very small image size

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
i understand that this S7 edge has a smaller resolution than my old LG G4, but the picture file sizes are MUCH MUCH smaller on the S7 edge.

when emailing photos on the LG, i usually had to make a smaller file size version first. no need with the S7.

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
No, in talking about the file size of the picture whether it is emailed, viewed, or nothing at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
When you save a jpg file the amount out compression determines file size. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a setting to allow you control as a real camera would do.

Of course you could save in dng format, open the image in an editing program that supports raw and then save in your choice.

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Uh, the LG has a 16mp camera so of course the images will be bigger (consistently) especially since he set the S7 camera size to 9.1mp to get 16:9 size pics. "Facepalm"

no... i mean MUCH MUCH bigger. many times bigger.

of course the LG g4 has a bigger picture file size. what surprises me is how much larger.

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It could be the specific compression that samsung is using on the device.

that's what i'm thinking.

for one application i use a server for hosting pics and i must email those pics. with the LG, i often had to shrink the file size of ONE pic to get it to work .... the host wouldn't accept large files. with the samsung i do NOT have to shrink the size and i can send several pics at a time.

Belpheg0re

May 3, 2016
Visit site
that's what i'm thinking.

for one application i use a server for hosting pics and i must email those pics. with the LG, i often had to shrink the file size of ONE pic to get it to work .... the host wouldn't accept large files. with the samsung i do NOT have to shrink the size and i can send several pics at a time.

It might be something that the newest version of android does too, or it might be related to the aperture (I'm just spitballing at this point, i'm no photography expert. lol)

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I think Samsung use a very aggressive Jpg compression algorithm. That's why I prefer to shoot in raw and do my own conversions on my Pc. I think that's why some people complain about the S7 photos. It's not the camera it's the compression.

Last edited: