Always On Displaying Not Moving As Much After Update

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Always On Display No Longer Moving After the latest update from Samsung.

Those of you who claim the image isnt moving 1 pixel every minute--do you really expect to notice a movement of ONE PIXEL, on a screen with such a high of a DPI??

Thiscrapsucks35

May 2, 2013
Visit site

Mine moves around every minute.

I wonder if this is something managed by the carrier. I'm on ATT (S7E).

Cplampman

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

Mine moves around every minute.

I wonder if this is something managed by the carrier. I'm on ATT (S7E).

Go to the AOD settings and hit about always on display. An update should be available if yours is moving around every minute.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site

No it would have to remain in the exact same spot to have that result.

okaaaaay...but the font isnt ONE pixel wide. There are still pixels in the middle that are activated the same color for a long time. Lets say the font is 30 pixels wide, it would take 30 minutes for it to move completely to different pixles.

Am I wrong here??

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: New always on display update?

I left the AOD enabled overnight (phone off charger) for about 7 hours and when I looked at the display, the AOD was gone. This is another difference since the update - previously, the AOD never switched itself off unless it was upside down or in my pocket. Now it appears to switch itself off in a dark room (not sure exactly how dark it has to be) after a certain period of time. Another possibility is that it switches itself off when the phone doesn't physically move for a period of time? Would be nice to have the ability to configure these features.

EDIT: when i say the "AOD was gone" above, i mean nothing would reactivate it unless i pressed the home/power button and then switched the phone back off (in the scenario of AOD switching off due to being upside down or in pocket, moving it and/or exposing the phone would automatically trigger the AOD to re-enable. This isn't the case with what i observed by leaving the phone in a dark room overnight). Anyone else noticing this?

Last edited:

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

okaaaaay...but the font isnt ONE pixel wide. There are still pixels in the middle that are activated the same color for a long time. Lets say the font is 30 pixels wide, it would take 30 minutes for it to move completely to different pixles.

Am I wrong here??

No, your 100% right. Screen burn in here we come. :-\

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

I quite like having the display moving around as it does so I'll be leaving the update for a while.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

By the way, these guys seem confident that screen burn-in is still prevented with this new update:

10 Common Galaxy S7 Problems & How to Fix Them

"This small update changes how the Always On Display actually works. It no longer moves while the screen is off, which was very distracting. Instead, individual pixels move on occasion which we can’t see with our naked eye, and the AOD moves each time a user turns the screen on or off. This prevents burn in using two different methods, but isn’t nearly as distracting. Check for updates now, and feel free to re-enable this feature now that this fix is rolling out."

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

Also, I notice that the AOD is only at the top or middle of the screen after this latest update. Never see it below the middle of the screen anymore. :(

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

30 minutes would not be enough time to - you know what, you're right. In another month's time, all of your LEDs will just be totally burned out on this device. Not only that, but there will be scratches all over the front and back that will be totally unrelated to anything you've done. And the glass will be shattered in multiple places. I don't know why you don't just go ahead and throw the phone away right now.

Maybe your phone will be beat to hell and back, mine won't.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site

Same here. I thought it would be useless but now I really would miss it if it were off. I have it on a stand at my desk all day and seeing status and time is nice. Verizon Message+ indicates missed text's and of course you have missed calls, etc. too

I just go by the blinking LED to know if I have any notifications, as I have done the past many years over at least three phones, so personally don't really need to have it on the Always-On screen, but I don't mind it, of course. Before I got the phone, I was excited about the Always-On feature, so knew I would use it.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site

I left the AOD enabled overnight (phone off charger) for about 7 hours and when I looked at the display, the AOD was gone. This is another difference since the update - previously, the AOD never switched itself off unless it was upside down or in my pocket. Now it appears to switch itself off in a dark room (not sure exactly how dark it has to be) after a certain period of time. Another possibility is that it switches itself off when the phone doesn't physically move for a period of time? Would be nice to have the ability to configure these features.

EDIT: when i say the "AOD was gone" above, i mean nothing would reactivate it unless i pressed the home/power button and then switched the phone back off (in the scenario of AOD switching off due to being upside down or in pocket, moving it and/or exposing the phone would automatically trigger the AOD to re-enable. This isn't the case with what i observed by leaving the phone in a dark room overnight). Anyone else noticing this?

I haven't had that happen with mine. It stays on 24/7 unless I flip it on its face (I don't usually carry it in a pocket, so don't know about that).

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

Left the phone in a dark room (not completely dark) for nearly 9 hours without touching/moving it and the AOD didn't disappear this time. Not sure if I restarted the phone after the AOD update before, so perhaps restarting it has fixed the disappearing issue.

I think this update is very good, assuming screen burn-in isn't a problem, which I'm quite sure it isn't as above. I can now leave the phone in front of me rather than to the side/behind me as the irritating sudden movements are gone. I do notice that every 30-60 minutes, the bigger jumps are still occurring (as expected, given the changelog describes this), and this is just fine given it will prevent screen burn-in. These bigger jumps that occur once an hour are essentially not distracting at all too.

Anyway, here are the main practical changes since the update of AOD to version 1.1.22:

-Slightly dimmer overall, especially in low light conditions
-Doesn't jump around every minute now. Makes (almost) imperceptible movements every minute, and randomly jumps every 30-60 minutes
-Bug fix (haven't seen this bug described on the internet, but I noticed it from day 1 and kept quiet about it hehe) - when phone goes into standby, AOD immediately disappears for about 10-30 seconds before coming back on. It appeared to happen randomly, but I managed to fairly consistently reproduce this bug by tapping the "sensor" area (I think it's the light/proximity detector etc?) in fairly bright conditions just to the left of the top earpiece while the phone was going into standby and AOD was meant to turn on (that is, tapping the "sensor" area during the 2-3 second pause before AOD turns on when phone goes into standby). I think before the update, this tapping of the "sensor" area confused the AOD regarding whether it should switch off or on (we know it switches off when it's in close proximity to something, like in a pocket or if it's face down on a surface), but following the update, this issue seems to be fixed. Not sure if it's intentional or not though, as it's not in the changelog. However, since the update, I haven't noticed this bug in any form. So good stuff from Samsung!

Overall, I've been quite impressed with Samsung - the two main bugs (quite minor to be honest, but still) that I noticed since getting the phone have been fixed! The bug above, and this bug was fixed with the April update:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...y-s7-slight-wake-up-lag-sd-card-inserted.html

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

Hi, wonder if a moderator can please merge these threads please:
[link removed from merge]

I think there are another one or two other threads on the same topic too, which could also be merged?

Last edited by a moderator:

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone else noticed the always on display never goes lower then the middle of the screen after this latest update?

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

Has anyone else noticed the always on display never goes lower then the middle of the screen after this latest update?

Yes, the lowest it goes is slightly below the middle. Interesting I guess, but to be honest, it doesn't bother me at all. Probably wouldn't bother 90+% of people I would guess? Are you worried about it?

bad1550

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

Is this update necessary? I have the G935F Unlocked version. If so how would I update?

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site

I don't notice it much because I use one of the calendar-and-clock options, so the bottom of the calendar gets fairly close to the bottom of the screen when the top of the clock is near the center of the screen. Does it go all the way to the top or stop partway there, too?

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site

Is this update necessary? I have the G935F Unlocked version. If so how would I update?

It probably isn't super necessary, but if the constant jumping around distracts or bothers you, I would be sure to update it. Go into the Galaxy Apps store app (in the Samsung folder, if you didn't move it from how your phone came) and in the menu is the option to see your apps from that store - it will be in that list and give you the option to update it.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

Yes, the lowest it goes is slightly below the middle. Interesting I guess, but to be honest, it doesn't bother me at all. Probably wouldn't bother 90+% of people I would guess? Are you worried about it?

I just think you have a way better chance of Screen Burn In with the AOD acting this way than before when it was moving all over the screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie