15115.jpg
    15115.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 37

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. I feel like unless you need or really enjoy this feature, just turn it off and never turn it on again.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Agreed! I leave my always on display on all the time because I never run out of battery. I've had 3 iPhones and 6 Android phones and I've never had battery life close to my edge. It just makes the whole experience better.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

Attachments

• 2299.jpg
    2299.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 30

Kimmer Rock

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
When I had my Galaxy S5, I could go 4-5 days between charges. Then I got the Galaxy S7 a few weeks ago and now I can't go longer than than about 36 hours. I now give it a quick charge each night at 10pm or so for a little less than an hour to get it back to 100%. Then lie it face down during the night.
But this is a pain when I was used to only charging twice a week.

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
"When I had my Galaxy S5, I could go 4-5 days between charges. "

you have the world's record for longest lasting S5 ever anywhere all time.