s7 edge water damaged. Water in camera lense and proximity sensor no longer works

nyflipp89

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Was just wondering if anyone else had this problem or had any experiences with this. I've only had this phone for about a week. My sister borrowed my phone and took it to the kiddie pool to take pictures of her kids, phone worked fine at first, it took the footage under water and all was well. 2 hours later i get bacl home and put it on the charger. At first it wouldnt charge but I figured it was just a safety precaution so I just waited until it dried(eventually it started charging normally). But a day later when I was trying to take a picture I noticed that the camera was blurry, I checked the back and there was condensation inside the camera lens as well as behind the glass of the blood pressure reader. I decided to put the phone in a bag of rice. Didn't work. I soon learned that my proximity sensor stopped working as well. The phones screen would not turn off automatically when I put the phone to my face when making a call which made it very difficult to make and receive calls(my face would accidentally hit the hold button). Eventually, the condensation went away after 5 long days but the proximity sensor was permanently damaged. Just to remind you, the phone was only in water for not more than 2 minutes. I find it disappointing that a phone that has been deemed water resistant has these problems. I guess it was a gimmick. Has anyone else had any of these problems?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, no phone can be guaranteed to be 100% waterproof. The S7 edge manual has this to say: "Your device has been tested in a controlled environment and certified to be wateranddust-resistant in specific situations (meets requirements of classification IP68 asdescribed by the international standard IEC 60529-Degrees of Protection providedby Enclosures [IP Code]; test conditions: 15-35°C, 86-106 kPa, 1.5 metre, 30 minutes).Despite this classification, it is still possible for your device to be damaged in certain situations." (bold is mine). Notice that they don't say what "certain situations" entails.

I'm not sure if Samsung's warranty covers water damage. I would bring the phone back to the store and ask for an exchange, since it did not function as it was advertised. If they can't help you, then you'll have to deal directly with Samsung. Good luck!

nyflipp89

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Less than that actually, she literally took 2 pictures and gave it back, maybe it's just my phone? Probably got a bad one out the bunch. I understand the waterproof is not guaranteed but the fact that it was only under for a very small amount of time makes me question the resilience and quality of the device. Maybe it is just my device because I've looked all over the Internet and the only thing I found was a waterproof Sony phone that had this problem. But like I said the device was only in very shallow water for a small amount of time. The day it happened the camera was perfectly fine, the moisture didn't show up until the very next day. What I'd like to see is a whole bunch of water torture tests and how the phones hold up the next day or next couple of days.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Put it I a bag of rice for 24 hours to draw out the moisture. Maybe it'll be fine then

Posted via the Android Central App

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts are that the phone is made to be "water resistant" not water proof. I know the TV ads are playing on the water proof thing, but use your head, it's basically a small computer that you can make phone calls with. I'm getting it for those mistakes of splashing water or the occasional caught in a rain shower, not to answer calls whole in the tub. Now, enough bashing. I'd take it back to the store and pray they'll have mercy on your situation. Most stores will, but if you catch that person on a bad day... Well you know the deal. Good luck!

Posted via the Android Central App

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't care what anyone in this thread says. Samsung rates this phone as IP68 water resistant and as such it should be able to R E S I S T water for the claimed 30 minutes and/or 1.5 meters of depth. They should not tout water resistant abilities if that is not the case.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Off topic: Hey Mike, do you drive a Z06? It looks like you're also an F1 and Ferrari fan, like me?

On topic: Yeah, it should. But I think it's also true that Samsung doesn't market this as an underwater phone / camera, and the water resistance should be viewed as a safety factor for accidental exposure, not an invitation to take it in the swimming pool. Pool water has chlorine in it, which could conceivably damage the seals.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Off topic: Hey Mike, do you drive a Z06? It looks like you're also an F1 and Ferrari fan, like me?

On topic: Yeah, it should. But I think it's also true that Samsung doesn't market this as an underwater phone / camera, and the water resistance should be viewed as a safety factor for accidental exposure, not an invitation to take it in the swimming pool. Pool water has chlorine in it, which could conceivably damage the seals.
Off topic: I've had a number of Z06s/C5s/C6s actually, but currently do not have one. I am a huge fan of F1, but more of an Alonso fan than anything!

On topic: The Samsung guys at Best Buy, at least the one here locally, have a jug of water that they dunk the phone into and leave them for a bit. I'm sure this comes from higher up and is not just their idea, so I would say they definitely do market it as being able to be submerged in water! I hadn't even thought about the chemicals in the pool damaging the seals. Very good point!

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
One thing to remember about using this phone underwater. If you swim with the phone and it impacts the water with force as you would in a normal swimming stroke the water pressure is then considerably higher, this can force water in. It's not just about water depth.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Btw, usually pools have some substance to kill bacterias. Maybe these substances+water damaged your phone.

Posted with ❤Love❤

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Off topic: I've had a number of Z06s/C5s/C6s actually, but currently do not have one. I am a huge fan of F1, but more of an Alonso fan than anything!

After being a Ferrari fan, I'm definitely an Alonso fan, too. It hurt to watch him struggle in that McLaren last year.

danwc

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Mine got water in under the camera module that damaged my screen when water was spilled on the table it sat on. Was wet for about 15 seconds. Samsung said send it in--and just got notification this evening they're not gonna do crap--Beyond Economical Repair. Waiting to actually get it back in hand and see if there is any more detail to what they are saying. But hardly waterproof--and hardly warrantied.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine got water in under the camera module that damaged my screen when water was spilled on the table it sat on. Was wet for about 15 seconds. Samsung said send it in--and just got notification this evening they're not gonna do crap--Beyond Economical Repair. Waiting to actually get it back in hand and see if there is any more detail to what they are saying. But hardly waterproof--and hardly warrantied.

The phone water doesn't cover water damage. You can buy insurance if you need that coverage.

nothappy121

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
have the same problem ive had mines in a pool just to test the water proof that was weeks ago phone was fine i seen scratches on the screen so i tride to clear it up a bit by running water on it and now the cameras are cloudy im so ******* pissed havent even had it 2months

W1bb1y

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Oh how this all sounds so familiar :-( Carphone Warehouse are currently giving me the runaround with the warranty for exactly the same reason - water damage not covered etc... I told them in store that I deliberately did a water test in fairly shallow water (8" max) for no more than a couple of minutes before they sent it off for repair. Seems whatever part of the board controls the sensors (proximity, acceleration, orientation etc) is fried, plus the recent apps button is now dodgy too. Apart from that, the phone is in perfect mint condition, it was just 8 weeks old.

CPW are now refusing to repair or even acknowledge the fact that the its marketed and sold as being water resistant and the reason it is water damaged, is because of either some failure in manufacture, ie. the seals didn't seal properly, or the claims are hugely exaggerated.

I'm fed up with people smugly saying "it's a phone, why would you put it in water", "it's not supposed to be waterproof". Correct, it isn't but it is damn well marketed as being IP68 water resistant, and that's upto 30 mins at 1.5m and it would seem that I'm not the only S7 Edge owner that's come a cropper and had theirs fail WELL below that threshold. It doesn't take much effort to find Samsung's own marketing material bigging it up in this way, and I'm simply not prepared to roll over on the warranty cop out. Admittedly I'm only just at the point of approaching Samsung directly, as I've been giving Carphone Warhouse opportunity to do the right thing. They haven't, so now I'm going to complain to Samsung directly as well. I've read too many posts about Samsung standing behind their warranty terms over water damage, so I started blogging my escapades in advance in the hope that word gets around and might put pressure on.

If you're interested please have a read here at http://cpwandsamsungcomplaint.wordpress.com/ It's obvious I'm not the only one out there with this problem and hopefully if we all shout loud enough, someone might take notice.

Cheers