So what good is this insurance?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Copied from Samsung's SAMSUNG PROTECTION PLUS
SAMPLE SERVICE CONTRACT TERMS AND CONDITIONS

"MECHANICAL DAMAGE AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE excludes: any loss, repair or replacement necessitated by acts of God; consequential, incidental or intentional damage;"

I've no clue as to precisely what Samsung is trying to do here with their exclusions, but I'm suspicious that is designed to hold them harmless from damage to your phone. Can someone explain "incidental" and "consequential" as it pertains here?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It means it does not matter how the damage happens or whether or not it's the cause of the problem you're filing the claim for.

People like to discredit the monthly insurance cost from carriers, but after having to take advantage of it I have no complaints.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Copied from Samsung's SAMSUNG PROTECTION PLUS
SAMPLE SERVICE CONTRACT TERMS AND CONDITIONS

"MECHANICAL DAMAGE AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE excludes: any loss, repair or replacement necessitated by acts of God; consequential, incidental or intentional damage;"

I've no clue as to precisely what Samsung is trying to do here with their exclusions, but I'm suspicious that is designed to hold them harmless from damage to your phone. Can someone explain "incidental" and "consequential" as it pertains here?

consequential damage means something like because your phone died, you missed a call from your boss and got fired. In other words, something else that happened as a consequence of your phone not working. Samsung is only responsible for your phone, not anything else.

Incidental damages is similar, but general refers to additional costs you incur in getting your phone repaired or as a result of the failure. For example, you drop the phone into a tank at Sea World. An Orca eats it. Sea World bills you for the cost of surgery to save the Orca. Samsung isn't responsible. Or, more realistically, you drop the phone in a toilet, and have to call a plumber to get it out. That's on you. Or you crush the phone, which causes the battery to leak and catch fire, which sets your car on fire. Samsung's not liable for your car.

If you Google those terms, you'll find good explanations. But it's not designed to hold them harmless for damage to the phone, but to other damages related to damage to your phone.

tOSU

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
It means it does not matter how the damage happens or whether or not it's the cause of the problem you're filing the claim for.

People like to discredit the monthly insurance cost from carriers, but after having to take advantage of it I have no complaints.

This. Time = $$$. I'd gladly pay $11 a month and a $200 deductible and have peace-of-mind knowing that the longest I'll be without a phone is a couple of days. Those insurance programs that charge $100-150 up front and hassle you to go to local repair shops, submit multiple claims and then send you a check for 2/3 of the price of a new phone if it can't be fixed--too much time wasted.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
This. Time = $$$. I'd gladly pay $11 a month and a $200 deductible and have peace-of-mind knowing that the longest I'll be without a phone is a couple of days. Those insurance programs that charge $100-150 up front and hassle you to go to local repair shops, submit multiple claims and then send you a check for 2/3 of the price of a new phone if it can't be fixed--too much time wasted.

I won't argue with your statement, but Samsung's insurance ships you a new (or reconditioned) phone under pretty much the same conditions as the Assurian contracts. The main difference is that Assurian covers loss and theft, Samsung doesn't.

• To file a claim, please visit SPPmobileclaims.com or call 1-866-553-3239. We are available 7 days a week (9AM-9PM EST).
  • A deductible applies when an accidental damage claim is filed. The deductible is $79 for all devices.
  • A replacement device will be shipped to you on the next business day, Monday through Friday, once a claim is approved.
  • Once you have received your replacement, you can use the same packaging to return your defective device. A prepaid shipping label is included in the replacement packaging.

tOSU

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
I won't argue with your statement, but Samsung's insurance ships you a new (or reconditioned) phone under pretty much the same conditions as the Assurian contracts. The main difference is that Assurian covers loss and theft, Samsung doesn't.

Ah, I see. That seems pretty straight-forward and hassle-free. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy used to have awesome insurance (they are about the same as Assurion now). Back when I was still a Blackberry (Storm) owner, up until my S3, they had a no-hassle insurance - you could bring your phone in, show them it didn't work, they'd grab a new one, activate it, and you'd walk out a half hour later with a new phone. They don't have that model anymore? No problem, you get the new one now (Storm 2 in my case). At the time it was only like $2 more a month, a no-brainer. I guess too many people took advantage of it and they quit doing the good-deal program. Now you're lucky to get someone that can spell cellphone let alone know anything about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress